hulika

Author Topic: Super portable acoustic kit?  (Read 9986 times)

Offline kean

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Super portable acoustic kit?
« on: August 29, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »
Hello!

I'm looking for a very tiny and portable kit, and if anyone could help me out that would be great! I recently saw Ciudad live, and their drummer used this really compact kit that consisted of a small kick drum, a hi hat, and a snare which was mounted on hi hat stand. I'm just starting out so this might be basic knowledge for you drummers here. Hahaha.

Take a look at the drums in this video

It kind of looks like that. I was wondering what were my options if I were to add toms in the future. I'm setting it up in a small space in my home lang, so the small size and relatively lower volume (maybe?) is essential.

I hope someone can point me to the right direction as to where to find these or what I need for my situation. Thanks for reading!

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Super portable acoustic kit?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 04:39:27 PM »
I can't open the clip, YouTube banned at work  :lol:

If I were you though, I'd get me a Pearl Target Jr.
Cheap (ish) kit, really small (10,12,14 toms, 13 snare, 18 kick), incredible sound.
You can take away the other drums for a compact setup, then put them back when you need/want them. (or sell them here  :lol: )
The thing about this kit is that it still sounds like a full kit (fusion/jungle actually), unlike cocktail kits which have a distinct one-trick-pony sound, or those stuff with really shallow drums like the Rhythm Traveler or GoKit which will disappoint in the long run. You can get a lot of sounds with this one: Manu Katche hanggang metal pwede.  :)

https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »
traps a400 - 25k yata sa lyric

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »

These are cool! Pero basically pambahay lang talaga yan. I still want some of these though  :cute:

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »
Portability yes,but the sound is sacrificed,specially the toms. <_<
josephmariosep.wordpress.com,josephmariosep instagram
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline kean

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:46:18 PM »
I can't open the clip, YouTube banned at work  :lol:

If I were you though, I'd get me a Pearl Target Jr.
Cheap (ish) kit, really small (10,12,14 toms, 13 snare, 18 kick), incredible sound.
You can take away the other drums for a compact setup, then put them back when you need/want them. (or sell them here  :lol: )
The thing about this kit is that it still sounds like a full kit (fusion/jungle actually), unlike cocktail kits which have a distinct one-trick-pony sound, or those stuff with really shallow drums like the Rhythm Traveler or GoKit which will disappoint in the long run. You can get a lot of sounds with this one: Manu Katche hanggang metal pwede.  :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked at some videos of this and the kit does sound nice. And sa JBMusic website, it's priced around 22k. Kaso wala pang cymbals. Meron din akong nakitang Ludwig Junior Kit na 18k lang with cymbals. Not sure about the sound though!

Thanks sa suggestion! Judging from the video, parang okay rin naman ito. I don't really like the sound of the snare nga lang.

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 02:29:44 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion! I looked at some videos of this and the kit does sound nice. And sa JBMusic website, it's priced around 22k. Kaso wala pang cymbals. Meron din akong nakitang Ludwig Junior Kit na 18k lang with cymbals. Not sure about the sound though!

Don't get the Ludwig Junior Kit.. Instead, get the Ludwig Breakbeats by Questlove.. Available at all JB Music stores but not on their website.. Price ranges at 40k and above.. With corresponding discounts..
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline kean

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 03:36:29 AM »
Don't get the Ludwig Junior Kit.. Instead, get the Ludwig Breakbeats by Questlove.. Available at all JB Music stores but not on their website.. Price ranges at 40k and above.. With corresponding discounts..

Wow! This looks ideal. Mahal nga lang, hahaha. But seriously considering this! Thank you for the suggestion! :D

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 09:27:07 AM »
TAMA Imperialstar 4pc Compact Drum Kit shells + hardware + Meinl cymbals

Read more >> http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/drum_data.php?year=2014&area=4&id=8#.VAEni8WSySo

http://www.audiophile.ph/index.php/contact
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
Also,

TAMA Silverstar 4pc Metro Jam kit >>

Compact and easy to transport for street performances or gigs in smaller venues. The 16” bass drum has a built-in bass drum lifter that swivels back for easier transport and casing.

Read more >> http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/drum_data.php?year=2014&area=3&id=7#.VAE8F8WSySo

http://www.audiophile.ph/index.php/contact
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »

The Ludwig Jr. Kit is for 6 year olds, while the Pearl one is just a smaller fusion kit. Huge diff! Check the Tama one too, it looks nice. But FWIW the Pearl Target Jr. Snare sounds really great even with stock heads  :-D

Offline dreddurius

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »
+9000 sa Manu Katche. Traps are too flat sounding. UP ko sa Rhythm Traveller or Manu.
Hi.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »
+9000 sa Manu Katche. Traps are too flat sounding. UP ko sa Rhythm Traveller or Manu.
The Manu is awesome because of the 12" snare. It doesn't sound so out of place.
Apparently there's a Ludwig Questlove kit, similar to the Manu, but with a full 14" snare.

Offline kean

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
The Manu is awesome because of the 12" snare. It doesn't sound so out of place.
Apparently there's a Ludwig Questlove kit, similar to the Manu, but with a full 14" snare.

Yeah the Ludwig Questlove kit looks the most viable right now. Pretty crazy how JBMusic prices it with almost a +150% markup (according to musicianurse28, it's 40k+Php when in the US it's only at 400usd). Apparently it was built to be apartment friendly and portable, so that fits the description right away.

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »
Yeah the Ludwig Questlove kit looks the most viable right now. Pretty crazy how JBMusic prices it with almost a +150% markup (according to musicianurse28, it's 40k+Php when in the US it's only at 400usd). Apparently it was built to be apartment friendly and portable, so that fits the description right away.

$400 because it's only the kit itself, no Cymbals included, no hardware included. Just the drum shells and some hardware such as the tom holder and the riser. JB sums it up up to 40k+ coz they sell it as package set. With complete hardware(including 2 cymbal stands, snare stand, throne, bass pedal, and hi-hat stand) and Cymbals included(such as a pair of hi-hat, 1 crash, and 1 ride).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:58:30 AM by musicianurse28 »
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 08:28:30 AM »
$400 because it's only the kit itself, no Cymbals included, no hardware included. Just the drum shells and some hardware such as the tom holder and the riser. JB sums it up up to 40k+ coz they sell it as package set. With complete hardware(including 2 cymbal stands, throne, bass pedal, and hi-hat stand) and Cymbals included(such as a pair of hi-hat, 1 crash, and 1 ride).
Mahal pa rin, kait na admittedly ok ang tunog. I think I'll pick the Pearl Target Jr. instead. Partly because I really really love the snare sound of that one.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 08:41:10 AM »
wag ka sa snare mag base ng decision...you will always buy a new snare later down the road.

kick drum! yun ang dapat mong piliin. choose something that really feels and plays like a real bass drum. if not, hindi ka masasatisfy. papalitan mo rin yang kit mo.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
wag ka sa snare mag base ng decision...you will always buy a new snare later down the road.

kick drum! yun ang dapat mong piliin. choose something that really feels and plays like a real bass drum. if not, hindi ka masasatisfy. papalitan mo rin yang kit mo.

Actually tama si Sir Peeves, you'll find a snare or two (or four) that are gonna be for keeps. But still, IMO that 13" snare is still a keeper  :-D . Kick na rin lang ang pinag-uusapan, mas lamang ka sa Pearl Target Jr. in terms of flexibility ng sound. The 18" is big enough to get a rock style boom, and can go boing as well. The 16" ones in the Manu and the Questlove kits, kaya naman, but they're gonna be that much difficult to tune of you just want the boom, else, you just get a somewhat thin click/slap. Usually that small a kick is best  when tuned to a boom/boing sound, kinda like in the Questlove demo, which is great for jazz and hiphop and world, but not so much for other genres like pop and rock.

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 09:27:47 AM »
Looking at this thread, you may either get it off-the-shelf or build it from the ground up...parang mas exciting yung gagawa ka ng sarili mo, you get to decide what to have and not have, but it will take more time...treat it like a personal project

hehe this is getting me inspired to build a tight kit myself

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
yup masarap magbuo pero magastos. tapos mauuwi ka rin sa full size kit  :-P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pao_the_siopao/sets/72157619944169652/

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 11:03:14 AM »

oohh, love the bongos! I was thinking of getting rid of my rack toms for roto toms for a more compact kit that sounds the way I like it.
Napaisip ako sir ah, kung mauuwi ako sa full size kit, baka mabalewala yung digital toms/kick acoustic snare and cymbals downsizing project ko  :-(

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »

Here is my kit,bitin lang sa low end,hehe,habang inaantay ang parts ng pearl,hehe
josephmariosep.wordpress.com,josephmariosep instagram
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline kean

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 06:34:21 PM »
$400 because it's only the kit itself, no Cymbals included, no hardware included. Just the drum shells and some hardware such as the tom holder and the riser. JB sums it up up to 40k+ coz they sell it as package set. With complete hardware(including 2 cymbal stands, throne, bass pedal, and hi-hat stand) and Cymbals included(such as a pair of hi-hat, 1 crash, and 1 ride).

Ohh, makes sense. That's perfect for me because I am starting from scratch.

Awesome setups!! That does look like a small kick drum compared to the others. Are there any differences in volume?

Actually tama si Sir Peeves, you'll find a snare or two (or four) that are gonna be for keeps. But still, IMO that 13" snare is still a keeper  :-D . Kick na rin lang ang pinag-uusapan, mas lamang ka sa Pearl Target Jr. in terms of flexibility ng sound. The 18" is big enough to get a rock style boom, and can go boing as well. The 16" ones in the Manu and the Questlove kits, kaya naman, but they're gonna be that much difficult to tune of you just want the boom, else, you just get a somewhat thin click/slap. Usually that small a kick is best  when tuned to a boom/boing sound, kinda like in the Questlove demo, which is great for jazz and hiphop and world, but not so much for other genres like pop and rock.

About the Pearl Target Jr.: This kit sounds pretty solid based on some reviews I watched on YouTube. However, I'm not so sure about the size and portability if the Pearl kit compares well to the Questlove kit.

Offline kean

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »
Looking at this thread, you may either get it off-the-shelf or build it from the ground up...parang mas exciting yung gagawa ka ng sarili mo, you get to decide what to have and not have, but it will take more time...treat it like a personal project

hehe this is getting me inspired to build a tight kit myself

I'd build my own kit if I knew where to find individual drums. There aren't any specific drum brands I'm looking for... basta yung maliit lang. Minimal stuff. Maybe you could point me to the right direction? :D

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 01:04:59 AM »
Mahal pa rin, kait na admittedly ok ang tunog. I think I'll pick the Pearl Target Jr. instead. Partly because I really really love the snare sound of that one.

:eek: :nosebleed:

Thanks kuya Pao! :wink: :lol: