hulika

Author Topic: Cheap Cymbals for Practice?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline stickybeat

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Cheap Cymbals for Practice?
« on: December 09, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
Hi, fellow drummers! Just wanted to know your opinions. I recently bought my first high-end cymbals. I've been playing for 6 years now, but have only used entry-level cymbals until now (sold those already). I got an 18" Extra Dry Thin Crash, 14" Sand Hats, and 20" Sand Ride. As you may know already, these pies are thin, especially the top hat of the Sand Hats. My question is, will these cymbals be alright for practice? I'm thinking of buying an entry-level set again just for practice, and only use my high-end pies for gigs and worship services. I'm a light to moderate player, I never really bash my cymbals hard, I use glancing blows (sweeping motion), and use 5B sticks. It's worth noting that I never cracked my Sabian B8 cymbals for 6 years.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:59:02 AM by stickybeat »

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
Re: Cheap Cymbals for Practice?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 12:20:44 AM »
you wont destroy them for a really long time as long as you play with the correct technique.

the only reason rehearsal studio cymbals get destroyed is because apart from inept drummers playing them, they are also very few of them (only a crash and a ride) and that they get hit as often as 5 hours a day, every day.

i dont think youd be playing 5 hours a day everyday with just 1 crash cymbal and 1 ride.

Offline stickybeat

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 12:22:59 AM »
Very good point, IncX. Thank you very much. :)

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:10:37 AM »
dont play into the cymbals,mejo paside ng konti ang hataw and syempre use them for their applications.
if you are using those cymbals in a extreme metal band that requires cut syempre you tend to hit them louder.
so check mo din. :-D
josephmariosep.wordpress.com,josephmariosep instagram
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline brokensticks

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:34:51 AM »
By all means use them! If you have your personal space, go hit them. Yes glancing blows will be helpful. And hit them correctly. Dont waste money buying lowend for practice unless you want to loan your studio.

Offline brokensticks

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:38:46 AM »
Btw, the sand ride is medium, and hats med-thin. Theyre like The usual K, Kcustoms. They wont break for your usual applications. :-)

Offline stickybeat

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:14 AM »
Bro, thanks for the input! :)

For the weight profile, yan yung sabi sa Meinl website. But the truth is:
The Sand Ride starts out thin at the edge and becomes thicker towards the bell, while the Sand Hats pair has a thin top, and medium heavy or heavy (not sure) bottom. I think I learned this watching some demos, but I don't exactly remember which video. Hehe.