hulika

Author Topic: Which guitar should I buy, USED Les Paul or BRAND NEW SG? Help please.  (Read 12125 times)

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
Since this is more than just a product comparison, I decided to post this here.  I hope that's fine.  :-)

i'm just a hobbyist.  i jam with my band irregularly (for like 2 to 3 hours) 5 to 6 times a year lang siguro.  and i'm a strat guy. 

last week, i bought a wampler triple wreck pedal from jefisipbata and that purchase wrecked the idea in my head that i am already satisfied with my strat.  while i was trying different settings sa pedal, that's when i realized that i want a guitar with humbuckers.

since i already have a fender, i want a gibson this time so i'm choosing between a les paul and an sg.  i want to get heavy sounds (like metallica, limpbizkit and rage against the machine) from the guitar together with the triple wreck pedal so i'm wondering if the sg (which is a lot cheaper than the les paul) could do that...

i will have enough money to get a brand new sg soon.  and that's it.  it's gonna take a while for me to recover from this expense.  years actually.  if i'm going for the les paul, i would have to save some more money and get a used one.  i don't think i can afford a brand new les paul.

now, here are my questions...
1.  do you guys think i could get the tone that i described above from an sg?
2.  considering my financial situation (i also described above) would it be worth it to save up some more and get a used les paul instead of a brand new sg?

thanks mga kapatid!  looking forward to your responses!  peace out!   :wave:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:48:52 PM by freemansj »

Offline stompmoko

• Forum Fanatic
with you coming from a strat, i suggest you get an SG

it can get you the heavy sounds you like plus it won't bother you with the weight
color of the day is monkey sh1t brown

Offline guitarbrat

• Forum Fanatic

it can get you the heavy sounds you like plus it won't bother you with the weight

Mas playable pa.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus

i forgot to mention that i have my eyes set on a chambered body les paul so the weight won't be an issue.

so since i'm a strat guy, the sg will be a better choice?  aside from the weight, bakit po mas okay ang sg compared sa les paul?  :-)

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
Based on my experience, SG tends to be brighter than LP. I presume it has to do with the chunk of wood in the LP (am not referring to chambered here; the real LP with mahogany and maple top is king).  SGs have thinner body thus its lightweight.  Other than that, they are same same considering the humbie pickups; lastly, they obviously look different to each other. 

Offline stompmoko

• Forum Fanatic
i forgot to mention that i have my eyes set on a chambered body les paul so the weight won't be an issue.

so since i'm a strat guy, the sg will be a better choice?  aside from the weight, bakit po mas okay ang sg compared sa les paul?  :-)

even if it's chambered, i doubt it will be lighter than an SG but if you get to try it and like it better..get the LP then :)
color of the day is monkey sh1t brown

Offline guitarbrat

• Forum Fanatic
because of the thinner neck?

Oo. And double cut-away means easier access to higher frets.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
Based on my experience, SG tends to be brighter than LP. I presume it has to do with the chunk of wood in the LP (am not referring to chambered here; the real LP with mahogany and maple top is king).  SGs have thinner body thus its lightweight.  Other than that, they are same same considering the humbie pickups; lastly, they obviously look different to each other.

whoa!  sir, does this mean sobrang significant ang difference ng solid at chambered body na les paul?   :cry:

Offline guitarbrat

• Forum Fanatic
Maganda yong coil splitting na sg pero pag naghahanap ka ng sustain mas magandang kunin mo na lp studio. Magkasing presyo lang sila.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Which guitar should I buy, USED Les Paul or BRAND NEW SG? Help please.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
Oo. And double cut-away means easier access to higher frets.

that won't be a problem, sir.  i ain't that good.  i rarely get to the higher frets.  LAWL!!!   :-P

Maganda yong coil splitting na sg pero pag naghahanap ka ng sustain mas magandang kunin mo na lp studio. Magkasing presyo lang sila.

i don't know pero for some reason, hindi ko gusto yung itsura ng lp studio.  okay na din ba yung studio, sir?

Offline guitarbrat

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »
that won't be a problem, sir.  i ain't that good.  i rarely get to the higher frets.  LAWL!!!   :-P

i don't know pero for some reason, hindi ko gusto yung itsura ng lp studio.  okay na din ba yung studio, sir?

Ok na rin yong studio. Pero pag may budget siempre go for better models. Mag ingat lang sa pag bili ng second hand. Marami ng fake na gibson lalo na siguro sa manila. Napanood ko nga non sa tfc grabe na. Pati pagiging doctor at dentist pinepeke na rin. Pati na rin yata mga gamot. Mga peste talaga. Kaya pag buy ng second hand magdala ka ng bihasa talaga sa gitara

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »
Ok na rin yong studio. Pero pag may budget siempre go for better models. Mag ingat lang sa pag bili ng second hand. Marami ng fake na gibson lalo na siguro sa manila. Napanood ko nga non sa tfc grabe na. Pati pagiging doctor at dentist pinepeke na rin. Pati na rin yata mga gamot. Mga peste talaga. Kaya pag buy ng second hand magdala ka ng bihasa talaga sa gitara

thanks for the reminder, sir. 

actually, naka-post ngayon sa classifieds yung les paul na natitipuhan ko.  mukhang legit naman.   alam nyo naman dito sa philmusic, pag may fake na naka-post as orig, kinukuyog.  LAWL!!!   :lol:

so oks na din pala ang studio...  i guess i should consider that too.  paktay!  lalo akong nalito.   :-o

Offline guitarbrat

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »
thanks for the reminder, sir. 

actually, naka-post ngayon sa classifieds yung les paul na natitipuhan ko.  mukhang legit naman.   alam nyo naman dito sa philmusic, pag may fake na naka-post as orig, kinukuyog.  LAWL!!!   :lol:

so oks na din pala ang studio...  i guess i should consider that too.  paktay!  lalo akong nalito.   :-o

Oo naman. Sakin lang e better na studio than getting an epi.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
i use both but i've always leaned more towards SGs because of the more in-your-face tone. les pauls have a bit more bottom to them but i leave that to the bass player -my job is to cut through the mix in a band more and the SG does just that through a nice amp. i use different SGs as well ESP, Guild and Gibson -they behave similarly to each other with different takes on the same type of tone.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
whoa!  sir, does this mean sobrang significant ang difference ng solid at chambered body na les paul?   :cry:

OH YES, unless you want to play soft guitar music you may not notice the difference between a chambered and all solid LP. When I think of Les Paul, I think of players like Jimmy Page, Clapton 60s, Bonamassa--they play loud and distorted, a chambered body HONKS or very nasal once volumed. Again, unless you are into soft-guitar music or play bedroom volume.  I guess am more of a traditionalist, this compensated weight is new to accommodate those who whine that LPs are heavy. If you can't deal with the weight just stick with the SG. Hope this help.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »
Oo naman. Sakin lang e better na studio than getting an epi.

epi is not an option, sir.  mabebenta ko lang din agad nang palugi pag epi ang kinuha ko.  natuto na ako after almost 10 guitars in 2 1/2 years.  binenta ko lang din lahat at iniwan ang isang strat at isang acoustic.  :-)
thanks sir!

i use both but i've always leaned more towards SGs because of the more in-your-face tone. les pauls have a bit more bottom to them but i leave that to the bass player -my job is to cut through the mix in a band more and the SG does just that through a nice amp. i use different SGs as well ESP, Guild and Gibson -they behave similarly to each other with different takes on the same type of tone.

thanks so much for the insight, sir.  actually, my original post was a PM for you.  pero naisip ko i-post na lang dito para mas madami makapag-suggest.   :-D
so if i want a more bottomy guitar, i should go for the les paul...

OH YES, unless you want to play soft guitar music you may not notice the difference between a chambered and all solid LP. When I think of Les Paul, I think of players like Jimmy Page, Clapton 60s, Bonamassa--they play loud and distorted, a chambered body HONKS or very nasal once volumed. Again, unless you are into soft-guitar music or play bedroom volume.  I guess am more of a traditionalist, this compensated weight is new to accommodate those who whine that LPs are heavy. If you can't deal with the weight just stick with the SG. Hope this help.

i see...  wow!  ang dami ko palang hindi alam.  thing is, pare-pareho lang tunog nila sa youtube.  dapat talaga ikaw mismo ang mag-test at malakas ang volume ng amp.  kainis!  salamat, sir!

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 08:39:02 PM »
For me.. Les paul! Particularly standard. Pag lumuluma at nagagagasgasan gumaganda. Sg, pangit pag relicd look. Well, thats just me..
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 08:46:44 PM »
For me.. Les paul! Particularly standard. Pag lumuluma at nagagagasgasan gumaganda. Sg, pangit pag relicd look. Well, thats just me..

Nice input, bro...  Salamat.
I'm kinda leaning towrds Les Paul na actually.  Yun nga lang, matagal pa pag Les Paul.  Pag SG kasi kahit 2 weeks from now kaya na.   :-D

Offline gnarly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »

totally agree, mas killer ang sustain kapag aged na lp. :)

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
Nice input, bro...  Salamat.
I'm kinda leaning towrds Les Paul na actually.  Yun nga lang, matagal pa pag Les Paul.  Pag SG kasi kahit 2 weeks from now kaya na.   :-D

Go for a gibby lp traditional! It has coil split. Best of both worlds..:)
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline blackdogg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 04:22:28 AM »
SG, since you a stat-guy  :-D I've been a LP player since god-knows-when, but I my first guitar was an SG. I own 3 LP's, and my very first SG, and IMO, SG's are more versatile. Not to mention they won't break your back!  :lol:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 05:13:19 AM »
epi is not an option, sir.  mabebenta ko lang din agad nang palugi pag epi ang kinuha ko.  natuto na ako after almost 10 guitars in 2 1/2 years.  binenta ko lang din lahat at iniwan ang isang strat at isang acoustic.  :-)
thanks sir!

thanks so much for the insight, sir.  actually, my original post was a PM for you.  pero naisip ko i-post na lang dito para mas madami makapag-suggest.   :-D
so if i want a more bottomy guitar, i should go for the les paul...

i see...  wow!  ang dami ko palang hindi alam.  thing is, pare-pareho lang tunog nila sa youtube.  dapat talaga ikaw mismo ang mag-test at malakas ang volume ng amp.  kainis!  salamat, sir!

it depends on your amp too. no amp is transparent so it falls to combining both and making up a tone from your guitar. pedals and amp.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 05:42:34 AM »
Good monring!  Madami na palang nagbigay ng insights nila...  Maraming salamat po, mga kapatid!   :-D

Here is where I'm at right now...  I surely would love to go for the Les Paul.  However, the price of a second hand is still way way higher than a brand new SG.  That's my problem.   :cry:
Is it worth it?  I mean the price difference?  And considering second hand yung Les Paul at mas mahal pa sa brand new SG?

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 08:13:55 AM »
Listen to this:

And this (just ignore the strat part)

feature=related

I'd go for a Les Paul kahit mas mahal, kahit 2nd hand pa as long as wala pang repair.