Tech Forums > ph.Cyberview

ever heard of PLDT's wireless?

(1/2) > >>

FinkPloyd:
ever heard of PLDT's wireless?
yung NIC daw nya is worth 10k. pero no exact details yet.
any details out here?

pinoymusika:
Are you referrinng to PLDT WeRoam? That service is based on a GPRS/EDGE card that fits in a laptop's PCMCIA slot. It picks up wireless Internet from Smart's GSM network.

Unless you're talking about something else...

FinkPloyd:
that's the one sir! any reviews on the integrity of the service?
i'm really interested to avail this...

pinoymusika:
I used to write a tech column in Business Day magazine ("Gadget Nation") and Entrepreneur Magazine ("Tech Talk"), and I reviewed WeRoam, actually got a test unit and put it through its paces but this was back in 2005. It works as advertised in the sense that you can get connected, check your mail etc. I wasn't that impressed with speed because SMART didn't deploy its EDGE widely enough at the time, it was limited only to certain "business corridors" - mainly Makat CBD, Ortigas Center, etc. - everwhere else you connected through GPRS which was at best dialup speeds.

However, the wireless broadband scene has changed a lot since then - SMART has more EDGE coverage nowadays, and 3G is now a reality with nationwide coverage. I heard they have a 3G card now for WeRoam.

The best thing I thought about the service was because it was a flat rate service (like DSL), you could stay connected remotely for hours without worrying about connect time charges.

sigjoys:
weroam 3G is fast for a wireless  :-D. the best part of it, you can watch youtube anywhere as long as you have a 3G signal.  :-D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version