hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296678 times)

djently

Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #350 on: October 24, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »
i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but what the hell

sir kit, ano mas prefer nyo, mix with decent headphones o with cheap monitors in an untreated room?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #351 on: October 24, 2008, 05:14:24 PM »
sir kit, ano mas prefer nyo, mix with decent headphones o with cheap monitors in an untreated room?

I only use headphones when I want to zoom in on a particularly problematic frequency during editing. Even then, I prefer to use really accurate headphones (I miss my HD280s). I do use headphones a lot when I'm in the tracking stage, though. Mostly because I drive my family crazy when I start looping a section ad infinitum when I'm overdubbing notes or trying a chord change.

When mixing, I prefer to use monitors I'm familiar with. If I'm not used to a particular monitor, I usually listen with a reference cd first so I can adjust the monitor to the way I work. I also often check my mixes on other sound systems for reference; I don't rely exclusively on one monitoring system when referencing a mix. To take the room out of the equation, you will have to monitor quite loudly, but having a lot of diffusers at the back of the monitoring position helps.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

djently

« Reply #352 on: October 24, 2008, 10:11:37 PM »
thanks sir kit.

2.1 speakers lang kasi gamit ko e gusto kong mag upgrade. i'm not sure if a set of samson mediaone would be any better than a really good pair of headphones (akg k240, kung may mahanap pa) or even the speakers i currently own. are monitors with 3 or 4" woofers worth the money?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #353 on: October 26, 2008, 10:57:41 AM »
The current consensus is that monitors with woofers less than 8" in diameter often do not reproduce low bass frequencies very well. The same, however, could be said of the ubiquitous NS-10s which are a staple in most pro studios (NS-10s are brutal with mids and highs, though). That said, almost any speaker can be used as a monitor as long as you are used to its sound and can reference it to other speaker systems. Even 2.1 systems can be used AS LONG AS you are familiar with its sound. The most important aspect of a monitor is that it reproduces frequencies with clarity and accuracy, which is quite subjective for everyone.

For headphones, know their characteristics. I own AKG K240s and while they are great, I also know that their bass can be a bit lacking because of their open back design. And besides, bass,  because of their long wavelengths, is best reproduced by big speakers.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

djently

« Reply #354 on: October 26, 2008, 09:15:16 PM »
hmm. i think i'll stick with the 2.1 until i get the money to buy 8" monitors. thanks a lot sir kit.

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #355 on: November 17, 2008, 11:56:11 PM »
Hi. I'm not sure where to ask this so I'll just shoot it here.

I'm setting up something like this..

Peavey PV6 mixer
-
headphone amp (probably a Behringer Microamp HA400-pls give me a review of this amp. ok ba ito? Plano ko bumili.)
-
Behringer HPS3000 headphone (pareview din sana mga sir. planning to buy another one for jamming purposes and/or recording demo siguro)

My question is..
paano ko maikakabit properly ang mixer out (stereo PL outputs)
sa..
input ng headphone amp (1 PL input)
ng stereo pa rin ang magiging setup?

-RCA with (RCA-PL adapters) ba ang ikakabit ko sa output ng mixer? Tapos ung kabilang dulo eh TRS papunta sa headphone amp? Stereo ba labas nun sa headphone? Yun ba ang tamang paraan? Saan nakakabili nun?

Salamt sa tulong.:)
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
The PV6 already has a headphone output... what do you need a headphone amp for?

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #357 on: November 21, 2008, 12:49:49 AM »
Hi Kit, for jamming purposes. gagamitin ng mga 4 musicians sabay sabay.
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline karlo

« Reply #358 on: November 25, 2008, 07:58:09 AM »
May be redundant (the thread is 24 pages...) but here are some tips (with clear steps) on optimizing Win XP for DAW use:

http://www.tarekith.com/assets/XPTweaks.htm

The guy also has some easy and helpful material on levelling, mixdowns, and mastering, as well as some product reviews, FAQs, and effects/instrument patches for the Virus TI, Elektron Drum Machine, and Ableton Live here:

http://www.tarekith.com/misc.htm
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline Mike Mendoza

« Reply #359 on: February 10, 2009, 03:18:34 PM »
Dito pala dapat ako nag-post...  :-D

I'm still reading this thread, medyo mahaba na rin kse...
pero inquire ko na lang ulit ito..

I want to try to record a demo (or even a good quality output file - better!) of our songs from a MIXER to my LAPTOP... but I really lack the knowledge of what SOFWARE and hardware connections (SOUND CARD / INTERFACE) to use. My knowlegde is still limited kse to Rehearsal and Outdoor set-ups.

Eto po ung magagamit ko if ever;

(1) Mackie Mixer - Mackie 1402 (14 Channels)

(2) Toshiba Laptop: (No Line-in ung laptop eh  )
          Intel Core(TM) 2 Duo - P7350@2.00 GHz
          Memory 4.00 GB RAM
          Sytem type 32 bit- operating system
          Sound, Video and Gaming controller:
                 Cohexant High Definition Smart Audio 221

(3) Altec Lansing para sa monitor? (pwede ba ito)
     or ung JBL EON ko na ikakabit sa Mackie Mixer for Monitor din???  :?

Need help on the following:

(1) CONNECTION from the mixer to the laptop?

I guess this was answered by this link: (thanks to sir KiT  :-D)
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_hookup_a_mixer.htm

(2) Any suggested SOUND CARD based sa specs of my laptop? cguro mas ok ung external sa laptop db?? i have no idea of what to use kase. please help.  :?

(3) Any one who can suggest what SOFTWARE is preferred as well? I guess the SOFTWARE and SOUND CARD should be compatible ryt?? San pwede maka-avail? I prefer the LICENSED SOFTWARE cguro to promote anti-piracy dito sa thread..  :-D

Budget-wise: SAKTO lng (crisis kse nagun eh..)

Need your help please... Thanks
" Rock the Band ... Not your Mind "

Offline kenki

« Reply #360 on: February 13, 2009, 09:02:45 PM »
sir ask lng bakit di tumutunog ung gitara pag sinaksak ko sya sa color blue?diba dapat dun pag mga instruments tapos pink para sa mic diba? ayaw tumunug kasi...tnx

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #361 on: February 16, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »
sir ask lng bakit di tumutunog ung gitara pag sinaksak ko sya sa color blue?diba dapat dun pag mga instruments tapos pink para sa mic diba? ayaw tumunug kasi...tnx

Blue is usually line in. You need some sort of preamp with line level outputs for your guitar.

Offline LowEnderOlex

« Reply #362 on: February 24, 2009, 07:26:23 AM »
Hello sir kit,

I'm planning to get an Mbox2 Mini bundle but i dont have a good rig to pair it with yet. Do you think it will run ok on my HP Pavilion DV6626US laptop?

1.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 processor
160 GB hard drive
1.5 GB RAM
Intel GMA X3100 graphics (up to 251 MB of available memory)

This will be my first set up and i really want to start using pro tools.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #363 on: February 25, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »
I'm planning to get an Mbox2 Mini bundle but i dont have a good rig to pair it with yet. Do you think it will run ok on my HP Pavilion DV6626US laptop?

Well, HP is usually the recommended pc for windows versions of PT, however, since I don't know that particular laptop's usb chipset, YMMV. HP are usually not forthcoming with technical details on their equipment unless someone posts a teardown on the net.

In any event, the specs look good.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #364 on: February 25, 2009, 02:46:04 PM »
(2) Any suggested SOUND CARD based sa specs of my laptop? cguro mas ok ung external sa laptop db?? i have no idea of what to use kase. please help.  :?

Try M-audio firewire interfaces if your laptop has a firewire port. Getting PC card/expresscard audio interfaces are rather difficult locally.

[quote author=Mike Mendoza link=topic=44198.msg1722963#msg1722963 date=1234250314
(3) Any one who can suggest what SOFTWARE is preferred as well? I guess the SOFTWARE and SOUND CARD should be compatible ryt?? San pwede maka-avail? I prefer the LICENSED SOFTWARE cguro to promote anti-piracy dito sa thread..  :-D[/quote]

You can get Pro Tools M-powered which is compatible with M-audio interfaces. Sessions created in PTMP are compatible with HD versions of Pro Tools.

Offline akoyatasiemil

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #365 on: March 02, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »
goodafternoon sir kit  :-D tanong ko lang po. gamit ko kasi neo laptop local lang. pero ung specs nia

processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz 1.87GHz

Memory (RAM): 1789 MB

System Type: 32-bit operating system

160gb Hard drive

tsaka bumili po ako ng CREATIVE USB SoundBlaster X-fi Surround 5.1

and balak ko po bumili ng cubase software

bago lang po ako kaya di ko po alam kung pano at saan maguumpisa hehe.

tanong ko lang po kung pwede na po ba ung specs na yan para makapagstart magrecord kahit cheap quality lang muna :)

kung hindi po ano po kaya ung dapat ko idagdag?

thank you po sa effort ng pagbasa hehe gusto ko po talaga matuto :-)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:54:08 AM by akoyatasiemil »
how could we be part of the cure?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #366 on: March 02, 2009, 01:52:07 PM »
@akoyatasiemil - I think the usb blaster only has line inputs. If you intend to use mics, you will need a preamp or an inexpensive mixer. You can get by with Behringer, Phonic, or other inexpensive mixers, especially if you're just starting to explore recording. You may want to explore the X-Fi's Vista compatibility first as I've heard negative reports about it's vista drivers.

Offline akoyatasiemil

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #367 on: March 02, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »
aah ok po, so pag wala pa po ung mixer di pa po ako makakapaglay in ng gitara? onga po baka i-xp ko na lang to hehe. thank you po sa idea hehe. tambay na nga ko lagi dito  :-D
how could we be part of the cure?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #368 on: March 03, 2009, 08:25:18 AM »
aah ok po, so pag wala pa po ung mixer di pa po ako makakapaglay in ng gitara?

You can always play the guitar regardless.  :-D

Instead of the Xfi, I suggest looking into the Line6 usb interfaces (UX1/UX2, Toneport GX, etc.) especially if you want to record your guitar straight to pc. IMO, this is a much better option than getting a consumer oriented soundcard like the 'blaster.

Offline heyman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #369 on: March 07, 2009, 11:57:14 AM »
help! help! i bought a boss gt-10 kaso d pa ako masyado familiar. anyone can help pano mapalabas ung guitar sound sa pc via usb cable? at ano pwede software na easy-to-use at mura or free pang record ng sound? tnx sa makakatulong ng marami.
yada yada yada.....

Offline britesynth

• Veteran Member
« Reply #370 on: March 15, 2009, 10:42:45 PM »
sir kit...

ano benefits pag mas mataas RAM ng pc o laptop? say... from 2gb mag upgrade sa 4gb? maiwasan na kaya pop at clicks sa recording kapag naka 128 latency?

ot: last... alin dapat piliin ko/gamitin when recording 16 bit or 24 bit (fast track pro)

thanks!  :-D

"never lose groove even if the beat goes out of time and the song goes out of tune"

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #371 on: March 16, 2009, 11:17:11 AM »
@heyman - try using audacity with your GT-10. It should work right off the bat as long as you install drivers for your pc.

@britesynth - You will be able to run more programs simultaneously with more ram. You should also be able to load more samples if you use large sample libraries, but latency is a function of your soundcard and it's drivers. More ram has no effect on latency. Better to use 24-bit if your soundcard supports it.

Offline Triggerfinger

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #372 on: March 25, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »

Line in ang ginagamit ko. Ganito gawin mo:

1. Go to the lower right portion of your screen where the clock is and double click mo yung speaker icon.

2. click options then go to properties and select recording

3. Under that mals sure that line in is checked and then click ok

4. Now check the select box under line in then you can just close the window and Voila!!! you're good to go.

Offline r0cb0y

• Netizen Level
« Reply #373 on: March 31, 2009, 04:34:02 AM »
ei.. whats up guys?.. i just wanna ask a few questions about music production in a pc.. i hope na sana matulungan nyo ko..

im planing to buy a couple of equipments.. im planning to get tha new m-audio axiom pro.. and an mbox..im also planning to get the maschine by native instruments.. i want to start creating beats muna.. noob lang ako..just started creating beats this year lang.. now my questions are..

1. if im just gonna create beats for now.. will a sequencer like maschine and fl do? or will it be better to get an mbox and record my sequences in protools?..

2. anong mbox ang mas bagay sakin?.. im not gonna use any external sounds muna.. im planning to start with softwares first.. mbox pro sana ang gusto ko.. but will it be too much for what i wanna do?.

3. im planning to get a new pc.. will these specs be enough for music production?..

core i7 920
3 gigs of ddr3
i tb 7200 rpm hard drive

4. ano pang pwede nyong i-suggest sakin para hindi masayang ang pera ko sa pagbili ng equipments..?

thanks.. i hope y'all could help me out..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:36:43 AM by r0cb0y »

Offline monsterbot

« Reply #374 on: April 16, 2009, 06:24:38 PM »
if youre on a really tight budget, theres a usb audio interface yung "behringer uca202" which is cheap and would suffice for your needs. i think they go for around 2.5k+, it should work on any DAW or Sequencer.  :-D

bro san kaya ako makakabili ng behringer uca202?