hulika

Author Topic: I dont like brand new guitars.  (Read 20806 times)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
I dont like brand new guitars.
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »
When was the last time you bought a brand new guitar? Ako last year, 2008. When i bought an Edwards E-LP-98VHB. Awesome LP copy. Very sulit. Pero...

Am I the only one who doesn't feel takes a lot longer to "get into" a brand new guitar compared to a well worn, broken-in one? This past year I discovered that it doesn't matter how well a guitar is made, if its brand new, it will always be dead. I mean, yes, I have always said that guitars are just tools of wood and wire but I've gone through a lot of guitars (borrowed or owned), and when I say I went through one I mean I had it in my posession for over 2 weeks, more than enough time for the honeymoon to kick in and out and enough time for me to adjust to it.

Case in point, my old 52ri tele (its in the classifieds, but trust me, its not worth as much as the guy is asking for it. :lol:). Its an awesome guitar. Now. And I do miss it. Pero when I first got it (it was a year old then), and after I threw in all those mods, it stayed at home for almost 2 months being played daily before I started gigging with it. The am. std. tele I got, on the other hand (the one mikerock bought), was 6 or 7 years old when I got it, had a few worn out frets and a stiff pickup selector switch but I started gigging with it the same week I bought it. It felt better, more alive, was more "magical" and had character than the '52ri.

I've tried a couple of so-called "high end" guitars over the years (a few Suhrs, Anderson, PRS, Gibson, Fender CS) and its always the same. If its less than a year old, its sterile, cold and dead.

Maybe dem guitars are alive. Just born asleep. Tapos you need to throw 'em in the dirt and bash 'em around a bit to wake them up.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: I dont like brand new guitars.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »
ako naman.. i rarely buy guitars.. that's why i only have one electric, and so does my brother..  :-)
both were bought brand new..

i don't have anything with second hand guitars.. pero hanggat kaya ko makakuha ng brand new, i'll get one.. mas gusto ko na ako magdidiscover sa kung anong meron sa guitar.. just my personal taste..

although i won't mind buying a used guitar na gustong-gusto ko talaga.. i've seen many.. just didn't have the breads..  :-)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »
i feel the same way, man...i like the worn in feel of my guitars so i tend to pick instrument purchases very carefully because I hate having to go through the task of breaking stuff in all over again.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline monsterbot

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 12:01:56 AM »
same with me,mas masarap himasin ang lumang neck. :-D.

Offline smartassplayingdumb

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 12:14:25 AM »
The only guitar i've ever bought brand new was my first ever: a suzuki classical from JB.

So I wouldn't know.  :lol:

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 12:18:20 AM »
share ko lang. i love my 20 something yr old  MIJ strat, though i also love my 08 tele. preference lang talaga IMO.

but i have to say, para sakin mas may "mojo" ang old worn guitars. :-)

Offline Mindovermatter

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:22:33 AM »
Isn't it like, the older the guitar is; the better? That's what I hear.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:03 AM »
For the longest period of my guitar playing life, I've been convinced not to buy used ones. Pero nung nakuha ko yung 80s yamaha classical guitar ng tito ko which he used when he still lived in the Philippines, nag iba tingin ko sa mga used guitars, lalo na yung luma. There's that certain unexplainable mojo in these guitars. Even when i try yung mga gitara ng kaibigan ko, they still play and feel better kesa brand new guitars. Just a simple sharing. Now......i want to buy a used MIJ strat... hahaha.....  :lol:  

Offline anoemous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »
For me i still prefer to buy a brand new, i mean i want it to grow old with me, kasi for me i will love playing it pag merong sentimental value. If there is a problem with the sound, then a luthier can fix it. Just like in my case i have a japan made strat na binigay sa akin ng bandmate ko and a Squier 51, which i am the one who bought. Comparatively mas ok yung tone nung strat, but yung feeling na ikaw talaga yung unang may ari nung gitara na binili mo, parang sarap ng pakiramdam gamitin.  :-) And if after twenty years at nasayo pa din yung gitara na ikaw yung original bumili, then it's really an accomplishment na you had a guitar that grow old with you and you are never tired of playing it.  :-)
Lurking Philmusic since 2006

Offline slowspeeder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:57 AM »
an old, wise guitar maestro once told me: the older the wood, the denser it gets, sound resonates better. This belief has taught me well in picking up guitars. i would prefer a vintage, mint condition Les Paul over brand new ones (that's where serial #s are most helpful). That... is my honest thought guys!
Gibson LP Std + Marshall Stack = Rock n Blues
JPP CA 4xx gLp/AF#3x a/s/p/Cc#&/MMc#x8

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 12:46:33 AM »
Used guitars are the way to go for me. I love that they always have a story to tell. Something tells me that its not about using old growth wood either, its probably about that plank of wood maturing as an instrument with all those vibrations, sweat, and smoke.. who knows?
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline smartassplayingdumb

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 12:48:17 AM »
Used guitars are the way to go for me. I love that they always have a story to tell. Something tells me that its not about using old growth wood either, its probably about that plank of wood maturing as an instrument with all those vibrations, sweat, and smoke.. who knows?

I love how they're cheaper.

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 12:54:10 AM »
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 01:03:36 AM »

Aged wood + Mojo + Cheaper price = WIN!  :lol:

Offline dirazon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 01:18:49 AM »

Not always.  :-D

I think what I like about used guitars is that it's somehow liberating. You don't have to be extra careful with the guitar.  Lalo na yung first ding ng gitara minsan wala sa hulog. Mukhang bago tapos may dimple na isa. Used guitars has something that makes it valuable but brand new guitars also has something to hold its own.  I like used guitar but new guitars ain't that bad to have.   

Offline Ryn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 01:29:49 AM »
Not always.  :-D

I think what I like about used guitars is that it's somehow liberating. You don't have to be extra careful with the guitar.

Mismo! Although for me if I have the dough, I'd still prefer to buy a brand new guitar. Iba din kasi yung feeling ng brand new guitar and unti-unting naluluma sa mga kamay mo.

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 02:45:39 AM »
Maybe it's the "security blanket" effect, the same reason we wear shoes with soles with holes from walking a million miles in them, or go to sleep in old t-shirts soft enough to clean the car with, or wear old cotton briefs with elastic that have since disintegrated.  Chances are our mothers/girlfriends/wives have tried throwing them away and even replaced them with new ones, but we move heaven and earth to retrieve them from the dumpster.  Even if the instrument "seasoned" under somebody else's watch, it somehow feels or sounds better in our hands because the sharp edges (in more ways than one) have since become smooth and become "acceptable" or "at home" to our senses, whether it be the sense of feel or hearing.  Others call it "Mojo".  Baka "hiyang" lang iyan *cringes when the old Kris Aquino TV commercial comes to mind*.

While typing this, i thought of something:  maybe it's a "guy" thing (and Ladies, I don't mean this in a sexist way)!  If grunge was the latest fad, men would wear worn out shoes, jeans with holes, play battered guitars, etc. because we felt "at home" with them.  Of course, we told the world that doing so was our way of being "anti-establishment", but it really boils down to just being "at home" with them (amineeen!!!!).  Just looking at photos of musicians on the web, I noticed that if you find a pic of an old, worn-out, even battered guitar/bass, chances are it's slung on the neck of a guy.  I'm not saying you won't find women musicians who use relics, but from what I've seen you'll find more old and seasoned guitars in the hands of guys than galls.  Am I making sense?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:06:22 AM by Jaco D »

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 06:40:44 AM »
i agree w/TS...

the first and last time i had a bnew guitar was ages ago(a squier MIK strat when my father bought me my 1st elec guitar)...after that, i settled w/good old 2nd hand guitars...it feels better IMHO, its also good that each instrument that i had have its story to tell...plus its way cheaper than bnew ones...

now,im keeping 3 20+ year old guitars...as it feels better, sounds better than bnew ones that ive tested in our local music stores. relic'd guitar have its x-factor for me than bnew ones, probably its their "mojo" being played by numerous musicians that held it through the years, hoping that their skills will be instilled in the instrument and make me a better player... :wink:

8-) 8-) 8-)
black moon creeping...

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 07:42:04 AM »
Maybe we should all hang on to our brand new guitars a bit longer to see if they settle into our ears. Or not. My 9-year old Strat wouldn't be that old if i let it go the first few months i bought it. :P

Offline red_hot

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »
for me ok lang 2nd hand guitar dipende sa klase i go for vintage type of guitar more solid yellowish na yung neck and much solid..... but there are some brand new unit but cultured yun ayos.....
well ok tlga b.new pero kung vintage minsan mas mahal pa sa price ng bago because of the wood i guess!!!!....
God Of Sin

"Evolution of Dime"   Mic Foam For Sale http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,227373.0.html

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 08:49:13 AM »
Of course, father time and mother nature  does their number on the guitar transforming it into one organic whole with its own distinct voice instead of just a bunch of wood and metal thrown together. It's hard to predict how it eventually turns out or sounds but it's not magic either.

An even better example are acoustic guitars.  All that glue and wood (especially the neck and body) fusing together produces a single resonating box, instead of several pieces of wood fighting for their own voice and being stunted by fresh glue.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:51:31 AM by deltaslim »

Offline thr3ten

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »
brand new.. ako na lang mag add ng mojo
Pulling Teeth!

Offline zyehj

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »
maybe it psychological.

old guitars = reliable, tested, gone to many gigs / experienced, sound is molded in time because of mods,  sentimental value.etc
new guitar = fresh, to be tested and modded, have to gain experience and build your relationship with your new guitar (unlike the old one gamay nyo na) etc.

for me i like brand new para may personal touch talaga from the start
cheers!

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
i like new guitars that are shiny.. ako na ang magpapaluma sa kanila, at least i know kung panong alaga ang meron sila habang naluluma sa pag gamit.. gusto ko rin kung may chips o bangas man, ako ang makakagawa, para alam ko ang kwento behind that..
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »
I totally agree with the TS, I've bought a couple of brand new guitars back then(Tele's, RG's...) and the feel is completely different compared to the older and used guitars. The older guitars grows in me easier compared to the brand new guitars.