hulika

Author Topic: PCMCIA firewire question!  (Read 1620 times)

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
PCMCIA firewire question!
« on: May 13, 2006, 06:33:21 PM »
I checked out places here and found that they sell a PCMCIA firewire port that is generic which is 1,800php . It has six pins and has 400mps

does this have a power pass through?? Is this good enough to be used for an external recording interface I'll be buying (presonus firebox thanks to kitC for the recommendation!)

When i searched the net PCMCIA firewire cards vary from $15 - $60

so which ones are good??? is it ok to get a $15 one??

Offline jplacson

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 06:40:55 PM »
Not all PCMCIA Firewire cards have power pass thru... even 6 pin ones.  It would be better if you could try it out in the shop.

Or try to find out which chipset it's using then surf for details online
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 03:42:27 AM »
doesn't the presonus have a power supply of its own as an option?

if not, I saw powered 6pin pcmcia cards in greenhills that go for around the same price since they aren't normally powered esp PC ports.

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:50:16 PM »
i already got a pcmcia card for only 800 pesos 40 pesos more for delivery. Its 6 pinned and has 2 firewire ports. But i haven't tried it yet maybe tonight when i get home. Its pretty cheap compared to the prices at the mall which ranges from 1.8k to 2.8k .

and it has 1 year warranty too!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 01:00:22 PM »
Quote from: lovecore
doesn't the presonus have a power supply of its own as an option?

if not, I saw powered 6pin pcmcia cards in greenhills that go for around the same price since they aren't normally powered esp PC ports.

The Firebox comes with a power adapter and can be bus powered.

@balta - check if the card has power passthru. Not all 6-pin cards support that. In any event, you might want to use the power adaptor instead because of the battery drain the Firebox will impose on your laptop.

The MOTU Ultralite is beginning to look very appealing to me because I just found out that the newer MOTU models now come with AKM converters, the same ones found in PT hardware.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 01:07:28 PM »
i am sure this one has power pass through but will check later.
If this powers and charges my  ipod does it mean it that is has power pass thru??

I'll research more on the MOTU light

I've heard so many praises for it

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 02:21:22 PM »
Quote from: balta
i am sure this one has power pass through but will check later.
If this powers and charges my  ipod does it mean it that is has power pass thru??

Yes it does.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire