hulika

Author Topic: Live Recording Tips  (Read 2715 times)

Offline bunny rabbit

Live Recording Tips
« on: May 17, 2006, 07:49:44 PM »
guys, do you have any tips for live recordings? my band's planning to make a demo. your comments would be great. thanks!
girls like guys with fast fingers...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Live Recording Tips
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:12:48 PM »
hmm, that can get hairy.  venue? (live gig or at home?)  if you're doing it at home then im guessing you have a mixer and enough mics and preamps for the drums.  how many memebers in the band (instruments)? how many mics do you have? what are your available equipment?
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline bunny rabbit

Live Recording Tips
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 08:49:30 PM »
we're thinking about going to a studio. any tips on how we should set our volumes, eq settings, etc.. thanks!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Live Recording Tips
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 10:14:09 PM »
well, if you're going to a studio, first things first,  make sure that the drums, guitars, etc are properly tuned before you begin your session.  do not overlook this part. garbage in, garbage out.  make sure that everythng sounds right BEFORE the engineer hits the record button.  if the studio has an iso booth it would better to put the guitar amp in there so as to minimize the bleed that goes into the drum mics.  these days instruments can be recorded in full bandwidth thanks to digital technology, and then mixed afterwards. it would be good if you can do vocal overdubs as the most important part of a song are the vocals (if a song has vocals, that is). therefore, it has to be perfect. this is where curing or punching in can help big time, aside from the isolation a vocal overdub provides (which makes mixing easier).  from what i hear this is how the first bamboo album was done.  everything was recorded live in a small room, then bamboo overdubbed his vocal parts later. good luck.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline bunny rabbit

Live Recording Tips
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:16:23 PM »
ohhh.. thanks bro!

Offline bunny rabbit

Live Recording Tips
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 07:52:57 AM »
i have another question. i have a zoom g2 and i was wondering if it would be better to plug the g2 straight to the mixer than running it through an amp during a live recording. what do you guys think?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Live Recording Tips
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 03:50:26 PM »
do a soundcheck of a FOH (front of house) signal that is mixed properly so the levels sound good as close as they can when you play for real.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline bunny rabbit

Live Recording Tips
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 08:01:49 PM »
FOH signal? Sorry bro, I'm such a noob when it comes to recording jargon. Could you please explain what an FOH signal is? Thanks!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Live Recording Tips
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 11:29:50 PM »
Quote from: bunny rabbit
FOH signal? Sorry bro, I'm such a noob when it comes to recording jargon. Could you please explain what an FOH signal is? Thanks!

Abyss means that maybe everything sounds perfect with the amps mics, PA, drums, etc., but when you hear the stereo mix from the mixer, the levels or eq'ing doesn't sound right when recorded.  

I've always thought that live recording should have two components: THE LIVE SOUND and THE RECORDED SOUND.  What sounds great blasting through the PA speakers might sound like crap through your recorder (and I assume it is a stereo mix).  Therefore, it is imperative to have a separate stereo signal coming out through the PA and another stereo mix through your recorder (and in the case of multitrack recording, the headaches are much worse).

I've always thought of 2 approaches:  Splitting the mic signals to two mixers (one for the PA, another for the signal being recorded - preferably with built-in effects like compressors and reverb), or having a good AUX send mix from the mixer (that sounds different from that coming through the PA speakers).  

And the best thing of all is having A TIGHT PERFORMANCE.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Live Recording Tips
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 08:14:20 AM »
many thanks for the clarification, skunk.

true, there is really 2 components to a live sound. when mixing a front of house signal from the PA mixer, you are essentially capturing the actual sound from the band themselves. the PA or room mix is a counterpart to this direct recording that complements the band performance with the environment recording of the venue to capture the room, audience, and other features of the live setting. even better if you can bus the recordings  to separate tracks so you have more tracks to mix down with later on for maybe a remix or something.  i've edited a few live performances this way and it really does come out very well because you have a performance recording as well as a response to the performance being recorded. however, know that recording a live performance should be done with ample preparation before hand because botched levels cannot be suffiently repaired, especially if you are doing recording digitally. note volume spikes, voltage spikes, and proper EQ settings to make sure you are getting that proper "direct" sound from each of the mics you are using. nothing sounds weirder than those "kweba" recordings that people put up online and think it is a good recording overall. maybe its because I am a purist when it comes to doing this stuff, I don't know. the way I figure it, do a recording well by preparing for it the right way. your fans will love you for it:)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Live Recording Tips
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 02:59:27 PM »
One question:  Are the performances on SNL, Conan, Jay Leno, etc. all LIVE MIXES?  Are they straight from the FOH?  They sound much better than the local live productions especially in MTV Pilipinas and MYX.  Parang di maganda ang levels ng local live feeds sa TV.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Live Recording Tips
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 04:17:10 PM »
Usually they are. I can only speak for the control rooms I have been in for newscasts but I imagine they work the same way. A direct from board signal is usually the working audio signal that you get. Ditto for live recordings from bands that are released for DVD live footage. For Nine Inch Nails, I know they did a direct from board recording for the last DVD they released for the Fragility tour. The current tour (with Teeth 2006) is relying mainly on Digidesign's live consoles (two of them) for capturing separate tracks for all the band members and whatever else is being recorded at a given venue. The main boards I've seen at being used around lately (for live sound recording) are Digidesign, Allen and Heath, and SSL.

Offline bunny rabbit

Live Recording Tips
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 08:11:50 AM »
Thanks guys! Learned a lot!