hulika

Author Topic: inputs pls...  (Read 1780 times)

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
inputs pls...
« on: May 18, 2006, 06:17:20 AM »

i really need your help!! i'm planning to buy this to record some of our songs...

our band plays from heavy to prog rock.... we are a 4 piece band( 2 guitars, 1 bass and 5 piece drum set w/ 3 cymbals and a high hat)

do i still need to plug it in the computer? or can i record direct (out of the box) the only thing i know i need to add are a couple of mic's, studio monitors, headphones...hehe.... this is just my first time to record on my own... so i really need a lot of your inputs!

oh and... just wanna ask kung sulit ba toh? ok ba feedbacks? user friendly ba? ok ba quality ng recording?

salamat!
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
inputs pls...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 06:18:42 AM »
pahabol....

Fostex VF160EX 16-Track Recorder with CD Burner Features:

Internal 40GB E-IDE Maxtor hard drive
Built-in CDR drive
Total of 16 tracks
8 virtual tracks
40GB hard disk
8 mic inputs
ADAT optical I/O
2 independent multi-effects DSPs
Fader Pairing
Channel Solo
BPM delays 2 - XLR channel ins; 2 - 1/4" TRS send/return; ADAT; S/PDIF; MIDI; 2 - 1/4" monitor jacks; 1/4" stereo headphone jack; 1/4" jack - AUX send (TIP: send 1/RING: send 2); RCA out (L, R); 1/4" footswitch jack
60mm faders for all 16 channels
3-band EQ with parametric mid and high
Master EQ
Channel and master compressors
2 effect sends and 2 aux sends per channel
99 mix scene memory

Fostex VF160EX 16-Track Recorder with CD Burner Specifications:

FDMS-3 (Fostex Disk Management System-3 ver. 1)
Sampling frequency: 44.1kHz
Quantization: 16-bit linear (non-compressed)
ADC 20-bit 64-time oversampling Delta/Sigma
DAC 24-bit 128-time oversampling Delta/Sigma
16 tracks + 8 virtual tracks; maximum 16 track play and simultaneous recording
Pitch control: ±6%
Crossfade 10ms
Frequency response 20Hz-20kHz
Dynamic range 88dB or more
THD >0.01% (typical)
Crosstalk: 60dB or more @1kHz
Equalizer: Low - 400Hz +/-18dB (Shelving); Mid - 500Hz 20.2kHz +/-18dB (Parametric); Hi - 500Hz 20.2kHz +/-18dB (Parametric, Shelving)
I/O: 8 - 1/4" jacks plus 2 - XLR channel ins; 2 - 1/4" TRS send/return; ADAT; S/PDIF; MIDI; 2 - 1/4" monitor jacks; 1/4" stereo headphone jack; 1/4" jack - AUX send (TIP: send 1/RING: send 2); RCA out (L, R); 1/4" footswitch jack

:lol:  :?:

Offline jplacson

inputs pls...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 02:58:30 PM »
It's a decent recorder... but if you were to ask me... I'd spend money for proper studio time instead.

There's a lot more to recording than just pressing a button.  You might end up spending a lot more than you would if you went to a good studio to record.    Since this will be your first time to record, you may end up spending more time learning how to work the recorder, than just playing.

Unless you're serious about the time and money that it takes to invest in a good recording, just my opinion, I'd suggest going to a studio first.

**note** not sure from your specs, but it only seems to have 2 XLR ins... which MAY mean (not sure) that it takes LINE-IN on the other 6 inputs... you may need to buy preamps for the other mics.  Again, I'm just going from the specs you posted.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
inputs pls...
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:55:45 PM »
ah ok...but how about DAW? any suggestions on what brand(s)? please include everything that I need from mics, preamps, interfaces to  monitors...etc..

actually im just interested on learning to record and mix our music (parang experiment). kasi i already have a rehearsal studio at home, kulang nalang talga pang recording... complete na instruments ko from guitars to drums to mixers to soundproof...yan nalang talaga kulang... parang masarap kasi yung nagmmix ka and everything tapos may hawak ka pang beer on the side...haha!!

but seriously, i just like this to be a hobby and not a career coz i know ang dami ko pang kelangan malaman sa recording industry....but who knows....malay nyo matuto... :D

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
inputs pls...
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 09:54:16 PM »
A lot of people thought that point and shoot instamatic cameras would mean the end of professional photography.  They were wrong.

So if you wanna record your stuff, at the very least, you have to be immersed to a lot of recording experience, as a client to begin with.  Don't go the shorter route of buying yourself equipment if you expect professional-sounding results.  Jplacson is right.  Support your local studio, and that is money well spent if you know what studio to choose, and the right people to work with.  

Now once you've gathered some experience, try going to recording school, or take a crash course on DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING, PHYSICS of SOUND, NOISE-SHAPING, SIGNAL FILTERS, and read some books on recording and mixing.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
inputs pls...
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 03:58:41 AM »
i can only suggest to you to STUDY it well... here is a site so that you will have an idea on how much recording stuff costs. (samash.com, musiciansfriend.com at guitarcenter.com) .  kung hobby mo lang yan eh stick to the basic stuff..  i hate to say it pero magsasayang ka lang ng pera kung iniiisip mong makaka kuha ka ng " professional sound" sa mga cheap gear..tama sila na kung gusto mong ma achieve ang pro sound.. just go to a professional studio. IMHO its either a pro sounding song or project or something unfit for listening.. because its like this..once you immerse yourself in buying expensive gears.. there is no turning back unless you SELL them..mahirap kapusin sa budget kapag me kulang yung studio na sine setup mo.. now going back to BASIC stuff para lang makapag record ka e 4 track machine ( tape) or just get a 2 channel computer interface para makapag record ka kung me computer ka na. take it from me i started with 4 track tape to record my songs, then i needed compressor/limiters. then mics then cables etc etc.. then i switched to reel to reel tapes..before i know it i was buying bigger mixing boards and DAT's to mix my songs but eventually LEARNED that my gears aren't  " PRO ENOUGH"..  :evil: ...  i am just letting you take a sneak peek into the future.
PS
unless you have money to burn, then go ahead. the guys here will be happy to teach you  8)
Music is art in sound...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
inputs pls...
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 01:25:41 PM »
guys - altho he mentioned recording quality as a concern, i don't think leech mentioned that he wanted professional sounding output. rather he emhasized learning about recording.  ako i would support his search for tools so he can learn it himself w/ advise of experts like all of you.  i'm a newbie myself and also want to learn to record well, albeit not necessarily professional recordings yet, so i can emphatize w/ leech's situation.

leech - ang dinig ko mas ok dumeretso na sa PC-based recording vs. using those digital multritrack recorders. aside from the PC, you might need some interface equipment.  search mo ung past threads dito na pang-beginner.

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
inputs pls...
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:20:24 PM »
deltaslim Posted: 06-05-2006 01:25 PM    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

guys - altho he mentioned recording quality as a concern, i don't think leech mentioned that he wanted professional sounding output. rather he emhasized learning about recording. ako i would support his search for tools so he can learn it himself w/ advise of experts like all of you. i'm a newbie myself and also want to learn to record well, albeit not necessarily professional recordings yet, so i can emphatize w/ leech's situation.

leech - ang dinig ko mas ok dumeretso na sa PC-based recording vs. using those digital multritrack recorders. aside from the PC, you might need some interface equipment. search mo ung past threads dito na pang-beginner.

EXACTLY my point  :D  i dont plan to make it a career, gusto ko lang matuto kung pano mag record... 8)

deltaslim --->  Yup bro! i'm now choosing between MOTU ultralite or the presonus firepod!  :wink:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
inputs pls...
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 11:36:32 PM »
Quote from: leech

deltaslim --->  Yup bro! i'm now choosing between MOTU ultralite or the presonus firepod!  :wink:

Always design the pc around the interface and software you want to use. Remember that the 2 interfaces you mentioned above are firewire and some will not work with certain onboard firewire chipsets, specifically Via firewire. The most recommended firewire pci cards are based on Texas Instruments chipsets.

The presonus is appealing from the pc standpoint because it comes with Cubase LE; enough to get you started with recording. The motu unit does not come with pc software but comes with AudioDesk, a Mac-based recording software which has its roots in Digital Performer I think. If you're using a Mac Mini or Powerbook, Motu is the way to go (the Ultralite is also a solid performer with pc systems, btw).
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire