hulika

Author Topic: what would you prefer?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« on: May 27, 2006, 11:26:29 PM »
need your opinions please...

what would you prefer if your just starting to venture onto home recording?...

M-Audio
FireWire 1814 FireWire Audio / MIDI Interface  

...........OR...........

Hercules
1612FW 16 In/12 Out Firewire Audio Interface

suggestions , comments are welcome.. :D
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
what would you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 11:55:28 PM »
If you really want to start with a firewire interface, I recommend the Motu Ultralite which costs only $50 more. Way better converters than anything M-Audio can offer. On the other hand, M-Audio gives you Pro Tools LE compatibility, but at extra cost.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 03:54:05 AM »
oic... but how about the  hercules?  what are your comments on this? i dont really know much about firewire interfaces but how important is the A/d D/A converters? where do you actually use it?

how much is enough inputs/ouputs? i really dont know why other interfaces have more outputs than inputs? what do you think is the most apropriate interface to use if i'm going to use atleast 3 guitars, 1 bass, 2 mics and a 5 piece drumset with 3 cymbals? but i really dont need to record it simultaneously though....help pls!  :D

Offline mariuo

what would you prefer?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 09:20:50 AM »
yeah so many people in other forums say motu is really good. i think a/d converters are the ones that actually deal with your instruments output or sound, how it goes into the computer. not 100% sure but thats what i understand from tutorials hehe :D as far as inputs.. i wish i could have more than 2. thats just me

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
what would you prefer?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 11:01:19 AM »
Quote from: leech
oic... but how about the  hercules?  what are your comments on this? i dont really know much about firewire interfaces but how important is the A/d D/A converters? where do you actually use it?

The quality of the converters is very important especially if you want pristine sound; the converters are the heart of your soundcard/audio interface. I've read recently that the Motu Traveller, 828, 896 and now the Ultralite use AKM converters which are similar to the ones found in Pro Tools interfaces. As mariuo says, they do the conversion from analog sound into digital streams and poor converters will color your sound.

Hercules is relatively new to the business of soundcards; Motu is quite well established  and respected in the world of pro audio. Do a search for user reviews on the Guillemot Isis and you'll understand why I'm steering you away from Hercules.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 10:33:08 PM »
ah ok... but comparing the motu traveler and the Presonus - FirePod FireWire Audio Interface , what would you prefer? sorry kung maraming akong tanong hehe!! pweo kailangan ko talaga malaman eh... :D  if you were to pick one.... between motu traveller, maudio or presonus.... what would it be? pros and cons? thanks!!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 12:19:33 AM »
Quote from: leech
ah ok... but comparing the motu traveler and the Presonus - FirePod FireWire Audio Interface , what would you prefer? sorry kung maraming akong tanong hehe!! pweo kailangan ko talaga malaman eh... :D  if you were to pick one.... between motu traveller, maudio or presonus.... what would it be? pros and cons? thanks!!

we need answers here...discuss 8)  :D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 01:30:08 AM »
yup!! tulong!! :D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
what would you prefer?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 02:52:06 AM »
Why rehash what's already been written but here's the lowdown on all 3:

M-Audio Firewire 1814

Presonus Firepod

MOTU Ultralite (I think you meant Ultralite because the Traveler is more expensive at around $850.

It all boils down to I/O preference. If you need 8 XLR mic inputs, the Firepod fits the bill, plus s/pdif coaxial I/O, you get at total of 10 inputs and outputs.

The Ultralite has 2 XLR/TRS combo connectors vs. the Firepod's 8. S/pdif is also coaxial so you get a total of 10 inputs. On the Ultralite, however, the main outs and headphone outs are separately assignable so you get a total of 14 outputs. The Ultralite can also function as a standalone digital mixer when not connected to a computer.

The M-Audio FW 1814 has 2 mic pre amps, but it's 6 other analog inputs are unbalanced as compared to the other 2. The 1814, however, also has ADAT capability plus the coaxial s/pdif gives you a total of 18 inputs, but only 8 of those are analog. Analog outputs are 4 plus ADAT and s/pdif gives you a total of 14 outputs.

Also note that the Presonus and MOTU offer AKM converters similar to those used in Apogee and RME interfaces. I cannot determine what converters the M-Audio uses.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 04:00:16 AM »
ang mamahal nama nnyan KiTC ehehe ala ka bang ma irerecomend na rang $150-$250 lang na pareho ng quality ng converters nyang mga ni specify mo kahit 2 analog ins and outs lang ?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 08:54:09 AM »
hmmm, i think it would help to make a sticky thread about audio interfaces and how to start a home recording studio. just a suggestion.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 09:51:09 AM »
yup!! i think thats a good idea!! :D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
what would you prefer?
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 10:28:15 AM »
Quote from: bugoy
ang mamahal nama nnyan KiTC ehehe ala ka bang ma irerecomend na rang $150-$250 lang na pareho ng quality ng converters nyang mga ni specify mo kahit 2 analog ins and outs lang ?

In reply lang ako sa original question ni leech na naglalaro ang mga FW interfaces around the $500 range. Right now, the cheaper FW interfaces belong to M-Audio, Presonus and Hercules. Judging by Hercules' previous performance, medyo risky getting their interfaces inspite of the good price. M-Audio builds good solid interfaces but their cost reflects the quality of the components and an audio interface is only as good as it's converters and clock. That leaves us with Presonus which is known to have AKM converters, among the best in the business. The names to look for in converters are AKM (Asahi-Kasei), Cirrus Logic, Burr-Brown, and a couple more whose names escape me ATM.

Hazel, I like the idea about making a sticky re: audio interfaces and starting a home recording setup. It is a rather large article (or two) and time is my enemy right now. If someone could start  the article(s), I'd be happy to make it into a sticky. Any takers?

Offline Sound Weavers

what would you prefer?
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 10:43:16 AM »
leech, I would recommend the FIREPOD based on the assumptions
* that your recording requirements will most likely be multi-input tracking (4 pc band settings)
* you will most likely mix in the computer
* if you want to expand your inputs later you can just add another FIREPOD

Aside from the quality of converters, PRESONUS stuff are built like tanks.

HTH.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 10:44:02 AM »
Kit, suggestion.  cut paste and compile nalang all the relevant info on audio interfaces, dealers, etc.  in this forum :)  that should be pretty useful already as this subject has been discussed repeatedly.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 10:48:59 AM »
sir kitC magkano naman yung sinasabi mo pong Presonus dyan sa last post mo po ? at ilang in/out ?

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
what would you prefer?
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 11:11:29 AM »
ganda nitong PreSonus Inspire 1394 ahh parang pinaliit na X-box eheheh

ok rin kaya yan ? what can you say sir KitC

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
what would you prefer?
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 11:42:38 AM »
Quote from: bugoy
ganda nitong PreSonus Inspire 1394 ahh parang pinaliit na X-box eheheh

ok rin kaya yan ? what can you say sir KitC

It's ok if you need 4 inputs. Lumalabas $50/input. Step up to the Firebox at $300, same ratio din.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
what would you prefer?
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 12:00:20 PM »
Quote from: starfugger
Kit, suggestion.  cut paste and compile nalang all the relevant info on audio interfaces, dealers, etc.  in this forum :)  that should be pretty useful already as this subject has been discussed repeatedly.

Hazel,

I'll seriously consider that. Yun lang, medyo kalat ang data so it might take some time which I don't have much of right now. If someone could start a thread, I could make it a sticky.