hulika

Author Topic: direct boxes  (Read 2869 times)

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct boxes
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:18:18 AM »
to all sound system owners and bar owners:

awa ng diyos, please do not place a DI box in front of an amp!!!  it is supposed to get signal from the amp!!!!  ano pa silbi ng amp if you place a DI in front?  monitor na lang siya?!!!!  aba, nag amp pa kayo.  it's really frustrating when the tech guys insist on this stupid idea.

guitar -->  amp --[line out]--> DI

and NOT

guitar --> DI --> amp

geez...

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct boxes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:09:31 AM »
mas okey kung mic-in nalang nila... pero wag naka sling ang mic cable sa handle ng amp at naka bitin ng baliktad ang mic sa harap ng speaker! dapat gumamit ng short boom mic stand.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Agent_So

• Veteran Member
direct boxes
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:49:21 PM »
hahaha! i thought this thread is for inquiries for DI's... hehehe..

anyways.... im planning to buy a behringer DI PRO DI4000 for my studio.. any comment on this or even a suggestion??
Solemn Harmony Studio
Blk-1, Lot-7, Diamond St., Silverhomes Classic, Perpetual Village 7, Bacoor, Cavite. CELL: 0915-492-2800 (Premier,Peavey,Hartke,Mackie,JBL,Shure,DBX,Zoom)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct boxes
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 07:03:07 PM »
i've heard good things about it. A bit of noise over time from dirt which is normal so just make sure to plug in clean cables and dust it every so often to keep contact noise at a minimum.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: direct boxes
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 11:43:15 AM »
Quote from: tele-tubby
to all sound system owners and bar owners:

awa ng diyos, please do not place a DI box in front of an amp!!!  it is supposed to get signal from the amp!!!!  ano pa silbi ng amp if you place a DI in front?  monitor na lang siya?!!!!  aba, nag amp pa kayo.  it's really frustrating when the tech guys insist on this stupid idea.

guitar -->  amp --[line out]--> DI

and NOT

guitar --> DI --> amp

geez...

Yung kakilala kong banda, nag-guest sa isang youth-oriented talk show.  Nakaset-up yung instruments, tapos yung gitarista naka-rekta sa amp.  Ang ganda daw ng OD channel.  So all along nung taping ang ganda nung live sound.

Pagkapanood nung episode, NGEEKKK?  CLEAN TONE LANG ANG ISANG GITARA THE WHOLE TIME!   LEAD PA MAN DIN SIYA! :x  Yung DI box na papunta sa FOH pala ang kinunan ng TV soundtrack, kaya yung kawawa kong kaibigang gitarista na naka-direct sa amp walang OD.

Offline analogueorange

• Philmusicus Noobitus
direct boxes
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 07:03:44 PM »
this is only fine when there is no parallel output from the d.i to go to the mixer. some d.i boxes have parallel output that splits the signal to the amp and mixer; this is a handy way to record bass as well. yet, there is a lot of ways to record where there is no right way but only guidelines.

an active d.i with controls on eqs, drive, etc... can also be use as a pre-amp. it's a matter of personal taste.

Offline jplacson

direct boxes
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 08:01:55 PM »
Just like the whole "hang the SM57 from the amp handle pointing towards the floor"?  I can't believe bar owners and some big audio rental compaines still have this annoying habit.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct boxes
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 04:15:04 PM »
Quote from: analogueorange
this is only fine when there is no parallel output from the d.i to go to the mixer. some d.i boxes have parallel output that splits the signal to the amp and mixer; this is a handy way to record bass as well. yet, there is a lot of ways to record where there is no right way but only guidelines.

an active d.i with controls on eqs, drive, etc... can also be use as a pre-amp. it's a matter of personal taste.

d.i. boxes have balanced XLR output (mic level) to send audio signal to the mixer and unbalanced 1/4" phone jack parallel output (line level) to send signal to other equipment such as an instrument amp.

many bass amps, acoustic guitar amps and keyboard amps nowadays don't need a separate d.i. box because they already have XLR output (mic level) built-in to send audio signal direct to the mixer. most of these instrument amps also have 1/4" phone jack "effects send" output (line level) and 1/4" phone jack "speaker extension" output (speaker level).

guitar amps usually have unbalanced 1/4" phone jack "effects send" output (line level) and 1/4" phone jack "speaker extension" output (speaker level) only. it is very rare to find a guitar amp with built-in XLR output (mic level) to send audio signal direct to the mixer.

to use d.i. box with a guitar amp, plug a short guitar cable into the guitar amp's "effects send" output then plug the other end of the short guitar cable into the input of the d.i. box.

speaker level d.i. boxes can accept signal from an instrument amp's "speaker extension" output. to use speaker level d.i. box with an instrument amp, plug a speaker cable into the amp's "speaker extension" output then plug the other end of the speaker cable into the input of the speaker level d.i. box.

hope this helps.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct boxes
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 01:41:57 AM »
Quote from: jplacson
Just like the whole "hang the SM57 from the amp handle pointing towards the floor"?  I can't believe bar owners and some big audio rental compaines still have this annoying habit.

The solution to that is this:

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct boxes
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 02:07:34 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
Quote from: jplacson

magkano yan skunky ? at may local distributor ba dito nyan ?

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct boxes
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 01:43:35 PM »

NO, I wouldn't sling the mic cable around the guitar amp's top handle because it would put stress on the cable which might break the connection of small wires inside. Also, I think XLR connectors are not built to carry the weight of that mic but they can take the weight of a small condenser mic only.

A better way is to use a short boom mic stand.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct boxes
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 03:46:23 PM »
Quote from: Tarkuz Toccata

NO, I wouldn't sling the mic cable around the guitar amp's top handle because it would put stress on the cable which might break the connection of small wires inside. Also, I think XLR connectors are not built to carry the weight of that mic but they can take the weight of a small condenser mic only.

A better way is to use a short boom mic stand.

It's best to use a boom mic stand.  But to answer the dangling mic rant (implying NO MIC STANDS) I just emphasized that the E609 can do the proper pickup pattern despite being hung right in front of the speaker grill.  Because if I had a mic stand I would go for an SM57 instead.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct boxes
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 06:46:02 PM »
the E609 can do the proper pickup pattern despite being hung right in front of the speaker grill.

Noted. I have never used that mic before. I wonder how well it performs...  :?