hulika

Author Topic: Test if you have golden ears...  (Read 1865 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Test if you have golden ears...
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:30:42 PM »
Kids are using 17KHz ring tones to in school so teacher can't hear them. WTF?  Can you hear them anyway? :lol:

clip 1

clip 2

clip 3

Offline jplacson

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:47:58 AM »
Is this real?  I didn't know celfone speakers could reproduce these tones! :P  Don't their dogs go crazy???  :lol:

Just wondering... why not just set it to vibrate???  And good hearing or not, a constant tone will not allow for sound localization... so how would you know whose phone was ringing???
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline jplacson

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 12:54:03 AM »
po*a... that hurt!!!!

**lesson one... TURN DOWN VOLUME BEFORE PLAYING UNKNOWN WAVS...  :lol:

the 17khz was the least painful.. the atc is THE worst... the mosquito is this weird pulsing high pitched thing, is that a real mosquito???... none of them show up on WinAmps spectrum analyzer when I played them back.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Test if you have golden ears...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 01:15:20 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
Kids are using 17KHz ring tones to in school so teacher can't hear them. WTF?  Can you hear them anyway? :lol:

I must be part dog, I heard 'em... Why don't they just use vibra mode though....

Offline jplacson

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 01:28:52 AM »
isn't the average threshold for human hearing 20khz?  This isn't absolute... which means that we can actually hear above this... just not so well.

Soon our dogs will have ringtones like this too!!! Hahahahah
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline tWoKp.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:18:11 AM »
from wat i heard women can hear more higher frequencies louder than men. dont know if dats a fact. Those samples are irritating to my ears

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 09:51:55 AM »
i can hear all three. the second one has a longer wavelength than the first and third. the third clip's amplitude is the loudest of the three.

i am curious, why are they using these tones?
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 02:07:23 PM »
Quote from: tWoKp.
from wat i heard women can hear more higher frequencies louder than men. dont know if dats a fact.

Quote from: Mike Pedero
Read that one, too.  It is but natural for older people not to be able to hear the high frequencies.  Very prevalent among older men.  Women, they sense everything.  I think the teacher who caught the student with a celphone on was a woman.  Studies by Montgomery, Steinberg and Gardner (Knudsen, Acoustical Designing in Architecture, ASA, 1958) indicate that starting at age 20, more men l have HF hearing loss than women.  At age 40 - 49, at 3520 hz., 16 men against 3 women.  At age 50 - 59, 27 men vs 7 women.  But look here, at that same age bracket at 880 hz., 2.6 men vs. 4.0 women.  At age 40 - 49, 2.1 women vs. 1.4 men.  Thus, in the case of women, it seems they lose LF more as they grow older.  Conclusion, come out with a ring tone on the LF band.  Women will not hear it as much.  Call it Elephant Tone?  

FWIW
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty