hulika

Author Topic: Boutique Pedal Review: Matchless Hot Box -- Not for the financially challenged  (Read 73180 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus

Good tone = decent gear
Great tone = lotsa practice

VERY TRUE, OT lang...
last year nasa kaliblibang probinsiya ako para bumisita at me band na tumugtog, low class yung gear meaning luma na yung guitars ( hindi pa orig at CHEAP copy pa), amps saka keyboard at na play ko yung drums- tunog balde..guess what ? nung tumugtog na yung band napa tunganga ako.. i was blown away!!! sarap ng tugtugan, sa tuwa ko binigyan ko ng 2 box ng guitar strings yung guitarist.. it only proves TONE IS REALLY IN THE HANDS..
PS
kakahiya mang aminin na kahit na medyo mahal mga guitars ko, hindi ko pa din makukuhang TUMUNOG ng katulad nung guitarist ma me murang guitar. : :-(
Music is art in sound...

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
Re: Boutique Pedal Review: Matchless Hot Box -- Not for the financially challeng
« Reply #301 on: December 10, 2006, 12:18:46 AM »
Deltaslim,

Great tone is in practice?  Akala ko in the hands... 

paano ka ba mag practice ng gitara? kinakagat ung strings tapos nagfefret ng paa? [chewbacca].

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Boutique Pedal Review: Matchless Hot Box -- Not for the financially challeng
« Reply #302 on: December 10, 2006, 12:27:39 AM »
Deltaslim,

Great tone is in practice?  Akala ko in the hands... 

paano ka ba mag practice ng gitara? kinakagat ung strings tapos nagfefret ng paa? [chewbacca].
hahahaha LOL.. ano yun Hendrix? kahit na si Jeff Healey na iba hawak sa guitar , daliri pa rin gamit..
Music is art in sound...

Offline brandey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #303 on: December 10, 2006, 04:01:07 AM »
wahahaha ok talaga d2 sa philmusic. buo nanaman araw ko may bumara nanaman sa kanya :-D ano nanaman kaya sasabihin nun para bumawi? hehehe :lol:

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Deltaslim,

Recently lang kayo nag CHAT with Joey?  Good for you.  Matagal ko na siya nakilala at kasama ko siya, ni Andy and Mel nagshoot out kami ng maraming gitara.  And he still loves his MIJ Strat because we can ALL agree that it sounds better than the others we tested.  So, did you ask him how many Squiers he tested?  Joey will tell you TONE IS IN THE HANDS.  He has always said that but personally I dont agree with that.  HANDS are a large factor but on the same set of hands, equipment now becomes important. 

You can work your hands practicing 24 hours a day and still not improve tone.  You can practice on a Santa Mesa guitar all day and still sound bad on the same guitar.  You can be the fastest gun in practice and not be heard in a band context because your equipment wont cut thru.  As your skills improve, gear starts to matter more and more because texture/timbre now becomes important.  As you gain more technique, you start to reach a certain threshold of skill and you start to now depend on gear to give you variation and to learn new skills.  Si YJM practice ng practice pero si Slash hindi na nagpractice pero parehong maganda ang tone nila para sa akin.  Most of you might even favor slash's tone but the guy does not practice at all anymore.  Ang latest improvement niya was to start using a VOX and a Komet kasi raw it gives a different sound and feel versus his marshalls.  Wala naman siya sinabi na dinamihan niya ang practice hours niya.

Lahat naman tayo nagpractice pero hindi naman lahat maganda ang TONE.

My point is that you have no point because you are all over the place.   People who laugh at me are laughing because they are ignorant, and they choose to shut their mind and take consolation in laughing together as a group, too bad.

• Forum Fanatic
toybitz,

The second paragraph's first sentence is a paraphrase of a quote Deltaslim put on one of these threads.  The capitalized sentence is my logical deduction as a result of his generalization that Squiers are good enough for Joey and thus we deserve Squiers. 

Sorry, but I do not agree.  Joey may have found the one of the true good sounding Squiers but I still have not.  What I have found are numerous bad sounding Squiers.  Until I find that Squier, I will say that Squiers are NOT for me and I deserve better. 

• Forum Fanatic
Snidd at BALDO,

Lahat nga marunong humawak ng gitara gamit nga and daliri pero hindi lahat maganda ang tone. 

Snidd,

Tama ka TONE IS IN THE FEET.  May mga tao diyan gamit feet dahil walang kamay.  Mas maganda ang TONE nila siguro kasi matinding practice iyon.  Ang galing talaga ng logic niyo ... which is wala.

• Forum Fanatic
Brandey,

Babaw mo naman kung bara lang ang hinahanap mo sa buhay.  Magaling ka sigurong cheerleader.  Isang araw malalaman mo na lang pati ka-tangahan ay chini-cheer mo.   

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Deltaslim,

Recently lang kayo nag CHAT with Joey?  Good for you.  Matagal ko na siya nakilala at kasama ko siya, ni Andy and Mel nagshoot out kami ng maraming gitara. 

And he still loves his MIJ Strat because we can ALL agree that it sounds better than the others we tested.  So, did you ask him how many Squiers he tested?  Joey will tell you TONE IS IN THE HANDS.  He has always said that but personally I dont agree with that.  HANDS are a large factor but on the same set of hands, equipment now becomes important. 

Haha... pati ba naman ang pagkilala sa isang tao eh pissing contest? Kaya ko sinabi "chat" lang dahil alam ko ia-assume mo na bago ko lang siya kilala eh, dahil alam ko mahilig ka mag name-drop eh.  Well as expected you bit the bait!  FYI, more than 10 years ko na kilala si Joey, nun Mexicali Blues Band pa siya. Kasabayan namin sila nung mid 90s blues boom and I consider him a friend.  Can you call him your friend? Never mind. I'll just ask him next week. 

People who laugh at me are laughing because they are ignorant, and they choose to shut their mind and take consolation in laughing together as a group, too bad.

So this is what's going through your mind. "Why insult just deltaslim? Why not insult the rest?!"

Offline eders19

« Reply #309 on: December 10, 2006, 01:24:03 PM »
Deltaslim,

Great tone is in practice?  Akala ko in the hands...  You are confusing us.  Akala ko rin musicianship is in practice?  Talagang hindi mo alam saan kukunin ang timbre mo.  Well I wish Santa Clause would grant you the insight of tone.

That aside, it was a good year to spar around with but I have been advised that I do not belong in this forum.  The person used the analogy of the building.  I am alone on the 10th floor while the majority are on the 5th floor.  No matter how hard I try to convince the 5th floor guys that the air and view is different on the 10th floor, the 5th floor guys insist it is the same.  The 5th floor guys are pushing me to go down but they dont understand that I already passed the 5th floor and are not willing enough to climb on to the 10th.

You are right.  Time is better spent practicing instead of posting on this forum.  December will be the last month of my posts.

But to you and your family, I wish you best wishes this Christmas and Good Luck on your upcoming gigs...

don't go  :-(
with or without you...

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
« Reply #310 on: December 10, 2006, 01:44:04 PM »

Snidd,

Tama ka TONE IS IN THE FEET. 

wala akong sinabing tone is in the feet. [grape].

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Teka, teka, teka...

I am a professional musician and have been for the past 17 years.

I don't use a compressor.

Not when recording and not when playing live onstage.

I can control my own dynamics and sustain my own notes when i want to, thank you.

And i'm not the only pro guitarist who feels this way.

Here are a few others who do too...

Janno Queyquep, Butch Victoriano (South Border), Kakoi Legaspi (star sessionist these days), and many others.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

• Forum Fanatic
aya,

joke lang iyon ni vhunter... na marami raw nagtatago behind the compressor.  I don't think he meant that it applied to all...

merry xmas pala sa iyo...

• Forum Fanatic
Snidd,

Ikaw nag-imply that whatever is used to fret the guitar while practicing is the source of the tone.  Hindi galing sa akin iyon.  I am just extending your logic which you still don't have.

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
« Reply #314 on: December 11, 2006, 01:39:24 AM »
Snidd,

Ikaw nag-imply that whatever is used to fret the guitar while practicing is the source of the tone.  Hindi galing sa akin iyon.  I am just extending your logic which you still don't have.

di rin.

Offline alkohol

we have supplies now up to vol 8 of the chronicles...

tone is in practice is the same as tone is in the hands simply because 
"the more I learn, the more I see how dumb I am

Offline alkohol

(ooops.. take 2)

tone is in practice is the same as tone is in the hands because WE USE HANDS WHEN WE PRACTICE!... nothing is confusing here

[grape] OR PILOSOPO... or better yet.. [grape] NA PILOSOPO PA

HAY TALAGA NAMAN!!!

CHRONICLES NA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tapos sasabihin nasa 10th floor sya

middle fingers up.. waaaay up!
"the more I learn, the more I see how dumb I am

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
That aside, it was a good year to spar around with but I have been advised that I do not belong in this forum.  The person used the analogy of the building.  I am alone on the 10th floor while the majority are on the 5th floor.  No matter how hard I try to convince the 5th floor guys that the air and view is different on the 10th floor, the 5th floor guys insist it is the same.  The 5th floor guys are pushing me to go down but they dont understand that I already passed the 5th floor and are not willing enough to climb on to the 10th.

OASS,
you sure your on the 10th floor and the rest on the 5th?Or is it the other way around?Your such a cocky $&^%.One thing i'm sure im 100 floors above you,hell yah.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #318 on: December 11, 2006, 10:49:36 AM »
Pucha,

I was gone for 5 days and this thread multiplied. Naking showbiz na about Joey Puyat.

The gun slinging has become about Squiers, Joey Puyat and frets being misread as feet.

Basta, I am just waiting for Al's.........  :lol:
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
hmm...

I think this little clip I have here may have the answer to all your woes about bloody tone. amps, guitars, effects, you're leaving the "room" out of the equation! even a crappy amp can sound good in a room that compliments it's tone!

check out the set up in my bedroom, i defy ANYONE WHO CAN DO BETTER!!!

:mrgreen:

"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
I use my compressor when i SHHHHHRREEEEDD .... lol coz without it i sound like a duck.. hahahha.

• Forum Fanatic
Deltaslim,

I only answer you because you keep on posting in my threads and posting against my posts.  Sorry kung na-insulto ka pala...  Funny you complain about stooping down to my level yet you love posting againt me and yet complain when I answer you which you think are insults?  You are strange.

By the way bago ka magpost that a Squire is good enough because Joey uses it, dapat pala itananong mo muna sa kanya kung bakit iyun ang gamit niya -- ten years ago before you post it here -- at ilan Squier na rin ang napagpilian niya.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #322 on: December 11, 2006, 03:20:02 PM »
Deltaslim,

Great tone is in practice?  Akala ko in the hands...  You are confusing us.  Akala ko rin musicianship is in practice?  Talagang hindi mo alam saan kukunin ang timbre mo.  Well I wish Santa Clause would grant you the insight of tone.

You are right.  Time is better spent practicing instead of posting on this forum.  December will be the last month of my posts.

But to you and your family, I wish you best wishes this Christmas and Good Luck on your upcoming gigs...

Dude, what if there is a 15th floor, or a 20th floor, or moreso, a penthouse?  But then, you need a badge to get you past the 10th floor.  And what is the badge?  Is it "practice", or is it "more gear options?"  And what if someone from the penthouse comes to you on the 10th floor and says, "the Penthouse looks nice but the air is too thin..." 

I think this is pretty similar to an old thread I made ala Plato's "Allegory of the Cave".  It is pointless to argue when people cannot separate timbre from talent.  It's just exhausting. 

Sa recording pa lang ang hirap na magpaliwanag na gamitin ang amp distortion.  Eh paano pa kaya kung mag-recommend na MAMUHAY KASAMA ANG MAGANDANG AMPS? 

After listening to several old and new recordings, it seems to me that equipment are not really getting better, but rather getting more diverse.  It's like, Alex Lifeson of Rush wouldn't look for a hughes and Kettner Triamp back in the "Fly By Night" days simply because they did not exist then.  Hence the Plexis... But then, if someone brought a time machine to the 70's and showed him his "Alex Lifeson signature amp", would he like it? 

Anyway, a lot are simply licking their wounds rather than find the real cure to their tonal deficiencies.  Yes, to some extent, talent can make a below average setup sound great.  Take Jun Lopito for instance; I saw him play through the crappiest Peavey Supersat amps and sounded quite great.  But when he plugged to my Randall RM100 using the Plexi module, he sounded 3x as good.  And it makes me wonder what if you gave him a room full of different amps for him to choose from AND LIVE WITH AND BRING TO GIGS?

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #323 on: December 11, 2006, 03:23:02 PM »
Deltaslim,

By the way bago ka magpost that a Squire is good enough because Joey uses it, dapat pala itananong mo muna sa kanya kung bakit iyun ang gamit niya -- ten years ago before you post it here -- at ilan Squier na rin ang napagpilian niya.

Kaya pala you guys are arguing. You are talking about two totally different brands. Yung kay oas, Squire and then for Delta, it's the Squier.  :-D
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #324 on: December 11, 2006, 03:29:32 PM »
Pucha,

I was gone for 5 days and this thread multiplied. Naking showbiz na about Joey Puyat.

The gun slinging has become about Squiers, Joey Puyat and frets being misread as feet.

Basta, I am just waiting for Al's.........  :lol:

Personally, my take on guitars is that there is a larger success rate with getting cheap but excellent sounding guitars.  So when someone chooses a Squier over an MIA Fender, maybe it's because that SPECIFIC SQUIER sounded better.  But THAT REQUIRED AN INFORMED CHOICE, to try all Strats at his disposal to know which sounds best.  Furthermore, ask Joey - would he always recommend a Squier Strat over others, say like a Suhr?   For me mas malakas ang "tiyamba" factor with guitars.  And with not so expensive upgrades like pickups and hardware, you can improve your guitar further.  What oasgomez is simply saying is that in order to find out, you have to spend quite a bit to have more options, to find out what can work best for you.

But with the case of AMPS, it is totally different.  It is hard to come by a cheap amp that can rival a boutique amp. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 03:31:47 PM by skunkyfunk »