hulika

Author Topic: GUITAR DIGITAL FLOOR MULTI EFFECTS (Why I don't Like Them)  (Read 173 times)

Online firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
I bought my first multi effects unit (which was a rack Digitech DSP Plus) back in 1989.  It was the 'IN' thing then but I only used it once and sold it.  It made my guitar sound one dimensional and closer to a keyboard.  Back then, I thought that digital technology would still mature and produce better sounding effects today.  But somehow the development of digital for application as Guitar FX specially in floor unit configuration did not progress as much as I hoped.

So, here goes my rant against floor Guitar digital multi fx units:

1) A great majority are made in Asia which means cost reduction was the main priority.  Unlike the old rack units made in USA and Europe, sound and durability was the priority.
2) Despite the marketing hype of more bits and higher sampling frequency, they still make a tube amp sound like a home stereo unit.  On the other hand, and surprisingly, analog effect boxes are sounding better every year.  Moreover, I have not heard any digital multi fx that can copy the sound of vintage effects from the 60s and 70s.
3) Distortion and overdrive still sound sucky compared to the best designed and manufactured analog distortion and overdrive.
4) Despite the so called flexibility in programming and one unit convenience, no digital multi fx effects unit invented as of today can claim to have ALL its effects as the best sounding.  Basically that means, along with the digital multi fx effects unit, you have to bring other effects along to supplement its weaknesses and most of the time they are analog.
5) Like your cellphone, they are easily made obsolete.
6) They do not have a high resale value.
7) They are hard to fix specially after a few years because their chips go out of production.
8. There is a loss of transparency and feel in your guitar.
9) Guys who use the same floor multi fx pedals sound the same.
10) They sound bad compared to the best analog chain made up of boutique analog effects.

P.S. I have a bunch of digital stomp boxes too -- the original Whammy, Boss DD2 and Boss DD3 and they sound great.  Used sparingly, they do not make your guitar sound like a stereo unit.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:44:01 AM by firemodel55 »

Online treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: GUITAR DIGITAL FLOOR MULTI EFFECTS (Why I don't Like Them)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
I guess you're expecting this response, Alex.

How do you feel about the newer generation of DSP-powered effects? I'm talking stuff along the line of Atomic, Kemper, Fractal, and higher-end Line 6 (Helix etc).

I'm sure there's a huge gap between your Digitech unit in '89 and a current generation unit like the AxeFx.
Offset guitars for life.

Online nicoyow

• Forum Fanatic
Re: GUITAR DIGITAL FLOOR MULTI EFFECTS (Why I don't Like Them)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »
^ ha! damn right! The technology already leaped way way too far from the said date by the TS.
 :mrgreen:

I used to have digital MFX (zoom GFX-8, Zoom G1) for almost 6 years. Then decided to switch to stomp boxes after a couple of months. The reason is, MFX updates are like cellphones. Every year, there's a new release or new model etc etc. Stomp boxes never goes out of trend, still sound better if you're into analog.
nood ng TV. usually nasa huling channels yun mga pampatayo ulit e. then, ihahanda ang sandata para sa round 2.