hulika

Author Topic: Growler/screamer vocalists = overrated.  (Read 29499 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Growler/screamer vocalists = overrated.
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2006, 05:31:19 AM »
growling is a specific aspect of metal that people can use to spice their singing style but it doesn't need to be the ONLY thing that they do. current newer heavy bands such as Sevendust, Killswitch Engage, Thornley, and Mudvayne can all growl pretty well but I've seen these guys live several times live and Lajon Witherspoon, Howard Jones, Ian Thornley and Chad Gray live can switch from metal growl to soulful in a heartbeat. now THAT shows how one can be considered a good singer - good range, good control of growling accents, and VERSATILITY. growling all the time is fine if you want to do that but you are going to get old pretty fast.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline C-D-F

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »
*Cough* Maynard James Keenan from Tool/APC *Cough* Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth *Cough*

Offline wickerz

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 03:49:17 PM »
Quote from: Santo Muerte
Quote from: toybitz
"pero ang nakakalungkot lang ay yung karamihan ng mga kabataan ngayon eh ang taas na ng tingin nila sa isang nu-metal vocalist porke't magaling lang mag-garalgal ng boses"

did you run a survey about vocalists and the "growlers" rated number one?

Naririnig ko lang sa mga usapan ng mga kabataan. Minsan naririnig ko "[apple] pare galing mag-growl ni _______" o kaya "Paano kaya mag-growl tulad ni _______". If only these kids were exposed to the "older" rock that we've grown up listening to then they won't give as much importance on growling/screaming compared to real singing. I sometimes pity the younger "rakistas" today.

para bang when you see a growler parang ang galing galing but sometimes the young ones di nmn nila talaga naiintidihan yung song....
they just base on the growler or screamer....
metal head rox.

Offline wickerz

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2006, 03:50:59 PM »
Quote from: sushiboy
i agree with santo, bakit naman ang Silverchair (Daniel Johns)? he is very skilled in singing and the way he writes songs, pero HINDI NA NYA KELANGANG UMALULONG.

now THAT.. is what i call great music.

tsaka some bands where categorized in metal but they don't need to scream or growl...
metal head rox.

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2006, 04:56:18 PM »
Quote from: C-D-F
*Cough* Maynard James Keenan from Tool/APC *Cough* Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth *Cough*

C-D-F, you need to do something with that coughing of yours  :lol:
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline Monochromatic Stains

• Netizen Level
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2006, 08:33:49 PM »
Quote from: C-D-F

C-D-F, you need to do something with that coughing of yours  :lol:

Yeah, that's totally like not healthy.  :roll:

Offline C-D-F

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2006, 03:01:29 AM »
^Yeah... my doctor said it's S.A.R.S.

Severe Absence of Romance and Sex

But yea, if you want the best of both worlds, Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth is really gifted in both growling and clean singing. Maynard, on the other hand is more on the screaming side and clean singing :D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2006, 03:46:23 PM »
yeah, i was about to say - Maynard is a clean singer, even with Perfect Circle.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2006, 06:57:11 AM »
Quote from: wickerz
i agree with santo, bakit naman ang Silverchair (Daniel Johns)? he is very skilled in singing and the way he writes songs, pero HINDI NA NYA KELANGANG UMALULONG.

tsaka some bands where categorized in metal but they don't need to scream or growl...

+1 sir!
Why hide the beauty of your song..........A song is not a song without the lyrics..............

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2006, 05:33:25 PM »
Quote from: emil_murillo
A song is not a song without the lyrics..............

what about instrumentals? and what about songs from artists such as beethoven and mozart? :P

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 07:36:50 AM »
Quote from: hello_apocalypse

what about instrumentals? and what about songs from artists such as beethoven and mozart? :P

Sir ang tagalog po ng "song"...........ay "kanta"........
Paano mo sir makakanta ang mga music na ginawa nila beethoven and mozart.........kung wala kang makakantang lyrics.........
Technically sir ang tawag po sa ginawa nila beethoven and mozart.........ay "Music"..........or "Classical Music"..........hindi "Song" o "Classical Song" by beethoven or mozart......

Mag search ka sir sa internet kung may makikita kang "classical song by mozart"................ But all that you can see is "classical music by mozart", etc. etc.

Music are composed without lyrics...............
Song are composed with music or melody...............

Kaya nga sir "Musical Composition".......at hindi "Song Composition".........kasi walang lyrics.

Musical Composition is different from Vocal or Choral Composition (or what we call "song").........

Ibig sabihin sir iba ang meaning ng Music at Song........tnx.

foxy lady

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2006, 07:46:03 AM »
Hehehe!!!.....................Hindi pa ba tinuturo sa high school yan!...... :lol: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »

Paano mo sir makakanta ang mga music na ginawa nila beethoven and mozart.........kung wala kang makakantang lyrics.........
Technically sir ang tawag po sa ginawa nila beethoven and mozart.........ay "Music"..........or "Classical Music"..........hindi "Song" o "Classical Song" by beethoven or mozart......

Mag search ka sir sa internet kung may makikita kang "classical song by mozart"................ But all that you can see is "classical music by mozart", etc. etc.

Kaya nga sir "Musical Composition".......at hindi "Song Composition".........kasi walang lyrics.

Musical Composition is different from Vocal or Choral Composition (or what we call "song").........

lol! did you burst a vein trying to answer my questions? anyway, i was just messing around, maaan... thanks for reminding me why i sometimes hate this forum... also, "song" can refer to any musical composition; with or without  lyrics. :P

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2006, 03:47:59 PM »

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2006, 06:56:30 AM »

lol! did you burst a vein trying to answer my questions? anyway, i was just messing around, maaan... thanks for reminding me why i sometimes hate this forum... also, "song" can refer to any musical composition; with or without  lyrics. :P

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Nah!............ Definitely not sir.........
What I am trying to point out here sir is that............ When you use growling in a song...............You are actually doing a scat or scat singing like in a jazz.................... That "beep badap bap bap ba dadap" thing-like-way of singing..............sounds cool though but still you cannot say it's a Vocal Composition................
And the term you used sir:
  • "song" can refer to any musical composition; with or without  lyrics.[/list:u]Is a common myth............. 8)  8)  8)
    You have the freewill though......... to say that mozart's music is a song but technically in musical terminology that is one pure mistake......... 8)  8)  8)

Offline Koran

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2006, 07:26:29 AM »
Hindi mo rin alam kung minumura ka na eh, or
Casting Voodoo spells on you (Hehehe Joke), what is the purpose then,
Hiding all the lyrics, eh sa una naman eh lyrics ang tinututukan
sa isang kanta, secondary na ang instrument, yan eh kung musician kang
Nakikinig.  Pero kung common listeners ka, lyrics ang una mong pakay.
Hindi ba kabastusan yun, kaya pag nakikinig ako ng banda na may growl
Pakiramdam ko minumura ako eh or instead of going out there in a bar
to enjoy my night, parang when i hear them playing on stage eh
My night turn into misery or creepy.

Just my personal opinion.  
I guess not everybody here want it creepy and miserable.

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2006, 04:21:43 PM »
Marami akong nakilalang death metal d2 sa marikina sir.........
According to them, growling gave them the chance to express their hatred on mainstream's sell-out-system.......... So parang pareho sa squealing voice ng mga punks and hardcore-punks.......... Expressing their freedom to be heard without going mainstream or sell-out........  8)

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2006, 05:25:31 PM »
According to them, growling gave them the chance to express their hatred on mainstream's sell-out-system.......... So parang pareho sa squealing voice ng mga punks and hardcore-punks.......... Expressing their freedom to be heard without going mainstream or sell-out........  8)

that's funny 'cause they're actually conforming to what's "mainstream" in the death metal scene then. :P

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2006, 04:59:32 AM »

that's funny 'cause they're actually conforming to what's "mainstream" in the death metal scene then. :P

Yun na nga sir!
Yung mga idolo nila at mga band influences eh sa mga record bars din nila nabili............ Sell-out din......... :?:  :wink:  :lol:

Offline Overbending1

• Philmusicus Noobitus
It depends
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2006, 01:06:59 AM »
Well, there are talented Growlers like Phil Anselmo (who can do both) and the classic metal Growlers that belong to Deathmetal and Thrash, or rooting from King Diamond and the like. True, that it takes more skill to sing, but there are noteworthy growlers out there. But if the growling you are referring to are your typical Kupaw/emo mainstream [gooey brown stuff], then that's another story.
making a guitar solo is similar to writing an essay; you start with words, which make up sentences, fragments, and paragraphs.  but what makes it cohesive is the story, the emotion, the style, the feel, and the passion to express oneself.

Offline wickerz

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2006, 12:56:58 PM »
Quote from: wickerz

+1 sir!
Why hide the beauty of your song..........A song is not a song without the lyrics..............

sino tinatawag mong sir?
metal head rox.

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2006, 06:09:02 AM »
Ah ok sorry.....

+1 ma'am......is it?

It is!............ :D ....... :cry:  8)  8)

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2006, 07:52:32 AM »
Growling is getting old. Like, look at Slapshock. Man, mahirap itago yung broken English under dessicated rap phrases and death-metal grunts. I don't know what's eating up kids these days, pero they seem to swallow this tripe in spades. It's hard to appreciate a song's lyrics if they're unintelligible to begin with.

For the growlers, I just wish they'd expand their vocal range and express blind rage with a more humane form of speech. Sure, maganda ang songs ninyo kasi puno ng angst at nakaka-alis ng frustration, pero siguro naman hindi lang puro ganun ang pwedeng isulat na kanta, or kung di naman, surely there's a better way to convey that anger to the listeners with more than just screams, grunts and chants.
soylent green is people.

Offline wickerz

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2006, 12:21:15 PM »
Ah ok sorry.....

+1 ma'am......is it?

It is!............ :D ....... :cry:  8)  8)

you got it right...... :D
metal head rox.

Offline Sei

• Netizen Level
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2006, 02:18:33 PM »
you can blow up your vessels by screaming you know? like.. whats his name in avenged sevenfold.. but i dont like screamers.. most screamers can be found on the emo scene.. which i hate.. i hate emo.. burn..

im on a cliff
 www.yahooka.com