hulika

Author Topic: NUT PROBLEMS, need help!  (Read 633 times)

Offline kuringmundo

NUT PROBLEMS, need help!
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:02:48 PM »
tanong lang mga sir, i just got a new telecaster. it was strung with 9s i think, but i changed it to 11s after a few days. i felt that it kind of killed the sustain of the guitar, na parang the nut was choking the thicker strings. so i decided to step down to 10s, which really felt right for me. problem was, the B string was kind of muted. the rest are ok, pero the b sounds terrible.

nut problem to diba? kase if i fret it at the first fret, bumabalik yung sustain.

sinuggest sakin na pa palitan ng bone nut kay elegee, but im reading din na graphtechs are cool too. ano mas ok kaya? i just want to have maximum sustain lang sana. any response will be appreciated
I am looking for a man, who calls himself.... BUCHO!

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
Re: NUT PROBLEMS, need help!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »
if the stock nut was originally slotted for gauge 9 set, it's most likely to be too narrow for higher string gauges. Have the slots filed wider (by Jon or kahit kaninong luthier) or replace it with a graphtech or bone nut slotted for your preferred gauge..  :-)
Yes, I'm no longer affiliated with TMS

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
tanong lang mga sir, i just got a new telecaster. it was strung with 9s i think, but i changed it to 11s after a few days. i felt that it kind of killed the sustain of the guitar, na parang the nut was choking the thicker strings. so i decided to step down to 10s, which really felt right for me. problem was, the B string was kind of muted. the rest are ok, pero the b sounds terrible.

nut problem to diba? kase if i fret it at the first fret, bumabalik yung sustain.

sinuggest sakin na pa palitan ng bone nut kay elegee, but im reading din na graphtechs are cool too. ano mas ok kaya? i just want to have maximum sustain lang sana. any response will be appreciated

Among other things that happen when you change string gauge and ergo string tension, is that your truss rod is now mistuned and your neck goes out of shape.

If the truss rod was adjusted for a tension given by 9's, putting on 10's or worse 11's will bow your neck more.

The truss rod is adjusted for the string tension you intend to use. So if you're really intending to use 11's, bring your fresh set of strings and your guitar to a luthier and let him set it up correctly for the proper gauge. Then, when that's done, stick to that string gauge. Otherwise, you might need to visit your luthier again.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 05:37:15 PM »

you mean open string parang muted? at pag 1st fret pressed ok na? afaik it may be is the nut width, na sinasakal ang string..
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones