hulika

Author Topic: Pardon me, but I noticed something...  (Read 2893 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pardon me, but I noticed something...
« on: October 08, 2008, 01:12:34 PM »
I just noticed that a lot of brass section recordings in some bands' albums sound so boxy, and quite frankly, dissonant and out of tune.  While I'm a total idiot to wind instruments on how to play them, is it possible to:

1.  Stay in tune during a performance, especially with a section?
2.  Record your instruments individually but live?  Or were you compelled to deal with a few mics?
3.  Make the instruments sound good in themselves?  Or are there really "bad-sounding" saxes, trombones, etc.?  May parang hierarchy rin ba ang brass instrument brands in terms of sound and quality?

Offline dingricon

Re: Pardon me, but I noticed something...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:39:25 PM »
Bro,
anong mga Band album ba yan? track number etc,
baka kc tama ka or kelangan lang ng panlinis sa tenga!!!
 :-D :-D :-D
wag magalit!!!

Offline santiago

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 01:36:06 PM »
I just noticed that a lot of brass section recordings in some bands' albums sound so boxy, and quite frankly, dissonant and out of tune.  While I'm a total idiot to wind instruments on how to play them, is it possible to:

2.  Record your instruments individually but live?  Or were you compelled to deal with a few mics?
3.  Make the instruments sound good in themselves?  Or are there really "bad-sounding" saxes, trombones, etc.?  May parang hierarchy rin ba ang brass instrument brands in terms of sound and quality?

aw shakit nakasama pa ang trombone..honga anung banda yan anung album at kanta? baka sugarfree yan with MSO na rockestra o wolfgang with philharmonic "CENTER OF THE SUN" o kaya mga di kilalang walang kwentang bandang na ayaw yumakap sa mainstream tulad namin? nakaw eh magtotono na nga kami eh may pumapansin pala  :-o AW!

"BAD to the T-bONE" Oi Oi Oi!!SKApitan Tiago
22h DIRECTOR
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrio-Morning-Glory/120363419514

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 06:26:43 AM »

hindi naman siguro out of tune pero ang probema nito is yung microphone kaya medyo boxy yung tunog pero out of tune hmm di naman siguro tama ba papa ced??? :-D
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline santiago

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
aw trulala fafi miko
"BAD to the T-bONE" Oi Oi Oi!!SKApitan Tiago
22h DIRECTOR
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrio-Morning-Glory/120363419514

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 11:30:39 AM »

Hi Dodgie.

1. The difficulty (I'm guessing) might be arising from the fact that orchestral players (and therefore, horn players who also play in an orchestra and/or symphonic band) have to deal with repertoire that requires them to tune at 442khz instead of the A=440 we're now more accustomed to.

2. For the most part, a succesful recording of a section would require the players to listen to each other, and so, recording them one by one might be a more difficult proposition.

3. Yes. There are bad instruments. And if you do get the chance to find out how 'barely functioning' the instruments that most of our wind players have to use, you'll realize how good most of our wind players are. :-)

By the way, perhaps the boxy sound is because in some recordings, the sound engineer points the mic directly at the bell of the instrument.

Hope this helps.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============