hulika

Author Topic: First Time Gear Buyer Questions Here!  (Read 229259 times)

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: First Time Gear Buyer Questions Here!
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2007, 02:37:59 PM »
and for the best cymbal deals go to jpmb  :mrgreen:

i got my sabian aax stage ride for less than musiciansfriend.com's price. partida, wala pa shipping yun at hindi old stock muhahaha

naku po..isinalang mo na naman ako pareng pao..hehehehe :wink:

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 02:50:10 PM »
i had a choice then between a pearl export and a maya kit priced at 22k and 7k respectively (10 years ago). i choose the maya kit coz its cheap. after 5 years, my maya kit has become more expensive than the pearl export due to hardware upgrades and replacements. lesson learned: hardware is more expensive than drums, invest in a drum kit with really good hardware. check the metal used on the lugs, tom holders and stands, some current offerings look like "plastic" and they dont last long esp. on those who over tighten screws and nuts. shiny chrome plating and heavyness are signs of good hardware. stock pedals suck, invest on a high end pedal once you get extra money. GET A DRUM THRONE <--- very very important

shells, birch would be a good starting point but the type of wood is not really important now because your budget will not get you better wood. phil mahogany and bass wood are the common ones used on shells. its ok hehehe i know guitar players hate those woods. just check for ply separation and dents on the edge. finally inspect the finish.

drum sizes, for beginners, it would be really helpful to get those "fusion" sized kits usually configured with 10,12,14 toms and a 20 bass drum. these sizes are easy to tune and easier position for maximum playing comfort since the user would be a kid. standard drums with 12,13,16 toms and a 22 bass drum are ok too but it would be very difficult for beginners to tune the 16" tom.

drum heads - they dont matter, anything will do. you WILL replace them later on so there's no point in looking for something better from the start.

cymbals - go high end from the start, you cant upgrade the sound of cymbal. buy something mediocre and it will be mediocre sounding forever. you dont have to get all cymbals at once. chances are, there is a cymbal pack included so start with what's missing and then replace them one by one later. high end cymbals have good resale value, that's if the drummer decides to quit.

oh my god. finally.thank you sir ng madami. i will put all of these into consideration when buying a kit. ACtually ive used a gretsh fusion kit, not only its good for kids coz its kind of small, but i think it can improve your accuraccy.

again thanks

PS. basswood for guitars are not that bad but we guitarist try to stay away from it. hahahah
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline jeva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2007, 07:01:47 PM »
i had a choice then between a pearl export and a maya kit priced at 22k and 7k respectively (10 years ago). i choose the maya kit coz its cheap. after 5 years, my maya kit has become more expensive than the pearl export due to hardware upgrades and replacements. lesson learned: hardware is more expensive than drums, invest in a drum kit with really good hardware. check the metal used on the lugs, tom holders and stands, some current offerings look like "plastic" and they dont last long esp. on those who over tighten screws and nuts. shiny chrome plating and heavyness are signs of good hardware. stock pedals suck, invest on a high end pedal once you get extra money. GET A DRUM THRONE <--- very very important

drum heads - they dont matter, anything will do. you WILL replace them later on so there's no point in looking for something better from the start.

cymbals - go high end from the start, you cant upgrade the sound of cymbal. buy something mediocre and it will be mediocre sounding forever. you dont have to get all cymbals at once. chances are, there is a cymbal pack included so start with what's missing and then replace them one by one later. high end cymbals have good resale value, that's if the drummer decides to quit.

Exactly what I did. I have very limited knowledge about hardwares then. I suddenly saw this ad for a pearl export. It was old, roughly early to mid 90's.. lugs are with corners and some sort of long connector between a pair of lugs... though rusted and beaten, I could say the hardware is superb. only a pair of lugs were replaced, and that was even before I got the kit.

I started knowing about the cymbals. 14" HH Dark crash was the first. I tried using it as top hat of a new Pearl cymbal hat came along with the old kit. (my guess is that the previous owner got a new Pearl kit). Then got a very good ride, then Hats, Then Evo crash and splash then a china recently...

It really is worth to wait for a good cymbals... believe Peeves, he knows it well.. bout the cymbals, as JPMB... he will give you a good deal and make sure that you get what you want and deserve..

Good luck....

Offline zound_tech

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2007, 09:42:40 PM »
yung pearl export po namin sa church 10 years na,
maayos pa po yung mga hardware,
pero mas maganda sana kung naalagaan nung drummer na pinalitan ko,
ma-alikabok kc sa lugar namin,
wala namang bintana,
pero alam ko po mura yun at maganda,
tingin ko nga po tatagal pa yun ng another 10years...  :-)

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2007, 03:17:05 PM »
i am a proud owner of a pearl export 1996 and 2003 models set..this sets are still alive and still handling the heavy pounding i give to them hahahaha :wink:

Offline Bats

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2007, 04:16:43 PM »
Ey guys! I'm new here. I'm planning to buy a drum set tho wala ako masyado alam sa ganito like yun parts niya, sizes, specs and so on.

I have some questions po sana matulungan niyo ako.

-Ok po ba ang Gretsch na drums? Sa quality niya? Ano pinagkaiba neto sa ibang leading brands ng drums   like yun Pearl? I've heard of this kasi and sabi nila ok daw to.

-Ano mas ok sa Catalina Maple and Ash?

-Anong other option pa ba ang malapet na ren sa Gretsh? Fernando, Sonor or iba pa?

-And lastly, sa mga natanong kong packages ang cymbals daw na kasama eh yun Zildjian Planet Z 4 pc. Is this set of cymbals ok?

- any tips pa po? ano ba dapat ko malaman when buying a set?

Bale gagamitin ko lng yun set indoors tho gs2 ko na rin sanang set eh yun mailalabas mo na rin for ocassional shows/gigs. And as much as possible eh yung tatagal talaga na set kase I don't have intentions of buying me a second set. Tama na ang isa kaya gs2 ko lahat andon na sa bibilin ko. ü

Oh of this one counts na ren, I'm planning to learn jazz style of drum playing.

I'm really sorry for the noobie questions.

Thanks much!

Offline wax_static

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2007, 06:27:45 PM »
try ko lang makatulong.. hehehe

Ey guys! I'm new here. I'm planning to buy a drum set tho wala ako masyado alam sa ganito like yun parts niya, sizes, specs and so on.

I have some questions po sana matulungan niyo ako.

-Ok po ba ang Gretsch na drums? Sa quality niya? Ano pinagkaiba neto sa ibang leading brands ng drums   like yun Pearl? I've heard of this kasi and sabi nila ok daw to.

-Ano mas ok sa Catalina Maple and Ash?
For me, Maple...

-Anong other option pa ba ang malapet na ren sa Gretsh? Fernando, Sonor or iba pa?
Depende sa model ng Sonor, ok yung mga bago na Fernando(sulit na sulit :D )

-And lastly, sa mga natanong kong packages ang cymbals daw na kasama eh yun Zildjian Planet Z 4 pc. Is this set of cymbals ok?
Invest in good cymbals na.... dami sa classifieds... hanggang ngayon nanghihinayang pa ko dun sa set ng AAX for 15K :cry: :cry: :cry:

- any tips pa po? ano ba dapat ko malaman when buying a set?
If you're unsure you're personal judgement... better bring along someone you trust that knows a thing or two about drums :D
pero pointers... yung madaling ma notice:
hardware... if its heavy.. probably.. ok yun.. i think :wink: except pedal.. hehehe
check the shells, look for smooth, clean?, no deformities...
try the kit...

Bale gagamitin ko lng yun set indoors tho gs2 ko na rin sanang set eh yun mailalabas mo na rin for ocassional shows/gigs. And as much as possible eh yung tatagal talaga na set kase I don't have intentions of buying me a second set. Tama na ang isa kaya gs2 ko lahat andon na sa bibilin ko. ü

Gretsch Maple, Pearl Export Series or better yet you're gonna learn jazz pala... get the sizes appropriate for Jazz... yun lang po...

Oh of this one counts na ren, I'm planning to learn jazz style of drum playing.

I'm really sorry for the noobie questions.

Thanks much!

Offline matteotanga

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2007, 06:34:11 PM »
siguro sa kit ung new fernando and sa cymbals B8 will do and sa hardwer siguro sa clasifyd tingin ka para medyo mura.....gud luck bro sama ka sa mga EB dami ka matututunan....ako nag tuturo dun eh! joke joke joke!!!!! :-D
Steady lang..

Offline sjon014

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2007, 06:58:06 PM »
It all depends on your budget, but you can't go wrong with the Gretsch Catalinas. Sonor Forces (Yung 2005 and 3005) are good too. But if buying these expensive sets mean you'll settle for the Z4 Cymbals, then reconsider muna. Z4 = Planet Z, the brass low-end cymbals of Zildjian. These don't really sound good at all.

It would be better to buy a cheaper set like Fernando (yung 28k na Marine Celluloid White!) so you can invest on better cymbals. Another alternative would be to wait for ads sa forums, so you can still buy better brands na second hand, and you can do this for your cymbals as well.

Um... Ano pa? Fusion setup siguro instead of the standard Rock setup would be good for Jazz drumming.
Pinoydrums Lanyard - North distribution THIS SUNDAY, 2PM, TMS Alimall!
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,148425.msg1983008.html#msg1983008

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2007, 01:11:10 AM »
Punta ka PIER

may TAMA dun na starclassic yata for 18k
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline Bats

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2007, 10:59:17 PM »
Thanks much sa reply guys.

just wanna know how bad yung Planet Z? di ba tatagal to? what about yun ZBT na cymbals?

sa ngayon eh balak na talaga namen is to go for the Gretsh Catalinas pero nagaalinlangan na kame coz sa comments nyo sa cymbals baka mag sisi kami. Pwede daw namen baguhin ng ZBT cymbals are those any good? Kaso ang laki ng dagdag >.<

@ edgeofillusion-jepoy - thanks are TAMA drums ok? san gawa yan?

@ sjon014 - salamat dude, panu yun fusion setup? and ok ba Fernando? Local to dba? Sabe nla di daw maganda yun pero ok b yun new sets nla?

@ matteotanga - dude thanks..kaw pala nag 22ro? 2ruan mo ko pag makasama ako ha! :D

@ wax_static - ey man salamat sinagut mo pa talaga isa isa yun tanongs ko. anyways, anu b ang sized appropriate for jazz like you said? Mas trip ko na rin ata yun maple pero mas costly siya!

Thanks again guys!

Offline sjon014

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2007, 11:22:50 PM »
I think believe Fusion is the 10", 12", and 14" toms (all hanging), instead of the usual 12", 13", and 16" tom rock setup. Better uniformity when running down the toms, and the 14" tom is much easier to tune in my opinion than the 16".

The old fernando's were not really good... pero ito ang bagong Fernando!

Great diba? As for ZBT's... they are better than Planet Z syempre, pero I still would suggest you get cast bronze cymbals if your budget permits. Or unti-untiin mo.

Pinoydrums Lanyard - North distribution THIS SUNDAY, 2PM, TMS Alimall!
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,148425.msg1983008.html#msg1983008

Offline bolong

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2007, 11:37:59 AM »
newbie po. di ko alam kung meron ng ganitong topic. balak ko kasi bumili ng drumset. meron na akong gitara. ngayon naman e trip ko matutong mag drums naman. kaya shopping around for that 'perfect' drums.

eto po gusto ko malaman:

1) brand
2) local or hindi
3) price range
4) some feedback on the item (what to look out for)

padagdag na rin po kung ano ang mga advice nyo kung ano pa kelangan malaman ng isang gustong bumili ng drum set e.g. by piece ba ok o dapat buong set na?

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2007, 12:46:27 PM »
Warm welcome to Pinoydrums bolong  :lol:

all your questions will depend on one thing..your budget :wink:

give us a price mark and we will better to answer your queries..
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2007, 12:55:27 PM »
You can never find the "perfect" drumset hangga't may nagmamanufacture pa ng mga bagong models, pero you can get the next best thing.

Pearl has this custom line of drumset na ikaw mismo pipili ng wood, size, even color. now how's that for perfection. Expect mo rin na may kamahalan ang price.

Pero if you want customization, contact peeves. heheeh, da best yan....

Pero if you really are a newbie on drums, and on a tight budget ka, fernando kits are great for starter kits. Yung bago ha, hindi yung luma.

OT - A musician's advice: Find the instrument that you truly feel in your heart, hindi  porke marunong ka na sa isang gamit, and you'd like that instrument, lipat ka dun. No, kung ano talaga ang nasa puso mo, yun ang gamitin mo, improve, be one of the best. I know i have found mine in drumming, dami nagco-comment sa akin, balik ka na lang ng keyboard dahil yun ang kinalakihan mo. I answer back, I get my orgasms during gigs in drumming  8-)
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuña Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline bolong

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2007, 12:56:50 PM »
siguro po mga 12-20k lang po budget ko. estudyante lang po kasi ako e!

Offline bolong

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2007, 01:05:42 PM »
wow! astig pala mag join dito! feeling ko very welcome ako! and looks like everyone's very helpful! ty po!

sa brand new fernando set po, magkano po ang price? and saan po kung sakali maganda mag shop for 1?

Offline alvin_11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2007, 01:43:45 PM »
wow! astig pala mag join dito! feeling ko very welcome ako! and looks like everyone's very helpful! ty po!

sa brand new fernando set po, magkano po ang price? and saan po kung sakali maganda mag shop for 1?

sa raon bro..pero kung 12-20k naman ang budget mo, mag sonor kana! sa metrotech 17k lang yun..bagong bago pa! hindi ko lang alam kung anung model pero ang alam ko wala pang cymbals yun..dagdag ka lang po ng 4k sa budget para SUKLI+4k=PLANET Z! :lol: pero kung fernando nman po ang hanap mo, i think mas maganda kung sa jb ka nalang po bibili..
alvin.

Offline bolong

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2007, 03:18:40 PM »

Pearl?

Fernando?

Sonor?

Kasi po newbie lang po ako at gusto ko pong makahanap ng drumset...

Offline autoexec

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2007, 05:20:11 PM »
oo, kung fernando sa JB nlang..

Offline bolong

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2007, 07:41:01 PM »
cheapest model ata costs 20k. ayos na ba yun? may nakapagsabi din kasi na baka pag mura o low-end kukunin e magmumura ka rin later sa problem mo e.g. loose thread,...

Offline alvin_11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2007, 07:52:22 PM »
sir, mas maganda po kung mag sonor nalang po kayo. mas madali po kayung matututo kapag mas maganda ang mga gamit. i think sonor 505 ata yung 17k dun sa raon pero pwedeng pwede pa po tawaran. tapos yung sukli dagdagan niyo nalang po ng mga 2-3k may planet Z na po kayo. Decent na po pang practice. sulit pa po yung sonor kasi Remo na po lahat ng skins nun and yung mga hardware talagang durable. ayus din naman po yung fernando kaya lang 20k vs. 17k? wow.. i think mas maganda po ang sonor. opinion and advice lang po.. :-D
alvin.

Offline bolong

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2007, 08:33:39 PM »
based sa experience ba ang suggestion mo? so parehas lang sonor at fernando? yung 17k ba e sa raon lang? kasi balak ko jb kasi pwede i 0%(???)

Offline bolong

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2007, 08:45:56 PM »
              eto po ba yung sinasabi nyo???

SONOR SPECIAL EDITION 505 STAGE SET

Sonor Special Edition Series "Stage Set", based of the Sonor 505 Series, Color: Black, Covered Shells, 50 Year Anniversary Thomann Drum Set, Sonor Special Edition Badge, containing: 22"x17" Bass Drum, 14"x 5 1/2" Wood Snare Drum, 12"x09" - 13"x10" Tom Toms, 16"x16" Floor Tom, included 5-piece Hardware Set containing: Straight Cymbalstand. Boom Cymbalstand, Hi-Hat Stand, Snare Drum Stand, Bass Drum Pedal, included Drummer Throne, included "Cast Version" Cymbalset containing 14" Hi-Hat, 16" Crash, 20 Ride, included Cymbal Bag  :| :|

Offline bolong

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2007, 08:54:21 PM »