hulika

Author Topic: DIGITAL PAINTING / 3D GRAPHIC DESIGNS / DIGITAL ARTS / PHOTOSHOP  (Read 89368 times)

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: DIGITAL PAINTING / 3D GRAPHIC DESIGNS / DIGITAL ARTS / PHOTOSHOP
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
thanks sir. as much as i want to, however i left painting ten years ago, that was 2001 when i was a first year college student. im no fine art student too, im a biologist. i just like to draw. but you are right to say i must maintain it, traditional is different from digital in many aspects. however, i do not see myself anymore holding brushes and mixing paints. it's alot faster and more practical to do it in digital.

Anyone can do digital.  Though the skill is there, there is more intrinsic value to ACTUAL art done on canvas and paper.  If you don't have a computer, can you still do art?
X2M Coffee Moment: Did want You

New Manila Sound

Offline lordofPRS

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »
Anyone can do digital.  Though the skill is there, there is more intrinsic value to ACTUAL art done on canvas and paper.  If you don't have a computer, can you still do art?

i beg to disagree that anyone can do digital. actually there are artists who are good in traditional but can't paint digitally. i know artists who really cant use graphics tablet and photoshop. everybody can try painting but not everybody can be successful.

Choosing between digital and traditional really depends on your purpose. if you are into graphic novels, movies and graphics design; you would not choose traditional nowadays of course. but if you are type of museum/gallery/framed-paintings on walls/ person, of course you must do traditional. you cant hang digital paintings on museum walls.

regarding the intrinsic value,  i think it is not right to say that traditional has more because both requires skills and talent. both produce artworks that come from the artist's heart and mind. that's the intrinsic value, the artist itself; not the paint, not the canvass, not the digital file, they are just media. noone can underestimate digital painting because it requires skills too. moreover, there are genres/scenes/ that are more appropriate to portray in digital than traditional. let's say "robot fight scene", or "futuristic space war" these subjects are better drawn on digital than traditional canvass.

i admit that having a background in traditional really helps alot when somebody turns to digital.

my point is -  artwork, no matter how somebody produced it, must be given credits that it deserve
“it’s not about what material or tool you use, it’s what you do with it.”

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
i beg to disagree that anyone can do digital. actually there are artists who are good in traditional but can't paint digitally. i know artists who really cant use graphics tablet and photoshop. everybody can try painting but not everybody can be successful.

I said "anyone," not everyone.  Anyone who decides to do digital CAN do digital.

With enough training and exposure, they can.  Personally, I can't "paint," but, since I sketch with pencil, I use that technique to paint digitally.

Choosing between digital and traditional really depends on your purpose. if you are into graphic novels, movies and graphics design; you would not choose traditional nowadays of course. but if you are type of museum/gallery/framed-paintings on walls/ person, of course you must do traditional. you cant hang digital paintings on museum walls.

I disagree.  The basics are still essential training even to those who are taking up multimedia.  It's not a matter of wanting to hang actual paintings on the wall.

regarding the intrinsic value,  i think it is not right to say that traditional has more because both requires skills and talent. both produce artworks that come from the artist's heart and mind. that's the intrinsic value, the artist itself; not the paint, not the canvass, not the digital file, they are just media. noone can underestimate digital painting because it requires skills too. moreover, there are genres/scenes/ that are more appropriate to portray in digital than traditional. let's say "robot fight scene", or "futuristic space war" these subjects are better drawn on digital than traditional canvass.

We skate a thin line between what is actually art when it comes to digital.  Heck, we skate a thin line to what is art in the REAL world.  As I mentioned, there is the skill involved, but, what would that skill be if one doesn't have a computer?

i admit that having a background in traditional really helps alot when somebody turns to digital.

Agreed.

my point is -  artwork, no matter how somebody produced it, must be given credits that it deserve

I'm not discounting your skill.  But, like I said, where is your art when there is no computer?

New Manila Sound

Offline lordofPRS

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »

But, like I said, where is your art when there is no computer?

why are you putting me in a place like this? Will there be any EMP (electromagnetic pulse) that will cook every electronic device?
but to answer that question, my artworks will be hung on galleries and museum walls instead. that's it. haha just kidding.

the above question is a pretty senseless question because i think everybody knows the answer. it is simple, if there is no computer there is no digital art. everybody knows it. everybody expects the consequences and they know for sure what to do.

for the sake of argument. if there will be no computers... so what? why should i bother myself thinking what to do if there will be no computers? anyways, i just do digital painting for fun. i dont do this for living. if i want to create art again, i can go back to traditional and that wont be a problem for me because the basic skills are innate. it's like biking, once you had it, it wont go away.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:07:21 PM by lordofPRS »

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2011, 11:36:27 PM »
It's not a matter of having no computers.  A computer is a tool.  Without it, you have no "art." Without it, you won't have a hobby.  Your art is nothing more but 1s and 0s.  Sure, you can print it, but your print has NO INTRINSIC value whatsoever except for the paper it is printed on and how it was printed.

Whereas, with a pencil, pen, ink, paint and paper, canvas or even a blank wall, you can always do art so as long as you have the drive to do it.  It is rather wrong that you don't have the drive to "create" without REAL tools.

Again, I don't doubt your skill with a tablet, can you do the same with a mouse?

See, it's bad reasoning that make people lose their faith in their ACTUAL skill.  I suspect, you are rather weak on actual media, and you have seen how easy it is on the computer.

New Manila Sound

Offline lordofPRS

« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »
Again, I don't doubt your skill with a tablet, can you do the same with a mouse?
very different. there are almost 90% functions of a tablet that cannot be done with a mouse. pen pressure: opacity, flow, angle... jitters. fast erasing, configured buttons... those things.  plenty.

I suspect, you are rather weak on actual media, and you have seen how easy it is on the computer.
you are entitled to your opinion and i cant really argue about it, but to doubt my skills based on that is being narrow. more often than not, it is easier for those who have a background in painting to do digital painting painting because of the their foundations. i think other traditional artists who have turned to digital would agree also that digital is alot more flexible and easier because it gives you more freedom and practicality. but that doesnt mean that if somebody finds digital painting easier he is weak on the actual media. you have no idea what kind of artworks i made before. you havent seen my traditional works. and it is unfair to judge a skill without seeing the produce. i suspect you are a frustrated digital artist, and you are bitter to those you really can do digital painting. how about that?
[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:52:53 AM by lordofPRS »

Offline lordofPRS

« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »
It's not a matter of having no computers.  A computer is a tool.  Without it, you have no "art." Without it, you won't have a hobby.  Your art is nothing more but 1s and 0s.  Sure, you can print it, but your print has NO INTRINSIC value whatsoever except for the paper it is printed on and how it was printed.

i really do not care. NO INTRINSIC value because there is no ink and canvass? digital arts are made that way. you do not have to preach it. digital arts are not meant for that. these things you are telling us are understood and given already. you do not have to say it . now the world is divided into two, traditional artists and digital artists. you really need to understand things the way they are. if you say digital arts are just 1s and 0s, you are correct. that doesnt make them not real or not actual arts. you dont need to elaborate these things. you are saying things that we know already and making a problem out of it. there is no problem with digital arts having no intrinsic value. the problem is in your mind and in the way you see digital arts
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:18:48 AM by lordofPRS »

Offline manaeater

• Veteran Member
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »
Meron ba kayong alam na mga nagtuturo ng 3d modeling and animation for Maya or 3ds Max?  :-D
Clothing line is now up! visit us at www.civvielizeclothing.com and
civvielizeclothing.multiply.com
 Food Blog @ www.betweenthehungryandme.tk

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
very different. there are almost 90% functions of a tablet that cannot be done with a mouse. pen pressure: opacity, flow, angle... jitters. fast erasing, configured buttons... those things.  plenty.

Sure.  But that's the challenge.  The pen made it EASY for you things you can't do with actual paint and canvas, so, is that real skill?  Without the pen, can you do those things?

I can "paint" with a mouse.

you are entitled to your opinion and i cant really argue about it, but to doubt my skills based on that is being narrow. more often than not, it is easier for those who have a background in painting to do digital painting painting because of the their foundations. i think other traditional artists who have turned to digital would agree also that digital is alot more flexible and easier because it gives you more freedom and practicality. but that doesnt mean that if somebody finds digital painting easier he is weak on the actual media. you have no idea what kind of artworks i made before. you havent seen my traditional works. and it is unfair to judge a skill without seeing the produce.

Not really an unfair assessment, unless of course you show REAL skills by posting ACTUAL painted works or sketches.  Freedom is the usual excuse of people who love digital painting because it allows them to CHEAT.  It allows them to hide their weaknesses in real art.  As far as your reactions go, I doubt you have any actual skill in ACTUAL REAL art, or even if you do, is quite limited.  Digital art is easy to do after all.  When one makes a mistake, all one has to do is "undo" or use Photoshop's "history."

You can't do that for real, can you?

I suspect you are a frustrated digital artist, and you are bitter to those you really can do digital painting. how about that?

Wrong.  I was one of the people who pioneered and championed digital art and digital layouts here in the Philippines, and has been a regular resource speaker at Graphic Expo.  I'm one of the few who afforded those early expensive wacom tablets.  I can make "art" in both vector and pixels.  I was one of the few "pixel pushers" back then who started digitally coloring comic books, and enhancing those colored on paper.  I have worked on Gerry Alanguilan's Wasted and Arnold Arre's Batch 72, as well as the "Lost" trilogy.

You see, the reason why I urge people to go back to the basics is because it's actually there where skills can truly be valued.  It's seems I am correct with mine assessment of yours.  Again, I don't discount your skill with the wacom, but, you need to go back to reality and learn how to really draw.  IT is you who are frustrated as an artist, but digital allowed you to do things you can't for real.

There's nothing wrong with that, except, like I said, without a computer, you have no art.

New Manila Sound

Offline arpeggiosfromheaven

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »
talaga sir mouse lang gamit nyo dito, galing nyo naman., :-)

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2011, 01:42:45 PM »
talaga sir mouse lang gamit nyo dito, galing nyo naman., :-)

It's easier with the wacom because of the sensitivity controls, but, with patience and technique, anything one can do with a tablet can also be done with the mouse.

ANYONE with the drive to do digital CAN do digital, regardless of art background, but, those with traditional skills often do better because they understand the basics.

New Manila Sound

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
It's easier with the wacom because of the sensitivity controls, but, with patience and technique, anything one can do with a tablet can also be done with the mouse.

ANYONE with the drive to do digital CAN do digital, regardless of art background, but, those with traditional skills often do better because they understand the basics.

+1

Online rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »
I can use the mouse very well than the wacom tablet.. so I beleieve nasa tao yan so when im comfortable using the mouse then hell with the tablet I will use the mouse.. I sold my wacom tablet as it gathers dust than having its purpose..

Heck I can even draw using my Macbook's touch/track pad..

But the tablet is created to serve s purpose of making sketching and drawing easier for artists.. right now I use solely my fingers sketching in Autodesk Sketchbook Pro.. but sometimes still use a proprietary stylus for extra details..
imma badass!! <funky guitar rift>

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »
I can use the mouse very well than the wacom tablet.. so I beleieve nasa tao yan so when im comfortable using the mouse then hell with the tablet I will use the mouse.. I sold my wacom tablet as it gathers dust than having its purpose..

Heck I can even draw using my Macbook's touch/track pad..

But the tablet is created to serve s purpose of making sketching and drawing easier for artists.. right now I use solely my fingers sketching in Autodesk Sketchbook Pro.. but sometimes still use a proprietary stylus for extra details..

A tool is a tool.  It's up to the individual to maximize it, instead of be limited by it...

New Manila Sound

Online rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2011, 12:57:21 AM »
A tool is a tool.  It's up to the individual to maximize it, instead of be limited by it...

well thats true.. there are several times I tried to to get used at using the wacom tablet (for the sole purpose of saying im using it and because its the "trend") but realized im much faster using the mouse.. so I ditched my tablet and settled for the good ol mickey..

another thing is photoshop.. I almost got into an argument with one of my officemate because she kept telling me why do I use photoshop in creating iOS and Android icons when the standard tool is illustrator.. well I said im far more comfortable using photoshop than illustrator.. plain and simple.. in illustrator its slows me down..

I dont give a big mierde about "specific tools for this or that" if I can do all of it using just one tool in a short time why will I limit myself?

funny I have been into a lot of arguments with fellow designers because of my "way" and "technique".. 

Offline lordofPRS

« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2011, 06:47:59 AM »
@matanglawin, nakakapagod ka kausap. ito lang masasabi ko sayo gawin mo kung ano gusto mo at wala kang pakealam sa art ko. im here to show my art not to discuss and argue between traditional and digital. KEEP YOU OPINIONS DUDE. IM NOT BUYING YOUR NARROW OPINIONS ABOUT ART. BASED ON WHAT YOU'VE POSTED, I CAN SEE THAT I AM BETTER THAN YOU. YOU ARTWORKS LOOK SO ARTIFICIAL AND DIGITALLY CREATED, THAT'S THE PROBLEM WHEN YOU USE A MOUSE, IT CANT MIMIC REAL BRUSHES BECAUSE OF ITS LIMITATIONS. YOU ARE STUCK USING A MOUSE BECAUSE YOU REALLY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO MAXIMIZE THE USE OF WACOM TABLETS BECAUSE YOU REALLY CANNOT PAINT! I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE ANYMORE TIME TALKING TO SOMEBODY WHO IS ARTISTICALLY INFERIOR. IM NOT PLEASED WITH YOUR CLOSED AND NARROW OPINIONS. IM REALLY NOT LEARNING ANYTHING FROM YOUR ARGUMENTS. IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD BE MORE INSPIRATIONAL THAN BOASTFUL AND MAD. IF YOU WANT TO LEARN FROM ME, IM WILLING TO TEACH YOU REAL ART FOR FREE!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:03:17 AM by lordofPRS »

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2011, 07:35:14 AM »
My artwork were MEANT to look digital, but If I really work on it, I can make it look real.  Thing is, I can verily say the same with YOURS.  Halatang digital ang gawa mo on the getgo.  If I didn't indicate that those artwork were digital, especially the woodwork, you wouldn't even think it's digital.

See, I wasn't discouraging you after all.  In fact, I was encouraging you to practice traditional media because you're WEAK at it.  If you didn't LEARN that, it's because you now have a closed mind and have embraced digital as your only medium.  It is you who have a narrow opinion because you reject traditional media.  You yourself said you're skills are limited by the tool you use (you can't do mouse art), hence you prefer the wacom and digital.

Like "digital phot0graphers" whom I often hear the excuse "we'll fix it in photoshop," you rely too much on a virtual medium.  You may seem to create nice art, but, again, at the end of the day, when the computer is not on, WHERE IS YOUR ART?

New Manila Sound

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
IF YOU WANT TO LEARN FROM ME, IM WILLING TO TEACH YOU REAL ART FOR FREE!

I teach REAL art, and I get paid.  Also, how do you even presume to teach me something you have learned indirectly from people like me who developed the techniques to begin with?

As for boasting, you should practice more.  Depth and composition-wise, your rendering still look FLAT.  Might as well stick with pop art.

New Manila Sound

Offline lordofPRS

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »
I teach REAL art, and I get paid.  Also, how do you even presume to teach me something you have learned indirectly from people like me who developed the techniques to begin with?

As for boasting, you should practice more.  Depth and composition-wise, your rendering still look FLAT.  Might as well stick with pop art.

ikaw na! haha. galing mo tol. ikaw na ang maraming alam. bilib na ako sa'yo. fan mo na nga ako eh. salamat nga pala dun sa mga natutunan ko sa mga katulad mong magaling na artist. ano nga pala yung dinevelop mong technique?

do not worry i am practicing as hard as i can so that i can inspire more beginning artists like me. i am 2 months old lang pala sa digital painting kaya di pa ako ganung kagaling kagaya mo.

good luck na lang sa endeavor. baka may wacom kang di na ginagamit at naaalikabukan na lang, pwedeng bilin ko na lang para di sayang. o kaya palitan ko ng maraming mouse... since marami MICE.

nagtweet nga pala sina pareng Amorsolo at Picasso, mas kewl daw ang digital arts.

peace!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:37:27 AM by lordofPRS »

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2011, 11:10:45 AM »
magaling naman kayo parehas sir.

walang away. Mga sir. :-)

Offline lordofPRS

« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
magaling naman kayo parehas sir.

walang away. Mga sir. :-)

you're right. arpeggios. :) cheers and peace matanglawin!

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
you're right. arpeggios. :) cheers and peace matanglawin!

share lang natin mga art at creativity. no fight. :D

Online rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »

I somewhat agree on this..

My uncle, animator who onced work at the Philippine Animation Studios told me that a group of young bright and skilled "Flash Animators" are having a hard time animating a "snapping ribbon" fluidly.. because there is this scene where a runner/sprinter wins the race by snapping the ribbon first.

He did it by doing it traditionally (frame by frame) and translated it to something like GIF animation rather than using "tween" animation.. it was from paper first before digitally porting it.. it was done in no time.

that is the importance of knowing the basics first before jumping into the advanced.. you sometimes miss the important ones. my uncle was a traditional animator since before jumping to digital.. unlike the digital animators of today who started doing digital without even starting traditionally.

He was my mentor and he worked on lots of stuffs we can see before and today (Aladdin Animated Series, Coco Crunch Commercials and recently the Nissin Cup Noodles Animated Commercial)

Offline lordofPRS

« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2011, 06:21:54 PM »
THE JOKER
Speed Painting (2-3 hours)
Adobe Photoshop CS2 + WACOM INTUOS 2

not yet done. will post the finished artwork soon