hulika

Author Topic: MultiEffects Unit Thread  (Read 134390 times)

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
MultiEffects Unit Thread
« on: August 11, 2007, 12:18:22 AM »
We all know that Stomp Boxes are great! they are worth the investment...

BUT!?!?!?! what if u cant afford them all, even the amps or cabs

all u got is a guitar and a crappy amp...

We resort to AMP/PEDAL MODELING right?

Would you Go for the LINE6 PODXT Live

Or the
BOSS GT-8

VOX Tonelab SE and LE version

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 09:46:10 AM by tam_guitar »
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: MultiEffects Unit Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 12:34:08 AM »
Well, I for one did not "resort" to modelers. I was already well on my way to completing my pedalboard and getting a better tube amp than what I had at the time. Maybe one day I'll get back to that, but I sure as hell won't be need to in the foreseeable future.

I sort of miss how easy it is to tweak pedals on the fly. But the Korg AX3000G already has everything I could possibly need in a pedalboard, and then some.

As an added bonus, giving up the quest for THE analog tone allowed me upgrades for my PC and replace my aging car.

But of course, in jam sessions where all that matters is distortion, I still have my DIY pedals.

Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 01:10:15 AM »
Uhh.. bos gt8 kasi mas mahal at mas madaming buttons?  :-D hehe sumisingit lang po..

Kung distortion modelling ang habol mo any of the two ok yan, pero yung Boss kasi may dual modeling processors yan so in short, mas mabilis mag process. Di ko lang sigurado sa bilis ng patch change kasi narinig ko lang yung tunog nung gadgets, di pa ako nakaka gamit. Anyway yun naman Line6 best selling ng musiciansfriend. Yung actual kasi na narinig ko puro OD at Dist gamit and so far na-impress naman ako sa dalawang gadgets.

Yung AX3000G din gusto ko yung tunog ng modulations nun, kaso yun nga lang di ko sigurado kung na-customize na yung presets nung ka-jam ko kasi mejo malabo or matalas yung mga OD at distortions (btw this was running on a fender chorus, the 65 watt amp, yung g9.2tt ko naka ibanez 15w lang pero malufet daw sabi nung mga ka-jam ko, hindi yung tumutugtog, yung FX  :-D)..

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 06:54:16 AM »
Pag matalas or whatnot ang tunog nung AX3000G, most likely, may sablay sa timpla. Or baka yun talaga gusto nung kasama mo.

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 08:06:02 AM »
i'd choose either korg ax1500 or a zoom g7

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 08:11:50 AM »
The only thing that's keeping me from using multi-effects in a gigging scenario would be the patch changing lag/silence/"sinok" when I engage a new patch or trigger a new effect module (if the unit has a manual mode). As far as sound is concerned, they've already gone to a point that they're not just usable. Some of them can be quite fantastic, at least for the music I play.

How does the GT8 or GT6 fare in this aspect? The new G9.2tt/G7.1ut? Al, you seem to have a lot of experience with MFX, so perhaps you can share a tip  that can be used to work around this lag?
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline redjaztin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 09:11:41 AM »
experience ko lang po ito sa sa G7.1ut ko...

parang stompbox lang din. unlike sa GFX4 at Korg AX1500G...iba na kaagad tunog ng guitar ko pagnakakabit...hindi rin digital ang tunog...

Malaking bagay din yung ZNR (noiese reduction) nya. tanggal kahit anung ingay (humming)...pero wag masyado kasi naapektuhan sustain. pero very usable talaga. Pero super clean talaga. Malaking factor din yung boost at tube nya. kahit papaano, maeexperience mo kahit glimps ng tube amps. Lalo pa kaya sa G9 na 2 tubes....

yun lang naman...

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 09:20:54 AM »
I'd go for the PodxtLive because the sounds are upgradeable.

But for ease of use, Boss GT8. Plus the dynamic sensing is just plain cool.

ginblue

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 09:22:37 AM »
hhhmmmm bakit kaya hindi namemention yung TONELAB SE.
If you like british amps or tones TONELAB ka na.
Obvious talaga ang tube sound ng tonelab, i heard the demo of g7 and g9
pero di ko masabing tube sound...imho.

Ok naman talaga stompbox pero what if you only have 1pc ds1 and you want 2 settings
for the ds1, 1 setting for OD and another for Hard distortion pipihitin mo ba
lagi kapag nasa stage ka? Hirap yun eh sa totoo lang.

Up!!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 09:39:31 AM »
Marco,
There's virtually no lag when switching between patches in the Zoom G series (I'm not sure about the tiny G1/G1X, though). The Korg AX3000G, just a tiny tiny bit. The Boss GT-6/GT-8, I haven't tested much, but it ought to be a non-issue as well. They're finally starting to use fast processors.

The problem I hear now is when navigating through patches with different delay settings. I get this pitch-shifting side effect with the Korg sometimes. But I think it's the nature of digital delays. Yun nga ba yung ginawa ni Paul Gilbert sa Get Out Of My Yard with his delay pedal?

For a workaround... I don't really know. The only one I know is to adjust my playing a little bit. Mute the strings for a fraction of a second when switching. I do the same thing with analog pedals, anyway. Kailangan lang maging mas conscious ng kaunti with a digital unit.

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 09:47:49 AM »
boss me-50 nalang
boss na
sulit ang presyo
astig ang tunog
madaling gamitin
 :-D :-D :-D

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 09:50:24 AM »
im thinking of selling all my pedals,

would it be worth!?!?!

im gonna buy a BOSS gt-8 or PODXT Live or TONELAB SE or LE

22k kapag binenta ko mga pedals ko...

reason:

ang bigat bigat nung pedal board plus ung mga pedal. puro bakal kasi  :|

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 10:16:54 AM »
it doesn't matter wether i use stomp boxes or multi-efx as long as i'm happy with my tone..  :wink:

Offline feraskulio

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 10:21:57 AM »
reason:

ang bigat bigat nung pedal board plus ung mga pedal. puro bakal kasi  :|

Mismo!! Kaya ayaw ko ng stomps.....plus ala ko pera  :-D :-D :-D....
Besides may dala pa ko mga modulation pedals like wah, talkbox and whammy, imagine adding 6 more...sheeesh!!!  :D

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 10:38:06 AM »
any reviews???

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 10:41:26 AM »
Marco,
There's virtually no lag when switching between patches in the Zoom G series (I'm not sure about the tiny G1/G1X, though). The Korg AX3000G, just a tiny tiny bit. The Boss GT-6/GT-8, I haven't tested much, but it ought to be a non-issue as well. They're finally starting to use fast processors.

[...]

For a workaround... I don't really know. The only one I know is to adjust my playing a little bit. Mute the strings for a fraction of a second when switching. I do the same thing with analog pedals, anyway. Kailangan lang maging mas conscious ng kaunti with a digital unit.

Ah I see. It's good to hear that the G series don't have that. I've been wanting to get my hands on either a G7 or G9 so commuting won't be such a hassle for those gigs that are quite far. Plus it's also a safe option for those gigs that can't guarantee an amp for each guitar player, as we have two guitars in the band and some bars only have one guitar amp. At least, the PA can serve as an amp and produce a decent sound thanks to the amp sims, particularly the ones on the POD XTLive.

My issues with lag were actually brought about by some our our songs that necessitate playing a chord and holding it while you change into another sound. In the GFX-4, the lag is very noticeable so that's why that was scrapped out of the option list.

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »
tanong ko lang mga sir, dahil sa nacucrious din ako sa Line 6 PODxt live na yan, madali bang gamitin yan?? kasi parang and complicated ng pagswiswitch from one effect to another... pede bang maging manual yung mga footswitches dun??? :?

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 11:58:14 AM »
Marco,

[...]

Ah I see. It's good to hear that the G series don't have that. I've been wanting to get my hands on either a G7 or G9 so commuting won't be such a hassle for those gigs that are quite far. Plus it's also a safe option for those gigs that can't guarantee an amp for each guitar player, as we have two guitars in the band and some bars only have one guitar amp. At least, the PA can serve as an amp and produce a decent sound thanks to the amp sims, particularly the ones on the POD XTLive.

My issues with lag were actually brought about by some our our songs that necessitate playing a chord and holding it while you change into another sound. In the GFX-4, the lag is very noticeable so that's why that was scrapped out of the option list.

Titser, talaga nga pong mabilis ang patch change ng zoom, @ 7ms hindi na noticable ng human perception yun (kung yung 10ms nga po na lag di na noticable when recording) pero regarding sa weight po, mejo mabigat 'tong FX na 'to, referring to g9.2tt @ 12.1 lbs pwera adaptor), pero definitely mas magaan yung 7.1 (8.8 lbs) but little less features. Owning the g9.2tt is like owning 12 analog effects na tig 1-lb ang bigat although i can manage kasi 200 punder ako :-D ( i cary my amp, gutar and 9.2 upstairs at once :lol:) so kung weight po ang concern mejo wag yung 9.2  :-) tip lang po

Offline redjaztin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 12:05:44 PM »
Titser, talaga nga pong mabilis ang patch change ng zoom, @ 7ms hindi na noticable ng human perception yun (kung yung 10ms nga po na lag di na noticable when recording) pero regarding sa weight po, mejo mabigat 'tong FX na 'to, referring to g9.2tt @ 12.1 lbs pwera adaptor), pero definitely mas magaan yung 7.1 (8.8 lbs) but little less features. Owning the g9.2tt is like owning 12 analog effects na tig 1-lb ang bigat although i can manage kasi 200 punder ako grin ( i cary my amp, gutar and 9.2 upstairs at once cheesy) so kung weight po ang concern mejo wag yung 9.2  smiley tip lang po

yup...hindi mo talaga mapapansin...as in sobrang smooth ng transition bawat patch....sa experiance ko with G7 palang...naku, mabigat talaga...lalo na kung nasa hard case ko...hehehe...pero sigurado namang matibay....hehehe

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 12:13:35 PM »
I see, I see. I think I can manage with the G9, since it's thinner than my pedalboard. My pedalboard weighs around 15-16lbs, so I reckon the g9 will be a welcome change in case I do get one.:)

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 02:07:18 PM »
it doesn't matter wether i use stomp boxes or multi-efx as long as i'm happy with my tone..  :wink:

apir! :-D

Offline Les Paul

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 02:36:36 PM »
speaking of the zoom g-series,
napansin ko na usually nagiging defective yung footswitches
especially on the zoom g2 and g2.1
siguro kailangan lang talagang ingatan..
*fender squire fat stratocaster *marshall valvestate 8040 *zoom g2 *boston hm-100 *behringer eq700 *boston fl-100 *boston ch-100 *zoom 505 *customized PSU *customized pedalboard *boss ds-1 *picks, slide, blah blah blah...

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 05:06:41 PM »
speaking of the zoom g-series,
napansin ko na usually nagiging defective yung footswitches
especially on the zoom g2 and g2.1
siguro kailangan lang talagang ingatan..

you mean senstitve foot buttons ng g-series??? i think not... :-D

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »
Pareho lang gamit ng switches from G2 to G9.2tt. They're not the real heavy duty mechanical DPDT/3PDT's associated with boutique pedals, though. So, I'm not surprised if some durability issues pop up every now and then.