hulika

Author Topic: "Gear gets in the way if it becomes your focus" - Derek Trucks  (Read 18481 times)

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "Gear gets in the way if it becomes your focus" - Derek Trucks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »
true that true that slimO'

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »
so true, especially for musicians who actually make their own music and perform.

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 10:17:19 AM »
mismooooo i used to end up just tap dancing instead of playing music hahaha.  its not for me i guess

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 10:38:14 AM »
correct. my opinion is, play well first then your need for tone will follow......
sayang ang tone kung di ka makapag play ng maayos..... just my opinion
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline jmreyes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
I totally agree with this.
If gear / tone hunting becomes your only focus, your gonna miss the point in no time... Playing.
LF: Mojo

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” - J.S. Bach

Music Furniture

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 11:42:49 AM »
How important is gear in getting your fat, sweet mid-range heavy guitar sound?

Gear gets in the way if it becomes your focus. Some of the greatest guitarists find a guitar they are so comfortable with it becomes an extension of them as players. You see pictures of Duane with a Les Paul and later on with an SG and it looks so right.

Once you find the right combination of guitar and amp, on a great night you’re not thinking about gear. With my own band when I’m playing my SG through an early ’60s Super-Reverb it’s such a comfortable sound for me that I’m not conscious of the amp and guitar. If you play long enough and are natural enough, that’s just gonna happen.

The only time equipment is a concern is when you’re playing outdoors, maybe, and the wind is blowing the sound around so it’s not just right. Or you’re in a room that doesn’t have good ambience. Of course, professionals work through that, so you’re still gonna have at least one or two moments on-stage that are elevated, and that’s always what we’re striving for.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
for everyone's viewing pleasure.  thanks delta!  :-D
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline raybrig

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:19:55 PM »
Parang "anti GAS" itong thread na ito.  :lol:
zzzzzzz

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »
I think focusing on anything besides playing can get in the way.  That includes drugs, groupies, and looks. :D

I guess everyone agrees that gear is just the slave to the master (the player). 

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 12:26:57 PM »
I think focusing on anything besides playing can get in the way.  That includes drugs, groupies, and looks. :D

I guess everyone agrees that gear is just the slave to the master (the player). 

Yeah that is sooo true for me... I haven't touched a guitar for months now puro motot motor motor motor motor nalang ang alam ko hehehehe....  :-D

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline calculon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 12:29:15 PM »
imbes na guitarist,nagiging pedalist :-D
your hormones control you!!!

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 12:53:11 PM »
How important is gear in getting your fat, sweet mid-range heavy guitar sound?
The only time equipment is a concern is when you’re playing outdoors, maybe, and the wind is blowing the sound around so it’s not just right. Or you’re in a room that doesn’t have good ambience.

99% of gig venues in this country doesn't have good ambience. Therefore, 99% of the time in this country, GAS is justified. Bwahahahaha. :evil:

De loko lang.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline guitbox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My passion comes from my Jesus...

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 12:58:57 PM »
99% of gig venues in this country doesn't have good ambience. Therefore, 99% of the time in this country, GAS is justified. Bwahahahaha. :evil:

this is so true brotha.  :lol:

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
Nice topic. On a sidenote, its cool how Trucks mentions more singers as influence. His playing does sound a lot like a singer belting it out. :)
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 01:42:55 PM »
Nice topic. On a sidenote, its cool how Trucks mentions more singers as influence. His playing does sound a lot like a singer belting it out. :)

That's supposed to be the normal way of doing it cuz the guitar solo is supposed to support the song, or complement the vocals. Unfortunately, many guitar players see the ad lib/solo as the opportunity to do show off their skillz and thus end up doing purely guitar stuff that has no connection to the song.

It also helps to hold one's pride/ego in check.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:29:20 PM by deltaslim »

Offline paolo_du

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »
I admit that I relied on a lot of these whacky pedals before, since I started playing. I totally played like crap without my trippy modulations, delays, and excessive drives. When I downsized my board, I realized I was crap!!!

Now I do not use them anymore except one transparent overdrive at a time, and I can see myself improving. I have yet to get myself a good amp. :-D
When your blanket is short, your feet will get cold.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 02:07:40 PM »
one confession: 

since i decided to get an electric guitar, i became more focused on getting the best gear for the best price.  i was too focused on completing my simple pedalboard than learning the scales and technicalities, which i think i should devote more time to. 

my resolution now is to start working on lessons.  i have a definite path in mind and i intend to follow that learning path.  :-)

thanks, really for bringing this thread up Joric.  kudos.  :-D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »
one confession: 

since i decided to get an electric guitar, i became more focused on getting the best gear for the best price.  i was too focused on completing my simple pedalboard than learning the scales and technicalities, which i think i should devote more time to. 

my resolution now is to start working on lessons.  i have a definite path in mind and i intend to follow that learning path.  :-)

thanks, really for bringing this thread up Joric.  kudos.  :-D

well, i think the article's message is to try to find the sound you hear in your head with the right gear so it's ok to go through that phase. when you've achieved it though, it's time to focus on making better music. it can be uncomfortable to express yourself if you haven't found your tone.  but at the end of the day you can't blame the gear if you suck at making music.

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »
but at the end of the day you can't blame the gear if you suck at making music.

I suck at it, and am solely blaming my gear for sucking. Time to change gear.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »

That's witty... pedalist  :-D

Derek's technique is so awesome, he just swears by going direct to his amp and cranking it, letting his fingers take over.

I've learnt though listening to him and the other minimalist folks that its easy to hide behind your gear if you possess weak technique. If you can hit the spot with a guitar, cord and amp, you're good to go.

Pedals can serve as condiments and seasoning. But come to think of it, these spices have now reached the same fever pitch as spices did in the middle ages...  :-D

close your windows and count your spices...
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 07:10:25 PM »
otoh, you have a player like the Edge and a band like U2, whose songs almost require him to use effects.

basta. mali si derek trucks. a guy cant be that good AND be right about everything. that would be plain unfair.

Saturn/Return

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
This is a great read, thanks for sharing this. I like what Dereck said: "Some of the greatest guitarists find a guitar they are so comfortable with it becomes an extension of them as players." I believe it's important to find the guitar/gear your comfortable with. I guess it would be safe to assume it's would be the same with your pedals/gear?  :-)

otoh, you have a player like the Edge and a band like U2, whose songs almost require him to use effects.

I agree with Nathan's insight. I guess it really depends on the type of music you play. Besides U2, there are also a lot of "effects-driven/oriented" bands out there.

Check out Avengers in Sci-Fi:

With this set-up.. Definitely not the kinda tone for blues, but it works for their sound and they probably would require change/upgrade in their gear if needed to create new sounds/textures for their music :-)