hulika

Author Topic: Need help in partial upgrade!  (Read 10562 times)

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
Need help in partial upgrade!
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:32:49 PM »
UPDATE:

i just found out that my mobo only supports DDR, curse the light.

im now gearing towards upgrading my motherboard, my processor and my RAM.

my reason for the upgrade is not gaming; im using programs such as 3D Studio Max, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, among others. however, my main goal is to improve rendering times (decrease it) in 3D rendering programs and i've researched that a dual core can achieve that.

now im not sure whether to go Intel or stay with AMD. perhaps my main consideration is cost.

another thing, i've just recently bought an Nvidia GF6800GS 128mb AGP video card (since my present mobo only supported AGP), and i don't want to replace it since video cards are expensive. can AGP still be supported by the latest mobos (those who are already supporting PCI-Express slots)?

please, if you have any suggestions, kindly help. thanks a lot!

badong

~

hi guys since i'm fairly new with this kind of hardware, i'm having trouble researching. i googled it but couldn't find the answer (or i'm using incorrect key words)

my mobo is an Asus A8V-Mx

according to the manual's specs summary, under CPU: Socket 939 for AMD Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64/Sempron 64 processors.

now i don't know wth that means. my current processor is an athlon, 3000+ 1.8ghz if i'm not mistaken.

i want to upgrade to an Intel Core2Duo and i'm wondering if it is possible...?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:28:09 PM by badongrodrigs »

Offline paparoni

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Can this motherboard support an Intel processor?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:53:04 PM »
ser. tignan niyo sa box ng motherboard kung supported niya ang core2duo. un. sna nkatulong. hehe.

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 12:02:51 AM »
ser. tignan niyo sa box ng motherboard kung supported niya ang core2duo. un. sna nkatulong. hehe.

walang nakalagay sa box men eh.

Offline Fenris

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:04:18 AM »
This motherboard supports AMD 939-pin Athlon 64 FX/ Athlon 64 processors
Trying to make everyone conform is a sure-fire way to lose some very talented people<br /><br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako

Offline Fenris

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:05:48 AM »
AMD 939-pin won accomodate an LGA 775 processor used by intel
Trying to make everyone conform is a sure-fire way to lose some very talented people<br /><br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »
AMD 939-pin won accomodate an LGA 775 processor used by intel

wait, typo error ba yung "won" for "won't"?

so it can't support intel processors?

Offline Fenris

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 12:20:05 AM »
oo nga typo
bad news is that no it wont support intel processors

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 12:22:32 AM »
oo nga typo
bad news is that no it wont support intel processors

gaddamn it.

are you absolutely sure?

Offline Fenris

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 12:24:40 AM »
sure
di mag aalign ang pins ng processor sa socket, pag pinilit mo, bent pins lang aabutin mo.

i wish i had better news :-)

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 12:37:03 AM »
sure
di mag aalign ang pins ng processor sa socket, pag pinilit mo, bent pins lang aabutin mo.

i wish i had better news :-)

can't i buy, like, an adaptor or something of the like?

it strikes me as strange that a mobo can't be THAT versatile, and is unfriendly to innovation.

Offline Fenris

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 12:43:41 AM »
the thing is that if the chipset can support the processor all you have to do is modify the physical arrange ment of the pins to accomodate the new processor like the time of the slot 1 to s370 of the slot P3 to socket P3 days, but ure using an motherboard designed to support an AMD processor, intel and AMD processors are engineered in such a different way that the mother board chipsets wont be able to handle requests from the other manufacturer

in short

there is no way to attach an intel processor to an AMD motherboard

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 12:59:03 AM »
It's not about versatility or innovation, but more of competition.

Motherboards are manufactured according to a particular socket or cpu specification. Your motherboard was built to accomodate 939-pin Athlon 64 cpus which only AMD manufactured.

Intel purposefully set a standard for motherboards and cpus which makes it completely incompatible with AMD, who happens to be their main competitor. All this incompatibility stemmed from the old socket 7 motherboards which could accomodate both early Intel pentiums and AMD K6 cpus. After that, it became a pissing match on whose cpu was better and faster, thus innovation determined the need for different cpu architectures between the 2 companies necessitating the need for incompatible motherboard chipset and socket designs, blah, blah, blah... you get the picture.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 01:01:42 AM »
okay.

so the only option i have is to buy the AMD equivalent of Intel Core2Duo, which is the X2...?

Offline Fenris

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 01:06:42 AM »
thats pretty much it and AMD CPUs arent all that bad

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 01:10:15 AM »
all right, thanks for all the help!

my brother works as a researcher for AMD, and i think i'll have him ship their latest model for me hehehehe

thanks again!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
my brother works as a researcher for AMD, and i think i'll have him ship their latest model for me hehehehe

Sorry.

The latest AMD cpus are AM2 and AM2+ which are incompatible with socket 939. You can still find some 939-pin AMDs abroad. Locally, only the used market is available. You can also use 1-series Opterons for your mobo (Opteron 165/170/175/185) which are also dual core.

If you need a cpu that bad, I have a 939 3200+ (not X2) that I'm not using.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
uh, what sir? hehe

so in layman's terms, my mobo is not compatible with AMD dual cores too? or incompatible with the latest processors ONLY?

Offline tagagapo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 02:13:24 PM »
hi guys since i'm fairly new with this kind of hardware, i'm having trouble researching. i googled it but couldn't find the answer (or i'm using incorrect key words)

my mobo is an Asus A8V-Mx

according to the manual's specs summary, under CPU: Socket 939 for AMD Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64/Sempron 64 processors.

now i don't know wth that means. my current processor is an athlon, 3000+ 1.8ghz if i'm not mistaken.

i want to upgrade to an Intel Core2Duo and i'm wondering if it is possible...?

Nope hindi pwede pang intel yan pang AMD yan AMD 939 mga ganun
Uncle Sam kiss my ass!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »
so in layman's terms, my mobo is not compatible with AMD dual cores too? or incompatible with the latest processors ONLY?

Dude, there is more to a motherboard than just slapping on any processor. Presently manufactured AMD processors are designed for AM2 sockets which are different from 939 sockets. The cpus themselves may all be called Athlons but there are several different kinds: socket A Athlons had 462 pins, Athlon 64s came in 754 and 939 pin varieties, while today's AM2 Athlon has 940 pins. Opterons also come in 939 pins (which is compatible with your mobo) and 940 pins (but is incompatible with AM2 sockets). There are also Semprons with the same pin counts but these are often referred to as budget processors with less L2 cache.

Try to get qualified advice from knowledgeable technicians if you don't know what you are doing. Better yet, get a new mobo if you wish to use present day processors.

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 05:04:41 PM »
all right, thanks for all the help!

latest models are quad cores(Phenom)

at pag nag ship utol mo nun, bibili ka din ng AMD quad core compatible mobo  :-)
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline paparoni

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
quad core ang bilis non  :evil: ahehe.

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 09:26:15 PM »
Dude, there is more to a motherboard than just slapping on any processor. Presently manufactured AMD processors are designed for AM2 sockets which are different from 939 sockets. The cpus themselves may all be called Athlons but there are several different kinds: socket A Athlons had 462 pins, Athlon 64s came in 754 and 939 pin varieties, while today's AM2 Athlon has 940 pins. Opterons also come in 939 pins (which is compatible with your mobo) and 940 pins (but is incompatible with AM2 sockets). There are also Semprons with the same pin counts but these are often referred to as budget processors with less L2 cache.

Try to get qualified advice from knowledgeable technicians if you don't know what you are doing. Better yet, get a new mobo if you wish to use present day processors.

hehe sorry naman ser!

i'll ask for help personally nalang whenever im ready to buy a new processor.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »
... I'll take KitC's word anyday.

firstly decide whether you are going for an Intel or AMD platform, then select the motherboard features that you want. don't get a board simply because everybody says so, or if it has all those nifty features like sata 2, firewire,  high definition video pero hinde naman gagamitin then you might as well opt for a board that has lesser features that you will really need. select the motherboard, then get the corresponding processor for that board. also bear in mind that every 3 months or so, prices fluctuate so that a 5k processor might slash down to 4k within a couple of months..
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 12:37:50 AM »
also bear in mind that every 3 months or so, prices fluctuate so that a 5k processor might slash down to 4k within a couple of months..

Tell me about it... :|

Within 6 months, my 9k proc became 4k, and now there are 4k procies that are twice powerful than my original proc.  :-(   I hate Moore's law.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 10:36:37 AM »
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8V-MX
just checked the asus website and it can support up to an athlon x2 (939) 4800 or a opteron dual core 185 subject to the bios version of your motherboard. the latest version is 503.

now as to whether you can get any of these processors, that is another matter.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM