hulika

Author Topic: Camera choice help!  (Read 4919 times)

Offline bazgrol0413

• Forum Fanatic
Camera choice help!
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:20:46 PM »
mga gurus im about to buy a dslr but im confused on what to get. my choices are the nikon d300s, canon mark 5d, canon mark 7d. im open to other suggestions as well. budget is around 80-100k body. also i need suggestions on where to buy, people say sa hidalgo and sa kimstore mura. opinions and suggestions will be very much appreciated. thanks!
References: turigilliano, kulas, micsis, bh, deltaslim, Saturn/Return, spankyrigor, ejbasses, Red_Strat, alvin_ching5782, alvinratsim, mandoytz, trix, jetleebog, BrianLP, mr.brownstone, ajct3, yahu, weeping_demon, scofield, lovecore, teleclem

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Camera choice help!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
mga gurus im about to buy a dslr but im confused on what to get. my choices are the nikon d300s, canon mark 5d, canon mark 7d. im open to other suggestions as well. budget is around 80-100k body. also i need suggestions on where to buy, people say sa hidalgo and sa kimstore mura. opinions and suggestions will be very much appreciated. thanks!

aba high roller! first dslr ba to?

Offline bazgrol0413

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
aba high roller! first dslr ba to?
yes sir. pero isang taon kong pinagipunan yan sir e. i never like to settle for less kasi then later on bebenta ko dn to get what i really want. i know i can never cope up with technology though. hahaha. any suggestions sir? :)
References: turigilliano, kulas, micsis, bh, deltaslim, Saturn/Return, spankyrigor, ejbasses, Red_Strat, alvin_ching5782, alvinratsim, mandoytz, trix, jetleebog, BrianLP, mr.brownstone, ajct3, yahu, weeping_demon, scofield, lovecore, teleclem

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:49:30 PM »
yes sir. pero isang taon kong pinagipunan yan sir e. i never like to settle for less kasi then later on bebenta ko dn to get what i really want. i know i can never cope up with technology though. hahaha. any suggestions sir? :)

kung canon 5d mark ii ang pinaguusapan nyo po sa choices nyo, i'd vote for that. feeling ko medyo matagal tagal pa ang lifespan nito sa market in terms of keeping its resale value.

pero kung canon 5d mark i yung pinaguusapan nyo sa choices nyo, i'd vote for the d300s because i find nikon's user interface much more accessible.

why not try all three out then decide which one feels best in your hands?

why not divide your budget in such a way that your 80-100k gets you a few nice lenses as well? or do you have a seperate budget for lenses?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:50:57 PM by andrew_O_O »

Offline bazgrol0413

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
kung canon 5d mark ii ang pinaguusapan nyo po sa choices nyo, i'd vote for that. feeling ko medyo matagal tagal pa ang lifespan nito sa market in terms of keeping its resale value.

pero kung canon 5d mark i yung pinaguusapan nyo sa choices nyo, i'd vote for the d300s because i find nikon's user interface much more accessible.

why not try all three out then decide which one feels best in your hands?

why not divide your budget in such a way that your 80-100k gets you a few nice lenses as well? or do you have a seperate budget for lenses?
im refering to the canon d mark ii. separate budget sa lens sir. e yung canon 7d?

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »
im refering to the canon d mark ii. separate budget sa lens sir. e yung canon 7d?

actually the 7d and the 5d mk2 are really different cameras. the 5d mk2 is a full frame camera. while the 7d uses a cropped sensor.

i don't really know the advantages of having a full frame as i've never tried one. but it appears that the 5d mk2 provides much better image quality than the 7d.

http://www.cameratown.com/reviews/canon7d/

although the 7d has 8fps continuous shooting. so if you shoot sports, you might want that instead. i think the 7d makes for a more effective all around cam.

and i don't really know about how it goes in canon, but with nikon, full frame lenses are generally more expensive than lenses made for cropped sensor cameras.

as for features like video and etc, i don't really know much about dslr's and video but thats what we have hd video camcorders for right?  :-D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:19:55 PM by andrew_O_O »

Offline bazgrol0413

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »
actually the 7d and the 5d mk2 are really different cameras. the 5d mk2 is a full frame camera. while the 7d uses a cropped sensor.

i don't really know the advantages of having a full frame as i've never tried one. but it appears that the 5d mk2 provides much better image quality than the 7d.

http://www.cameratown.com/reviews/canon7d/

although the 7d has 8fps continuous shooting. so if you shoot sports, you might want that instead. i think the 7d makes for a more effective all around cam.

and i don't really know about how it goes in canon, but with nikon, full frame lenses are generally more expensive than lenses made for cropped sensor cameras.

as for features like video and etc, i don't really know much about dslr's and video but thats what we have hd video camcorders for right?  :-D
cool. thanks for the reply sir. will try all of them na lng muna. but i think its the 7d. lols!

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »

bigtime! those are good cameras. However, you said it yourself. you never want to settle for less which you're going to sell later on and get what you really want. look, why are you asking us if you really know what you want? That simply means you are not sure on what to get. And 80-100k is not a price (for me) that you would want to spend for something you are unsure of. Im no pro/expert/guru/master/handsome, but this advice will go a long way. start like a beginner, end like a pro. start with the cheapest if possible. you dont wanna spend another year saving for something else. if you dont want to start with the cheapest (but good cameras/gadgets) then at least get 2nd hand. don't buy a car. buy a cam.  :-D

To answer your question, I would not go for those cameras. Instead, I'd get D80, or a second hand D90. For canon, at least 40D or 50D. get 3 lenses (if possible), wide (at least 17mm-50mm f2.8, which is an all around lens already), fast zoom lense and prime. if you can't go with the 3 lenses, buy only what you think you'll always be using or buy only what you can use. For example, if you are going to buy UWA lenses, make sure you are spending time more on the road than indoors. And lastly, buy at least one or two external flashes (3rd party like nissin di622 is a pretty good strobe already, but since you got funds, get sb800). If possible, buy 2nd hand (units/lens/flashes) first but in a brand new or mint condition. Also, don't forget to buy a tripod - you'll need this in almost all fields.

If you will start to buy high-end gadgets, there's a possibility that you'll be gassing for higher ends or highest :lol. Just my two cents. hope you'll consider this as well. :-D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:18:32 PM by higad »
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline dudeofdude

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 10:13:03 PM »
awesome budget but I'd have to suggest you get a d80/90 or 40/50d like higad said earlier.
my explanation: mid-level dslrs like the d90 and 50d are about as good as the higher end cropped sensor models. the only real difference is the build quality. since you're not a hardcore photographer, a d90 or a 50d should serve you well enough. they both have dedicated buttons for functions and an lcd panel which is what's missing on entry level dslrs. the image quality of the d90 is better than the higher-end d300 and d300s, keep that in mind. image quality doesn't matter these days since all new dslr models from nikon and canon have amazing IQ. buying an entry-level dslr was a mistake for me because of all the missing buttons and the missing lcd panel, i wanted to upgrade to a d90 right away, but buying a high end model as your first is also a mistake. you'll learn almost everything you'll ever need to know about dslrs and photography with a mid-level model. and this way you'll understand that lenses matter more than your camera. :))

in other words: buy a mid level dslr, play with it for a while and use the extra money to buy lenses that suit your needs.

my 2 cents :-D
hanggang ngayon hindi ko parin alam ang tunog ng ipis

Offline omen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 10:29:59 PM »
+1 sir, sabi ng friend ko mas maganda daw mag-invest sa magandang lenses, tapos yung body nalang upgrade ng upgrade.

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 11:13:36 PM »
+1 sir, sabi ng friend ko mas maganda daw mag-invest sa magandang lenses, tapos yung body nalang upgrade ng upgrade.

Yup, I would suggest you do this! Invest in good lenses then buy a body (Nikon D90 or Canon 50D) that will fit your needs. At least lenses, matagal or hindi nagde-depreciate.

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 11:41:50 PM »
Get the best your money can buy. Usually in this hobby, you get what you pay for. Now, in some cases "best" for 1 person is not the same as the "best" to someone else. So IN MY OPINION, I'd go straight to the Nikon D700. Why? Because I think it's the best right now in terms of IQ, operability, and more. :-D

Of course I'm taking into account that you have a deep pocket and a separate (big) budget for (FX) lenses. :)

I also apply the same principle when buying anything for myself (be it guitar, cameras, furniture, etc.): buy what you like. It doesn't matter if you're a pro or not; get what makes you happy. I don't listen to those that tell me not to get a Mesa Boogie Mark V because I can't shred; or don't get an Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk2 coz I'm not a professional guitar player; I buy them because a.) I can and b.) I like them. ;)
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline bazgrol0413

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 10:05:59 PM »
thank you mga sirs sa reply nyo. i will really consider the things that u guys said. and also thanks sir tackielarla, your advised helped me with my gas issues with both guitar and camera related. you really have a great point!  :wink:

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 11:41:48 PM »
Glad to help you out dude. :)
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 12:25:57 AM »
Try both cameras bro and do some research. Both( Canon 5DMII and Nikon D300s ) are good cameras. Just sharing my newbie opinion.
EXN PEDALBOARDS AND CASES http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,76364.0.html09173208410 / YM: exnpedalboards / skype: exn_pedalboards / fb: exnpedalboards / multiply: exnpedalboards

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 08:31:13 AM »

canon 5d mark 2 hast the best specs among all the canon models gas na gas din ako dito.....lamang lang ang nikon ng isang pixel
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:33:02 AM by jem_adriano »

Offline badungga

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 06:31:17 PM »
hmmm... my suggestion is to buy a 2nd hand but in good condtion body and a walk around lens.
aralin mo muna basic, tapos kapag nalaman mo na yung gusto mong shootan, portrait or sports halimbawa,
tsaka ka na bumili ng bagong body at sandamakmak na lens para sa field na gusto mo.

kung bibili ka ng 5d mark II ngaun, tapos biglang sports pala mahihiligan mo, 7d dapat body mo.
im no pro but i  just want to share my opinion.  :wink:

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 06:50:18 PM »
Post mo dito pag naka-bili ka na bro. :-D

Offline bazgrol0413

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 08:58:04 PM »
Post mo dito pag naka-bili ka na bro. :-D
for sure. :D

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 09:19:09 PM »
hmmm... my suggestion is to buy a 2nd hand but in good condtion body and a walk around lens.
aralin mo muna basic, tapos kapag nalaman mo na yung gusto mong shootan, portrait or sports halimbawa,
tsaka ka na bumili ng bagong body at sandamakmak na lens para sa field na gusto mo.

kung bibili ka ng 5d mark II ngaun, tapos biglang sports pala mahihiligan mo, 7d dapat body mo.
im no pro but i  just want to share my opinion.  :wink:

exactly my point.

wag mo post please. wag mo sirain budget naming mahihirap :lol:
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »
For me, I'll go for a 5D Mark II. Why? Full-frame Sensor! Cleaner High ISO shots, ganda ng DOF ng FF, and besides di naman ako madalas nagshushoot nang kahit anong mabibilis. Downside lang eh kailangan ko ng EF lenses which is more expensive kaysa sa mga EF-S lenses. :D

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 01:13:07 PM »
before investing in a camera body this expensive may i just know, do you have any plans on taking photography as a hobby seriously? are you going to take photographs or snapshots? do you already have a background in photography? did you also consider the canon or nikon SYSTEM before narrowing down your choices? what field are you going to shoot? IMHO, before getting a semi pro camera body, try to familiarize yourself with a prosumer camera. get the basics down, know your field then invest some more. a decent kit will get you great photos already. good luck. hopefully your investment will be a good one.

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
Get the best your money can buy. Usually in this hobby, you get what you pay for. Now, in some cases "best" for 1 person is not the same as the "best" to someone else. So IN MY OPINION, I'd go straight to the Nikon D700. Why? Because I think it's the best right now in terms of IQ, operability, and more. :-D

Of course I'm taking into account that you have a deep pocket and a separate (big) budget for (FX) lenses. :)

I also apply the same principle when buying anything for myself (be it guitar, cameras, furniture, etc.): buy what you like. It doesn't matter if you're a pro or not; get what makes you happy. I don't listen to those that tell me not to get a Mesa Boogie Mark V because I can't shred; or don't get an Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk2 coz I'm not a professional guitar player; I buy them because a.) I can and b.) I like them. ;)
+1000000000

Pero go for 5D Mark II kasi yun ang nasa choices mo :D

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »
For me, I'll go for a 5D Mark II. Why? Full-frame Sensor! Cleaner High ISO shots, ganda ng DOF ng FF, and besides di naman ako madalas nagshushoot nang kahit anong mabibilis. Downside lang eh kailangan ko ng EF lenses which is more expensive kaysa sa mga EF-S lenses. :D
+1

eh may pera nga siya pang bili ng body, lens pa kaya.  :-D

5d mk II + 24-70mm 2.8f L = solve ang buhay :))

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »
+1

eh may pera nga siya pang bili ng body, lens pa kaya.  :-D

5d mk II + 24-70mm 2.8f L = solve ang buhay :))
Oo nga naman! Siguro kung malaki budget ko dati, naka-D700 sana ako ngayon.  :lol:

Gusto ko 5D Mark II + 24-105mm F/4L IS. HAHA. OT na yata tayo eh.  :lol: