hulika

Author Topic: Newbie But Judge Me.  (Read 2259 times)

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
Newbie But Judge Me.
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:53:47 PM »
Hi all, I dont know how I should start this so bear with me. I honestly am not one who's into photography, my experience is as far as taking pictures for documentary purposes mainly with point-and-shoot digital cams. All along I knew that SLRs do provide quality shots but I didnt take much interest in em even though several were pretty much avail at my disposal coz of some family members' love for them; and coz I saw em as being inconvenient due to their size and argued that point and shoots, much more, my camera phones could pretty much satisfy my documentary needs. Needless to say, I was very wrong. It was only recently that I bothered to use some of the huge cameras at home with some tutorial from my younger bro.

And no matter how weird this may sound...damn dude I think it's really the 'clicking' shutter sound that really got me goin with it. So anyway, here are some pictures I took with a Nikon D80. I don't know the technical terms that go along with it but I played with 3 lenses, one is the basic zoom lens (the one that usually comes with the kit), one is for wide angle (the short one), and one is for super zoom (huge-ass bigger than the cam type lense, which I didnt use much coz it was not like i was spyin on somethin). see I told you i really dont know what theyre called, the big one i think is called a telephoto, i cant be bothered yet. basta theyre nikon lenses. i mainly used the basic lense then played around the aperture, iso, focus and that -/+ knob as per bro's instruction.

anyway, enough with talkin, please pass judgement on my photography. Subjects are drums and cars. I don't know how else to describe these,..um... er...indoor, outdoor, night and day shots.

Picture Number 1

Picture Number 2

Picture Number 3

Picture Number 4

Picture Number 5

Picture Number 6

Picture Number 7

Picture Number 8

Picture Number 9

Picture Number 10

Picture Number 11

Picture Number 12

Kindly criticise, good or bad, i honestly just wana know if this is gona get me anywhere near pro shots or should I just give it up now? i'm still in process of understandin the various features of a dSLR, honestly when I get tired of all the configurations, I just hit the Auto switch and I get pretty much decent shots.

And sometimes, I feel even more annoyed coz when I take the photos, they seem ok on the camera's LCD but when they turn up on my pc, those shots I thought to be really 'SWAK!' turns out be blurry pala. so much for false hopes.

There's one new camera my bro got, it's a Nikon D300, looks similar to the one I used but is it goin to give me better results in the same level and knowledge I took those shots above?

Please let me know how I could improve my snaps! thanks so much for your time and assisstance.

:-)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:40:58 AM by bangbus »

Offline masarapangtaho

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Newbie But Judge Me.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:28:14 PM »
my comments since you're asking for comments:
focusing is okay. composition-wise ok na rin eh.
exposure, medyo may mga under exposed pa.
try to apply yung mga lessons dun sa night photography thread. pramis, ok siya.

i love the MR2 rear shot. ganda ng ambient lighting. :lol:

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 06:28:24 PM »
one thing is for sure:

i love your subjects. :) LOL eastwood or greenhills?

by the look of the night shots, mejo nasa point-and-shoot territory ka pa. maraming under-exposed. read the manual as many times as you can and you'll be up and running better in no time!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 06:29:34 PM by badongrodrigs »

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 11:08:50 PM »
okay lemme try my point of view brother...

you have a good eye! really! composition is okay :-) exposure? you have to experiment

all of your shots is underexposed but then again that's just me =)

oh and by the way you need a good tripod when shooting at night =)
my tips at night shooting with cars? try F16 and you'll have a star effect on post light =)

okay try this guys =) para medyo madali dali ng konti you have a P mode in your camera right? try nyo muna gamitin tapos click! check the given settings ng camera then pagaralan nyo kung bakit yan ang suggested camera settings then so on and so on....

little thing you know? alam nyo na yung settings =)

re d80 and d300? defenitely mas gaganda shots mo dyan

Offline obelix

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 01:15:11 AM »
1st thing to know... piliin mo yung picture na pinakamaganda sa iyo then yun yung ipa-criticize mo... hirap mag bigay ng feedback kapag san damukal yung pictures mo.

as for the most of the pictures are either underexposed or have blown out highlights. Agree ako duon kay badong, parang random snapshots lang siya.

There are photos though that looks good (to me). yung 11, might look better if mas malaking aperture or larger zoom ang ginamit mo para mas blurred pa ng konti yung background. 4 looks good, distracting lang yung puting car behind the mustang

Offline waterfallbubinga

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »
wow! :-o

napapasyal ka rin pala dito! ayus mga subjects mo ah! and yes piliin mo mga best para sa iyo tapos yun pa judge mo. pero tingin ko ang gusto mo yatang malaman ay feedbacks sa photography mo in general. Para sa akin, in general, under-exposed but I can see na you're already putting your personality forward sa mga pictures mo, which is a good thing to think na newbie ka as you say. Finding a way of putting your 'signature' on your photos without watermarking is a good thing. sabi nga ni schnitzerz4 "you have a good eye." ...Konting tweaking here and there lang yan with your camera, lenses, and investing in a tripod, trial and error, but don't be overzealous and get carried away with "gears." ...There is much much more to photography than gear acquisition... Sa mga photog contests, mga nananalo di mashado bounded with gears, they don't even talk much about their gears; ika nga, wala sa indian yan, nasa pana yan... gears are just tools, what matters most is your craft. Even the simplest picture taken in good photography taste and intention with the simplest camera will convey a profound message. and one more thing, keep it up, you will definitely get there.  :-)
aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:59:39 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys. i know my pics are very run of the mill so bear with my newbieness. Since the time of initial thread entry, I've been doing a lot of reading and talkin with learned photographers so im catching up, hopefully. Theres so much intersting stuff to learn, still got a long way to go. but to be honest, im a little over the moon with this new hobby of mine, which will probably keep me busy instead of watchin paint dry.

my initial intention was to get a general overview of my photography, so waterfallbubinga you guessed it right. Anyway, I've decreased the number of pictures to the ones I would say are my best (among the [gooey brown stuff] lot haha). Sorry for the inconvenience my initial posting may have caused.

anyway, keep those comments comin, rest-assured im takin dear note of em.

best regards to everyone.  :-)