hulika

Author Topic: V-Picks Users Thread  (Read 17360 times)

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
Re: V-Picks Users Thread
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 03:45:09 AM »
price not being an issue how were they compared to the vpicks? how was the tone and feel. and also the the bluechip compared to the v-picks. :)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 05:06:56 AM »
price not being an issue how were they compared to the vpicks? how was the tone and feel. and also the the bluechip compared to the v-picks. :)

blue chip? i wouldnt know..gearpage has a bunch of users to it, i got my red bear from ebay tortis ivory, its a circular pick compared to my preferred v-pick(triangular), so thats a difference right there as far as getting the position right, i feel the pointed tip of the pick when i tuck my v-pick(because i like to use my thumb to for a warmer attack so that's pretty important to me both v-pick and my stubbys have that)..my redbear would be like a combination of horn/wood pick..it may have its preferred use but i havent found it yet..because real turtle shell has that attack that is unlike any pick especially w/ acoustic guitars..cons is they are dirty when they scrape off..

Wegen has some triangular one's but  i got mine from ebay 'gypsy jazz picks', stubby shaped with the center core smoothed out for a grip structure..turtle shell feel, doesnt scrape as much as a stubby or a redbear..but really hurt when you loose these..tone wise its all there..sharper attack like a turtle shell without that chirp so again i think 'mellow' organic feel is what im looking for as a description..it would be preferred if it was always affordable..

so if there wasnt any v-picks out there i'd still use a wegen pick(with the stubbys as backups), but when i tried the first 2.75mm v pick no turning back..However..it cant do everything such as that flexy sound of a really thin plastic pick..which is neat to capture in recording (it depends if it is required or not)

cymbal(brass). coin(nickel) picks tend  to have that presence to them..it gets out of the mix most of the times, it has a nice feel in your fingers..i like the weight but not much the tone..

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 06:51:19 AM »
Wegen & Red Bear are gud, but por mi, deyr's samting bayter... yu kno?

V-pick water... yu kno?

Now yu kno.

:-D
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 06:55:49 AM »
Wegen & Red Bear are gud, but por mi, deyr's samting bayter... yu kno?

V-pick water... yu kno?

Now yu kno.

:-D

now yu kno 2

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 07:04:52 AM »
now yu kno 2

I tell my mader, hyu istap dat ballrum dancing alraydy! Hyu try dat V-pickwater and yu kno?

Now yu kno.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 07:07:19 AM »
I tell my mader, hyu istap dat ballrum dancing alraydy! Hyu try dat V-pickwater and yu kno?

Now yu kno.

i hab d v-pickwaterz and we do da cha cha naw

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 07:11:09 AM »
Impaka... maybe instayd op making paganda ng paganda wid dat Beeky Baylo and dat crazy guy, Hayden Eyow Powz, dat Pakmomz shud jaz yuz dat V-pickwaterz.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
Impaka... maybe instayd op making paganda ng paganda wid dat Beeky Baylo and dat crazy guy, Hayden Eyow Powz, dat Pakmomz shud jaz yuz dat V-pickwaterz.

lol, a call to pakmomz to use v-pickwaterz?

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 07:24:30 AM »
lol, a call to pakmomz to use v-pickwaterz?

A call out to Manny to improve the quality of his Pacmomz.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »
NPD  :-D

Got my Medium and Large Rounded, and have to thank Chris for patiently giving me directions to our "arrangement" place. i read alot of the user reviews online, and based on my set up and playing, the rounded tips seem to be it for me. But i've this sinking feeling that I might have to acquire some pointed ones too!

Can't wait to get home and try them! They look pretty sleek, and the finish on these things give me the assurance that they wont slip off. These are chunky picks!

My point of comparison for them would be my long time picking companions:
Dunlop Jazz III XL, both red and black
Dunlop Ultex, 1.14 (351 size), and .88 large triangle (used alot for my clean stuff)
My sacred "Joey Puyat" Tortex triangle, which he graciously gave to me. it's loaded with mojo because its worn and has plenty of stories to tell just by looking at it. I'm a yatpu fan boy!

Objective- To get some of that Jazz III warmth coupled with the big triangular articulation. I'd like to just use one godddamn pick instead of flipping constantly!

At this point of typing, the Dimension version is also piquing my interest... will get back to you guys...
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »
Welcome to the v-pick club!!!  Our musicians in here are very diverse, we got jazz, rock, metal, prog, and they use v-picks. =)

Party na ito. hehe

and by all means bring chicks na naka v-picks lang! lol

v-picks are fascinating

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2010, 12:37:20 PM »
Welcome to the v-pick club!!!  Our musicians in here are very diverse, we got jazz, rock, metal, prog, and they use v-picks. =)

Party na ito. hehe

Yehbah! But I sure hope they work out for me, I'm optimistic based on the literature. We have a very interesting motley bunch of users indeed.

Oh, and I have to blame aya for giving that extra push! When he texted me the pick libido sky-rocketed.

@shedmaestrobri-

chicks with v-picks... sounds like an interesting title for an adult flick  :-D

Ron Kirn

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »
Yehbah! But I sure hope they work out for me, I'm optimistic based on the literature. We have a very interesting motley bunch of users indeed.

Oh, and I have to blame aya for giving that extra push! When he texted me the pick libido sky-rocketed.

@shedmaestrobri-

chicks with v-picks... sounds like an interesting title for an adult flic:-D

tapos ang bida si chris haha!

Offline ibanezman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2010, 10:01:22 PM »
hahaha 

PM mo si Boosted. Chris Caldoza ang pangalan niya sa totoong buhay, Boosted dito sa Philmusic. Super bait yan, pogi pa... kaya nagiging rock star ang mga ex.  :-D :-P :-D

:mrgreen:

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2010, 07:29:29 AM »
tapos ang bida si chris haha!

Tapos rock star yung leading lady.  :-D

O, ayan, Chris, ha... effective ang sales talk ko kay Anton.  :mrgreen:

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2010, 10:00:02 AM »
hahaha! :))

i got his text re his impression on the picks.. last part ng message, "so far, im blown away"

see the v-picks blows! kulang na lang to make sandwich :))

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »

i got his text re his impression on the picks.. last part ng message, "so far, im blown away"

sexy

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »

Magandang pamagat yan ng adult movie niyo ni ____. Blow Me, V-Pick Baby, Blow Me.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2010, 08:49:38 AM »
Got more v-picks yesterday. Got the Tradition, the small pointed 1.5mm, medium pointed 2.75mm, and a Screamer. So far pinaka-trip ko yung medium pointed 2.75mm.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2010, 12:34:23 PM »
V-Pick Convert here!

Had the weekend to play around with the Medium and Large Rounded, and i love them.

My other picks, including the aforementioned, sound smaller. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Large at this point because it sounds like I upped my gauge tonally, and despite the hefty size the pick feels alot more agile than the regular stuff.

Also had a few people check my sanity over these picks. A cousin of mine came over & he too remarked that there was a very audible beefiness in the tone, and the picks practically just glide across the strings.

Attended a jam session last Saturday, and some of the guys in attendence also concluded that there was an audible change.

I had to work on the chirp when using high gain, but as suggested in the tips section of the v-pick site, a little change in the picking angle does reduce some chirp. The chirp is due to the materials effect on a vibrating string. No biggie for me.

I'm really enjoying these picks, and feel spoiled! When i go back to my usual stuff I feel like I'm lumberjacking the strings. My initial concern was, since I play with a hybrid pick-style, there might be a huge disconnect with my fingers vs the pick. The timbral change actually provided an nice variety to the sound, it was a welcome addition  :-)

Looks like I'm going to have to order 2 more! I'd like to try the medium pointed, and get another medium rounded. Rounded rules  :-) I can confidently say that the Large rounded has whetted my appetite and solved my dual pick issue. But i still want to explore!

In the future, it'll be the dimension series!

BTW- Aya was instrumental in pushing me off the cliff to score some! (Demmit, now I know! Bee-peek!)  :-D 

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »
I went to elegee for him to check on my capi (re-wire) but sadly no electricity. So i just hung out for awhile. I showed him the vpick. He tried it, minura niya ako, ayaw na raw niya yung pick niya. hahaha!!! Boosted please contact papi Jon soon. =)

heheheh... I owe Jon a visit, my maintenance is way overdue.

I've gone nuts:

I get home, fire up the amp and play with the friggin picks like a retard. I'd like to score (since its the most feasable due to the variety readily available) a small pointed, to hear how it fairs next to my old jazz IIIs. Still have a couple that I bought before they slightly changed the material, and there's an interesting bounce with the well-worn ones. Still, they sound like pebbles next to the boulder-toned v-picks!

I love the macho sound of the large rounded. instand heft on my bright guitar, i dig the medium rounded for my tele, it warms up the bridge nicely without killing the twang.

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
I wanted to get them small pointeds but they hurt my forearm which was really weird, tried all of the types which boosted gladly made me try, i ended up with them screamers. So i said goodbye to all of my jazzIII's. My whole stash.

I have a stash of jazz IIIs, just gonna keep them for the heck. A jazz II wandered into the pile, interesting pick.

Lemme try your screamers someday. how's the chirp with those?

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2010, 07:43:07 PM »
Just like you had to get used to a picking angle. but love the picks. less tension on the picking hand meaning i could play longer with a smile. =)

I like that, i had my "big dumb smile" moment  :-D

more galloping jejejejejejejejes!!!  :mrgreen:

Ron Kirn

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »
I tried a 2.75mm V-Pick this afternoon. Yes, Mico is right; it's somehow less strenuous for the right hand as compared to other picks. The pick just glides, yet produces a fat tone.

I also find it easier to do that "simulated wah-wah effect" with it.  :-D

V-Picks: Dax tested... Chuck Norris approved   :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, I'm no longer affiliated with TMS

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2010, 11:43:02 PM »
I tried a 2.75mm V-Pick this afternoon. Yes, Mico is right; it's somehow less strenuous for the right hand as compared to other picks. The pick just glides, yet produces a fat tone.

I also find it easier to do that "simulated wah-wah effect" with it.  :-D

V-Picks: Dax tested... Chuck Norris approved   :lol: :lol: :lol:

yun na! pa- V-cut ka naman!