hulika

Author Topic: feedback on Oscar Schmidt OG2N  (Read 9764 times)

Offline haringulan

feedback on Oscar Schmidt OG2N
« on: February 15, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »
hey guys,

does anybody here own an OS OG2N acoustic guitar?
i actually own one, but just wanted to check with other owners if:

-you had the action adjusted? first i got it it was really high, uncomfortably high.
-you are noticing any sustain issues? i am not sure if its just me, but even with new strings, i think (or i imagine) that its not as brilliant sounding as it should (brilliant might not be the right techie guitar term for what im noticing)
-you are overall satistified with your OS OG2N?

i havent really had much experience with acoustic guitars nor have i tried other OG2Ns to compare to.
i bought this guitar only because i was sold out on a review one of the villegas brothers wrote on a local mag.

thanks in advance!

-haring ulan

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 09:24:57 PM »
I have an OG2CE!  :mrgreen:
Lakas ko talaga manggulo...

Si Sir Al_Librero, owner siya ng OG2N. If he doesn't post in this thread soon, PM mo na lang.  :wink:

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 05:51:57 AM »
-you had the action adjusted? first i got it it was really high, uncomfortably high.

yes, after the end of the warranty period.

-you are noticing any sustain issues? i am not sure if its just me, but even with new strings, i think (or i imagine) that its not as brilliant sounding as it should (brilliant might not be the right techie guitar term for what im noticing)

not really. without seeing the guitar for myself, it could be anything, afaik.

-you are overall satistified with your OS OG2N?

considering how much i paid for one, definitely yes.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline double DC

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 09:14:31 AM »
I have one too.

Answers to your questions:

-No adjustments. I got it out of the box in a good set-up. Very low.
-NO sustain issues.
-I am very satisfied. Mura pati...

Magkano na ba ngayon ang OG2N? 2 years na kasi yung sa akin...

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 09:17:06 AM »
How much?

Offline haringulan

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 09:56:46 AM »
damn it!

i wish i found out about these forums before i took it to RJ and had the action adjusted.
it was better at first, but now im dealing with intonation and fret buzz problems.

also, i was able to compare it to a cheap ass cebu made guitar and i noticed how the OS isnt as "loud".

sigh...

Offline haringulan

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 09:58:41 AM »
Quote from: Machine_Head
How much?

i bought it nearly three years ago... around 7k i think? (dont quote me, i honestly cant remember na)
not sure... i'll swing by the store and check how much they go by today.

Offline Kulas

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 10:09:43 AM »
the wood of the guitar plays a big role in the tone and loudness of the guitar. well, shempre body size also. pero an all-solid wood acoustic may/will sound louder than a laminate dreadnought. i don't think there are solid-topped oscar schmidts being sold here yet. so talagang some dreadnought acoustics may sound louder/softer than others. so maganda if you'll invest in a solid-topped guitar like the ibanez, pf or artwood series. i don't think nagkakalayo sila ng presyo nung oscar schmidts. pero ikaw nga, make do with what you have, hehe. if it sounds good to you, then all's good, hehe.

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 10:34:04 AM »
There are Ibby acoustics that costs as much as the oscars? Currently we dont need an acoustic, but i foresee we'll be needing one sooner or later.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »
yung Ibanez V series ang katapat nung mga available na Oscar Schmidts. i'd pick an Oscar Schmidt any day. and yes, medyo malayo presyo nung mga ibang acoustic line ng Ibanez kesa sa Oscar Schmidt.

Offline Kulas

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 01:02:32 PM »
yung ibanez v series yung parang entry level nila diba? i've seen better fernando guitars, hehe. lumayo nalang ata ngayon yung presyo kasi i think nag-increase na sila ng prices. dati alam ko you can get an ibanez pf series dreadnought (solid top) for around 8k brand new. yung artwoods medyo mahal, mahina nang 10k dun. the prices play around the 12-15k range. ako i'd buy an ibanez anytime over a yamaha, hehe. pero shempre walang tatalo sa mga nippon gakki guitars ng yamaha. yun talaga ang da bomb, hehe.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 05:20:11 PM »
kulas, may solid-top acoustics na Oscar Schmidt dito. Yung akin. OG2CE.
I chose this over a Ibanez V70CE. The OS just had more value to it - package eh...at a slightly lower price than the V70CE itself.
But the tone...hmmm...not much of a difference. At least for me.

Artwood...hay...AW40ECE...yummy.
I might try one at AP Greenhills tomorrow.
19-20k...save up, save up...

(kulas, for some reason, we always meet at an acoustic thread  :lol: )

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 09:11:18 PM »
sorry. the OG2CE also has a plyboard top. "Select" is the term companies seem to use to make it seem more pleasant to prospect buyers.

Offline Kulas

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 01:46:12 AM »
sabi ko nga sayo red_strat, acoustic boy ako eh, hehe. been addicted to acoustics ever since i got my first applause guitar (which i thought was pretty cool at that time, hehe) that was around year 2000. then after that i've owned several acoustics, after the applause, i got an ovation celebrity cc057, then replaced that with an ovation celebrity deluxe, yung madaming butas, hehe. then got a deep bowl ovation, then sold both, got me a yamaha fgx-412, then i bought my jasmine from arie (which i still keep now) bought an ibanez aeg-10 thinline, which i sold to a friend then bought a 1975 morris dread. so now i only have the jasmine and the morris. the jasmine solid top, yung morris hindi ata. pero it sounds good parin, hehe. ngayon naman i'm beginning to explore the world of electrics, hehe. but acoustics will always be close to my heart, hehehe. andrama.

pre i checked the website of oscar schmidt, they feature "select" spruce tops. meaning they don't actually mean they're solid. pero they chose siguro the nicer looking grain spruce plyboard tops. unlike yung fgx-412 ko na ampanget ng grain ng spruce top nya, hehe. so yun pre, sorry to disappoint you. usually solid topped guitars feature an "S" with the model name. so a solid topped yamaha fgx-412 would be an fgx-412"S". my jasmine is an s80"S". but the "S" doesn't apply to all, hehe.

ok lang yan pre, if you're satisfied with the tone, looks and playability of your guitar, it becomes more precious than any solid wood acoustics out there, hehe. kanya-kanyang tastes lang yan, hehe. pero in the long run, go hunt a solid topped acoustic guitar. better if you buy one second hand, at least kahit papano it had been "played in". so konting time nalang for you to reach the full potential of the solid top, hehe.

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 09:47:53 AM »
Sirs, pardon the ignorance. Acoustic guitars have hollow bodies right? So how can it be solid top? Does it mean its not made of plywood?

Thanks.

Offline 16track

• Netizen Level
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 11:36:49 AM »
Machine head:

If I may be allowed to reply...

Parts wise, Hollow body guitars have the back, sides and top. The top is the part of the body where the soundhole is located and which also  holds the bridge and the tailpiece.

The top of an acoustic is very important as this is the part of the guitar that literally vibrates as a result of the strings being hit and moves the air inside the guitar. Such movement equates to producing sound. Solid Tops are the more expensive kind as they vibrate more freely--due to their density and solid nature-- thus producing a louder and clearer sound than the laminated ones.

Laminated wood--which is also called Plywood is composed of thin layers of wood plied on top of each other. This type of wood is not as dense as the solid tops and also do not vibrate as freely. The sound they produce is not as good as the solid ones.

However, this does not mean at all  that laminated tops are bad sounding. Many of them are actually considered good-- such as the laminated series from Martin. However, when compared side by side-- solid tops rule!

Some young people are not aware of how much the tops affect the sound of their guitars so they adorn their axes with stickers or some weird paint jobs. What they do not relaize is that such stickers and other adornments only dampen the tops and prevent it from vibrating as freely as it should.

A simple way to check if your acoustic has a solid top or a laminated top is:

1. Hold your guitar sideways and stare at the soundhole sideways.
2. Check the sides of the hole for ply(s) or lamination.
3. Solid tops will be just that... solid. Even with paint this is clearly visible.
4. Laminated tops will have layers. Also visible even with paint.

Regards!
 :D  

Quote from: Machine_Head
Sirs, pardon the ignorance. Acoustic guitars have hollow bodies right? So how can it be solid top? Does it mean its not made of plywood?

Thanks.
Child of the Blues!

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 01:50:37 PM »
A little disappointing to find out na "select" spruce top ang OG2CE.
Anyway, it sounds, looks good to me.  :twisted:
Mahal ko 'to!

Magaling na ang marketing strategies ngayon...may "select" pang nalalaman.  :lol:

Offline Kulas

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 03:13:41 PM »
very well said 16track...

yup, if solid tops are nice, pre you have to try the all solid wood acoustics. meaning hindi lang yung top yung made of solid wood, pati yung back and sides nya solid din. yun ang panalo, hehe. pero usualy those guitars mahal na, hehehe. mahina ang 20++k for those guitars, and i don't think there are any distributors of all solid wood acoustics here. hayy...

Offline haringulan

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 12:11:27 PM »
thanks for the reply guys... informative.

ok, i heard of some acoustic guitar owners installing pick ups, there are no controls on the ones i was told so most of the tweaking is done on the amp.

is this something you guys would recommend me doing to my OS (after i have the intonation and action fixed that is), installing a pick up?

slap me on the wrist here before i do something stupid again.

thanks,

haring ulan

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 12:42:06 PM »
hey, it's your guitar. do what you want.  :wink:

install pickups if it suits your needs. kahit soundhole pickup puwede rin para non-invasive yung modification.

Offline Kulas

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 12:51:20 PM »
ako i had a saddle transducer installed on my jasmine. it's an l.r. baggs ribbon transducer i bought in sounds good (when it was still there in virramall, hehe. ngayon wala nang sounds good, pati virramall wala narin, hehe iba na.) i had it installed by arie along with the general setup of the guitar and replaced the saddle & nut with bone. yung ribbon transducer ko walang controls yun on the body, and the output is on the endpin, meaning if you didn't know how to look, you'd think acoustic lang yung gitara ko, hehe. good for purists, hehe. and after that, nagpabili ako ng l.r. baggs para acoustic d.i. sa states. the d.i. box has the gain, volume controls, 3 band e.q., midrange frequency, notch filter and phase invert. it also has a low-z balanced xlr output and a separate hi-z pl output. you can actually use both at the same time, hehehe. so yun, all my controld for the acoustic are outboard. oks din, hehe. ganda ng tunog.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 04:41:50 PM »
:D I think I saw a "clippable" soundhole pickup at Audiophile.
Seymour Duncan ata? Parang wala nang screws or whatever. Clip lang.