hulika

Author Topic: REVIEW: MI AUDIO CRUNCHBOX VS CGI ELECTRONICS-made BSIAB2 with mods  (Read 4102 times)

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
hey guise. this is a review of the two pedals i have on the subject. im really sorry if i dont have a video review of it (it doesnt do it justice anyway. they sound alike.)

the equipment:

rockstar les paul
marshall mg series ss amp 30w
CBox
BSIAB

the first pedal i tried was the crunchbox. im used to this box. it has all the marshall goodness i could ever want in a pedal. high gain anyway. this has more gain than what i actually need in a pedal so i dont always use the gain at full. it sounds great, zero noise and tight over all. im sure crunchbox owners know what im talking about. a while back i a/bed the box against an egnater tourmaster all tube combo. i commented that the crunchbox is a tad fizzy and lacks the character and "feel" of a tube amp. so from then on, i was gassing for a tube amp. when my funds couldnt really get me so far, i remembered my old bsiab the first one that christer built. i didnt really like the way it was muddy, but that was because of MY design flaw as i really asked too much from that pedal. i had a little extra cash so i decided to get another bsiab from christer. this time, ALONE. i remembered the bsiab really had that "sticky" feel to it that i liked and MISSED in the crunchbox. sure the crunchbox sounded marshally but it didnt really feel like one. i still felt like i was using a box

when the bsiab arrived i tested it right away. but i didnt a/b it right away so my ears could get used to one sound. the first thing i realized is that IT SOUNDED DIFFERENT from my first bsiab. proof that my idea just had too much going on and there wasnt enough time to fine tune the pedal. it sounded tight, crisp and flowing with mid goodness that screams MARSHALL at me. the stickyness of the notes was there. and it felt so natural. it was fun playing with it again. and yes. i missed that "sustain to feedback" thing that my old box used to do. sarap nun.

today i a/bed the crunchbox and the bsiab. testing time was around 3 hours. first i tried the bsiab and well, i since gotten used to the feel. when i switched back to the crunchbox, it sounded different. well, it was HEAVIER thats for sure. it was chuggy and it had a fat a$$ if you know what i mean. but i also noticed something: the crunchbox sounded SCOOPED compared to the bsiab. like i said the bsiab was overflowing with mids. when i switched back and forth, it became evident that the crunchbox was a little scooped. not scooped to death that every note is indistinct and fizzy. just right for modern sounds. sounds like a jcm800. the bsiab sounds like a really boosted vintage marshall.

in terms of feel, i liked the bsiab for leads better because of its sticky feel. but there was a little lack of low end in the bsiab and its not as tight as the crunchbox. the cb was better for metal rhythm and all that. but for solos, i find it a bit lacking in the feel department. the bsiab seemed more natural to me than the crunchbox.

in terms of cleaning up, the bsiab wins. it has less gain and therefore is easier to clean up than the crunchbox. but i also noticed that at the not-so-high gain settings, the crunchbox still doesnt really clean up that well compared to the bsiab.

the verdict? these are two different boxes claming to have gotten the  "marshall in the box". BUT these two boxes model two DIFFERENT marshall models. so, Crunchbox is to JCM800 as BSIAB2 is to a really driven vintage marshall. the bsiab has a more "tubey" feel.

well that ends my little review.

i have a vid of the bsiab up. but i couldnt post it in youtube because it always fails.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3fqeml0a9xx

its a short clip of me playing some hardcore/metal riffs. the gain was around 4 o clock and everything else in unity. i also had the treble and mid boost mods switched on.

Offline humbucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
so the BSIAB isn't recommended for metal riffs?

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
^^^ unless you have a very good palm muting technique. it isnt the "chug anywhere" type of pedal. it cant do brutal death metal. but old school metal, thrash and swedish metal riffs are ok. i found a way to control the tightness by changing my muting technique: something i really didnt care about doing before.

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus
very informative review sir paengkee... this really helped me a lot in deciding on whether to go for the bsiab or the crunchbox...  :-)

[

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
nice review, man. now i really want to have my bsiab modded to that next generation sound.

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
geez after ten years the download finally finished. haha na frustrate ako kasi akala ko mahaba yun pala 35 seconds lang.

i loved the tone man! i wish you could've added a part where the gain is a bit less. ehehe

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus

great review sir.

i have tried the BSIAB for myself (being CGI's crash test dummy) and I think its perfect for my kind of style of palm muting and low string riffing (A#) and yes I would agree its not metal enough for modern agressive metal.

A slight booster then an EQ after the chain makes it sound more brutal though.

+10 sa review!
This is a forum siggy.

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
hmmm
parang the way you described it parang
crunchbox = jcm800 = shredmaster
bsiab = drivemaster

hehehe
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
Wow thanks for the in depth review. Although i am flattered that you pitted it against a popular boutique pedal, i am thankful that you did so because it comes from a customer's point of view.

imagine how i would be crucified, if i came up with the review, knowing that i built the pedal. :-D
Spread the Sound of the South!!!
facebook.com/christerisulat
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wow thanks for the in depth review. Although i am flattered that you pitted it against a popular boutique pedal, i am thankful that you did so because it comes from a customer's point of view.

imagine how i would be crucified, if i came up with the review, knowing that i built the pedal. :-D

paps based on that review, and my own opinion on the BSIAB I have a killer idea.

YM buzz me hehehehe.
This is a forum siggy.

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: REVIEW: MI AUDIO CRUNCHBOX VS CGI ELECTRONICS-made BSIAB2 with mods
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »

i never made claims of which is the better pedal anyway. they came out pretty even with each having a unique voice. though due to my budget plan, i am forced to sell the crunchbox. haha i really need to pay for my new guitar and go for  "all pinoy made gear" before the whole malaysia tour thing.

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »
i never made claims of which is the better pedal anyway. they came out pretty even with each having a unique voice. though due to my budget plan, i am forced to sell the crunchbox. haha i really need to pay for my new guitar and go for  "all pinoy made gear" before the whole malaysia tour thing.

OT: baka pwede mag PA ser hehehehe :D joke

This is a forum siggy.

Offline oloc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 11:09:29 AM »

the verdict? these are two different boxes claming to have gotten the  "marshall in the box". BUT these two boxes model two DIFFERENT marshall models. so, Crunchbox is to JCM800 as BSIAB2 is to a really driven vintage marshall. the bsiab has a more "tubey" feel.

what "vintage marshall?"  kindly correct me if im wrong but some people refers to the '83 JCM800 as vintage too...

im a fan of crunchbox, nice little pedal..very few component count. i also love BSIAB2 when i tested sir TGIW's build. But being able to use these pedals side by side with real tube amps (including a good plexi clone and a Hiwatt), parang canned sisig vs. pampanga's real sisig ang comparison...  :|

Offline alvin_ching5786

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 11:16:42 AM »
eto guys mjo OT pero curious lng ako, can the sansamp gt2's british mode match up with the crunchbox? :mrgreen:

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 12:33:25 PM »
what "vintage marshall?"  kindly correct me if im wrong but some people refers to the '83 JCM800 as vintage too...

im a fan of crunchbox, nice little pedal..very few component count. i also love BSIAB2 when i tested sir TGIW's build. But being able to use these pedals side by side with real tube amps (including a good plexi clone and a Hiwatt), parang canned sisig vs. pampanga's real sisig ang comparison...  :|

Rule number 1, never compare a tube amp from a pedal. (no explanations needed)

eto guys mjo OT pero curious lng ako, can the sansamp gt2's british mode match up with the crunchbox? :mrgreen:

Although i also build sansamp gt-2 clones, i like it on the tweed modes (clean-ish sound). For the distortion (marshall and mesa modes) i really dont like it at all. thats why if people ask me to build them  gt-2 clones, i always ask them if they will use it for marshall-ish distorton purposes, because if so i would always point them to the BSIAB which is cheaper and IMO, sounds waaaaaayy better than the gt-2 (clone).

The gt-2 first of all is very picky when it comes to the pedals that goes along with it. (it sucks so bad when a Tube Screamer is placed before or after it)

Second, at high gain, i percieve the distorted sounds to be fake or cold, although the thing is purely analog.

Like i said earlier, i love the GT-2 on the clean mode (tweed), but not its distortion section.
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 06:16:46 PM »
Definitely the second generation BSIAB's (yours being the first of its kind). That is my personal workhorse eversince.

Although i am planning to ditch my Triple Threat pedal to be replaced by a 5 knobbed BSIAB+TS+ Clean Boost.
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 10:35:25 PM »
i liek the sound of the first gen better than the 2nd gen. though mine is a proper build than the first bsiab i had. i like the old one better. the 2nd gen is for van halen stuff hehe. :D

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 03:03:52 AM »
i liek the sound of the first gen better than the 2nd gen. though mine is a proper build than the first bsiab i had. i like the old one better. the 2nd gen is for van halen stuff hehe. :D

For your pedal, flick both switches down, that is the 1st generation sound. Flick both switches up and you got yourself the 2nd generation sound. Enjoy!
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »
^^^ yeah both switches down is my fave. if both up, van halen territory na.

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 03:23:09 PM »
hey guys. its been a month since i got my pedal.

what can i say, its an awesome sounding pedal and i found its sweet spot talaga. it really cuts through the mix and i adjusted my techniques a bit. the crunchbox sounded like "chak chak chak chak" when i mute it but the bsiab has this "woofy" tone to it when i mute. i dunno how to describe it but even at low gain, this thing has balls, growl and bite.

one thing i didnt really like is that wala siyang battery clip. haha. yun lang. mapapagastos tuloy ako sa psu dahil dito eh haha.

although i am going to need another pedal for super metal sludgy stuff. i think im gonna save up for a boogey. our other guitarist sa band has one and i loved it for really downtuned metal stuff. but for cutting punk/hardcore riffs, bsiab pa rin :D

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 05:39:57 PM »
nice review!  :-D
also planning to get a high gain distortion  :-D