hulika

Author Topic: Squier Affinity Telecaster Locking Tuners: Help  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
Squier Affinity Telecaster Locking Tuners: Help
« on: June 26, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »
I received my Affinity Tele last Friday and I bought it with the intention of making it a test bed for upgrades and mods.
What I've replaced so far:
- Graphtech TUSQ XL nut black
- Reverse control plate mod
- CTS pots, CRL USA 3 way switch with strat tip, Switchcraft jack, treble bleed, vintage cloth wires
- GFS Overwound Repro Vintage Alnico Pickups

The next thing on my list is locking tuners.
After reading in other forums, I couldn't find any drop in replacement because of the holes size in the Affinity.
My question is for those who have tried the same mod on an Affinity Tele, which locking tuners have you used and how easy/difficult was it?
Personally, I'm leaning towards vintage locking tuners and if possible the same ones I used on my CV 60s strat which is the Gotoh SD91-MG.

Any help would be appreciated. By the way I like locking tuners because it holds tune well and it's a breeze to change strings

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Squier Affinity Telecaster Locking Tuners: Help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 03:27:34 PM »
Use a reamer to enlarge the tuner mounting holes... Allparts locking tuners work fine cat# TK-7574-010

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »
Use a reamer to enlarge the tuner mounting holes... Allparts locking tuners work fine cat# TK-7574-010

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean you used Allparts locking tuners but had to enlarge the holes to fit them?

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:22:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean you used Allparts locking tuners but had to enlarge the holes to fit them?

Up to you if you buy used or brand new... Yes enlarge the holes first before fitting those tuners in

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
in my experience, I once had a set of original Gotoh Kluson/vintage style locking tuners installed into my Squier Standard Tele.

I remember that the Gotoh set came with conversion bushings (aside from the vintage bushings) so you can retrofit the kluson style tuners into the tiny holes for the stock tuners on Squiers and they fit nicely into the headstock. it looked clean and and the tuners were very stable.

not so sure if the Affinities have the same tuners as the Standards, but I would assume they would be the same. So I hope this helps.

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 05:09:13 PM »
Up to you if you buy used or brand new... Yes enlarge the holes first before fitting those tuners in

I see. Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to stir clear of tuners that would require me to enlarge the holes though  :-D

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 05:11:13 PM »
in my experience, I once had a set of original Gotoh Kluson/vintage style locking tuners installed into my Squier Standard Tele.

I remember that the Gotoh set came with conversion bushings (aside from the vintage bushings) so you can retrofit the kluson style tuners into the tiny holes for the stock tuners on Squiers and they fit nicely into the headstock. it looked clean and and the tuners were very stable.

not so sure if the Affinities have the same tuners as the Standards, but I would assume they would be the same. So I hope this helps.

I used Gotoh SD91-MG vintage locking tuners on my Classic Vibe Strat which was perfect because the holes match, I remember that there was an extra set of bushings that came along with it though I'm not sure if they 10mm or smaller. I'd have to check when I get home
Thanks!