hulika

Author Topic: Anyone know how to make an album?  (Read 7098 times)

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
Anyone know how to make an album?
« on: June 08, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
I need help on what are the things needed to do in order to make an album. After the recording process, I am totally oblivious on what is next, what to do and how to do it like the cd production, album art, etc. :cry:
I would greatly appreciate any input given by our lovely forum :wink:
Psalm 119:105
Colossians 2:8
"We love because he first loved us." - 1 John 4:19

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Anyone know how to make an album?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
I need help on what are the things needed to do in order to make an album. After the recording process, I am totally oblivious on what is next, what to do and how to do it like the cd production, album art, etc. :cry:
I would greatly appreciate any input given by our lovely forum :wink:

if you're signed to a label, your label will help you. but basically they woud be an agent to what you'd do if you were indie anyway, that is,

if you're indie, it's time to talk to suppliers and distributors.
find suppliers who will burn (and maybe label) your CDs, jewel cases, printers for the CD labels and inserts, packaging (the shrink wrap/envelope). If you can afford/find those paper CD cases, that's cool too, one step na lang yung case and labels and inserts. Find an artist/designer to do your artwork/cover design AFTER you decide on what kind of packaging to use (because layout is important and your artist/designer will hate you). Or you can do it on your own and get templates from your printer/supplier. After you produce your CD, call up distributors and shops. Ask for consignment deals.

OR you can do half the above step and produce CDs, but just bring them to gigs and stuff, and upload the whole shebang to iTunes and Spotify. There are services like CDBaby who help you get them on these online services, plus they also provide made to order CDs for your international clients/fans.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:37:14 AM »
if you're signed to a label, your label will help you. but basically they woud be an agent to what you'd do if you were indie anyway, that is,

if you're indie, it's time to talk to suppliers and distributors.
find suppliers who will burn (and maybe label) your CDs, jewel cases, printers for the CD labels and inserts, packaging (the shrink wrap/envelope). If you can afford/find those paper CD cases, that's cool too, one step na lang yung case and labels and inserts. Find an artist/designer to do your artwork/cover design AFTER you decide on what kind of packaging to use (because layout is important and your artist/designer will hate you). Or you can do it on your own and get templates from your printer/supplier. After you produce your CD, call up distributors and shops. Ask for consignment deals.

OR you can do half the above step and produce CDs, but just bring them to gigs and stuff, and upload the whole shebang to iTunes and Spotify. There are services like CDBaby who help you get them on these online services, plus they also provide made to order CDs for your international clients/fans.
thanks for this sir. Is the label necessary? I was aiming for a purely d.i.y. release and was hoping that production would be as much as possible d.i.y. if possible. Any other tips sir? :mrgreen:
Psalm 119:105
Colossians 2:8
"We love because he first loved us." - 1 John 4:19

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:52:11 AM »
thanks for this sir. Is the label necessary? I was aiming for a purely d.i.y. release and was hoping that production would be as much as possible d.i.y. if possible. Any other tips sir? :mrgreen:

ah yung sumabak sa isang music label hindi kailangan yan! yung label in the simplest sense parang agent lang yan, or a middle man that represents your band and others sa mga prod, distributors at suppliers. you can totally be independent and still pull it off. I remember getting the last release of Kjwan's CD, tapos yung stock nun kailangan mo hingin dun sa kahera ng Astroplus kasi wala sya sa mga shelf. Indie to the max.

Yung banda naman nina ralph sobrang DIY talaga. yung EP nila literal mga CDR tapos may white na sticker label tapos may stamp lang ng logo ng banda nila. yung case? cardboard stock na may print over ng album art at liner notes, folded over, dinikitan sa gitna ng square na rubber na parang sa tsinelas yung material tapos dun nilagay  yung CD, tapos nilagay sa envelope na kulay blue glitter at may sticker ng band logo pang seal, tapos binenta sa gig. DIY to the max!

At the top of my head, kung low volume lang naman (less than 1,000 units) ang first release, try nyo maghanap ng supplier ng CDs na sila din magduduplicate at magpprint ng CD design. tapos cost analysis na lang, kung mas mura bumili ng sandamakmak na CDR sa CDR King tapos ikaw ang magbburn at magpprint ng label mismo at magdidikit, kasma nung cost ng jewel case. Yung inserts mismo I think mas maganda na ipa-print nyo sa legit na print shop para naman may polish.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 11:26:56 PM »
Either sign in to a record label or sign in to Bandcamp.

Choose an artwork that will look good in B&W if you want the D.i.y. photocopy method. Usually there are lots of people in the underground scene willing to help - ung mga hindi musikero pero active din at gustong tumulong sa music scene.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:39:38 AM by samuelfianza »

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
may mga copies ako ng indie artists albums na para dumami yung copies nung cover pina-photocopy na lang at ginupit kesa ipa-print pa ng colored na mas mahal ang cost.

kung starters recommended talaga na you do it in the most money-saving way. dun ka muna mag invest ng time at money sa recording at timplahan.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline iamppej

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 08:05:05 AM »
may mga copies ako ng indie artists albums na para dumami yung copies nung cover pina-photocopy na lang at ginupit kesa ipa-print pa ng colored na mas mahal ang cost.

kung starters recommended talaga na you do it in the most money-saving way. dun ka muna mag invest ng time at money sa recording at timplahan.

tama. medyo mahal kasi ang mastering ee. lalo na pag kilalang tao ang mag master. pero the outcome. kaboom talga.
If there is no music there is no life!  Just like If there is no GOD there is no LIFE!