hulika

Author Topic: Sad bastard music. hate 'em or love 'em?  (Read 11899 times)

Offline otistikako

Sad bastard music. hate 'em or love 'em?
« on: December 03, 2006, 04:55:09 PM »
Death Cab for Cutie, Damien Rice, Elliott Smith, Badly Drawn Boy, Coldplay, Belle and Sebastian, The Doves, The Smiths, Jeff Buckley, Blue Eyes, The Sundays, Nick Drake, british mope music, guitar-folk, melancholia pop, jangly sweet music, everything that recalls RAINY DAY BALLADRY and SOFT SPOT music.

what do you think of 'em? any favorites?
All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Sad bastard music. hate 'em or love 'em?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 05:50:40 PM »
The Smiths! That's pretty mopey.

Offline p4wnkb0i

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 06:22:25 PM »
madaling namatay ang term na ito alam ko coldplay at travis lang mga banda na unang natawagan nito e, pwede ring keane, pero yung ibang tinype mo either alt rock or indie lang yan,

props: j buckley

Offline MikEh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 08:11:09 PM »
franz ferdinand? idunno...

Offline otistikako

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:13:22 AM »
madaling namatay ang term na ito alam ko coldplay at travis lang mga banda na unang natawagan nito e, pwede ring keane, pero yung ibang tinype mo either alt rock or indie lang yan,

props: j buckley

sad bastard music isn't exactly a genre. It's just moody guitar-pop with evocative emotions. Usually it covers up any music form ranging from twee-folk, britpop, indie pop or anything with strains of Morrisey and twangy-inspired pop songs.

it's those songs chirply played on sad, teenage flicks and movie series. or your latest LSS to exes and loved ones. Just plain romantic, and ok - as gay as your three minute emo song, but definitely not whiny and loud.

All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline otistikako

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:17:32 AM »
franz ferdinand? idunno...

franz is more of disco-punk, or jagged brit-rock. I dunno, i don't listen to their albums except for a few songs. Maybe there's some slow songs on the album that you can categorically call sad bastard music.
All these accidents,
That happen,

Offline Shocktherapy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 09:39:42 PM »
I loved the new Elliott Smith album, Belle and Sebastian are pretty good, and Badly Drawn Boy and Coldplay are pretty good. As long as the music is emotional without being whiny or annoying I definitely have no problem with it.

I don't really think some of this music is "mopey", though. Just mellow.

Franz Ferdinand is definitely not sad music. It's just guitar rock kind of like the Strokes but neither are as loud as The Hives. That's history, folks!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:41:24 PM by Shocktherapy »

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 12:12:50 AM »

i like the Cure... di sila kasali?

Offline otistikako

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 05:15:24 PM »

i like the Cure... di sila kasali?

Yeah, definitely. but most of the songs are way too gloomy, a cross between new wave and goth.
All these accidents,
That happen,

Offline otistikako

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 05:17:50 PM »
I loved the new Elliott Smith album, Belle and Sebastian are pretty good, and Badly Drawn Boy and Coldplay are pretty good. As long as the music is emotional without being whiny or annoying I definitely have no problem with it.

I don't really think some of this music is "mopey", though. Just mellow.

Franz Ferdinand is definitely not sad music. It's just guitar rock kind of like the Strokes but neither are as loud as The Hives. That's history, folks!

Great. Well I've read somewhere the Entertainment broadsheet that Anne Curtis is very much interested with the "sad bastard" particularly the likes of Nick Drake, Death Cab and Elliott Smith.

Hey howe about Aimee Mann? or Sinnead O' Connor.  :lol:

All these accidents,
That happen,

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 04:02:23 AM »
Coldplay's Parachutes album never gets off from my personal playlist.