hulika

Author Topic: Joe Satriani's new album...  (Read 1877 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Joe Satriani's new album...
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:01:20 PM »
According to a new interview with Joe Satriani, his new album's guitars were completely done without a mic and cab. the signal is as follows:

Peavey JSX head - Palmer Speaker Sim - Millenia SST-1 - Pro Tools HD at 96 sampling rate for the entire recording process. Effects were added either through the use of pedals or Lexicon rack effects.

The guitars sound pretty solid. Joe mixed the album himself, and passed on his finished guitar tracks to 2 other drummers who worked on the album at separate studios in the US and in Canada. The Recording mag issue also includes an interview with Paul Gilbert who is currently promoting his new record. PG, is an amp and mic guy so he shares his methods of recording in the issue as well.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Joe Satriani's new album...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:38:15 PM »
Millenia SST1? abbys is that a mic pre? i know TD1 and the HV3 series on the pres and TCL2 on the compressor.. :roll:
BTW did u hear the album??
Music is art in sound...

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 03:29:06 PM »
According to a new interview with Joe Satriani, his new album's guitars were completely done without a mic and cab. the signal is as follows:

Peavey JSX head - Palmer Speaker Sim - Millenia SST-1 - Pro Tools HD at 96 sampling rate for the entire recording process. Effects were added either through the use of pedals or Lexicon rack effects.

The guitars sound pretty solid. Joe mixed the album himself, and passed on his finished guitar tracks to 2 other drummers who worked on the album at separate studios in the US and in Canada. The Recording mag issue also includes an interview with Paul Gilbert who is currently promoting his new record. PG, is an amp and mic guy so he shares his methods of recording in the issue as well.

Woah. :-o And i thought he used 3 or more mics for it. I saw the drummer's setup once. He used hell a lot of mics. So i though Joe would do the same too.hehe

I think that's his best tone yet. :mrgreen:
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 05:32:25 PM »
what new album?
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 05:21:55 AM »
Millenia SST1? abbys is that a mic pre? i know TD1 and the HV3 series on the pres and TCL2 on the compressor.. :roll:
BTW did u hear the album??

Baldo, yeah, its a mic pre..an all in one box of sorts actually. a nice one at that. I don't normally see a lot of them but Millennia makes really nice stuff.

@Mark: Yeah, I knew he used the Palmer amp speaker sim a lot but I didn't know he would go all out and not use mics at all. I was suprised to see he went completely straight to disk with his new material which sounds awesomely warm. Satch reports that the only thing he didn't do was drums, otherwise, all the guitars and synth stuff (with a Korg triton) was done at his home studio. He also recommended taking a light role at the mixing stage since he knew he wasn't mixing in an acoustically correct room. So, he tried to get the guitars as well as he could and mixed as he went during the drums sessions which were all done at professional studios.

@Al: Satch's latest album is called Super Colossal.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 05:56:09 AM »
oh, that one.  :-D
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com