hulika

Author Topic: KICK PEDAL SQUEAKING  (Read 2526 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
KICK PEDAL SQUEAKING
« on: May 01, 2007, 01:19:20 PM »
Guys/ Gals anyone experienced recording that annoying sound of the kick pedal squeaking or that chain movement that generates some kind of noise.. how do you fix or remove that annoying noise? The strange thing about it is i don't even mic a kick drum because I DON'T HAVE ONE..i use electronic triggers for the kick.. the noise is picked up by the overheads.. :x.. So i am more intrigued by people who mic their kick drums and if they hear the same noise i am hearing...  :-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: KICK PEDAL SQUEAKING
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 01:58:53 PM »
buy a new one! dami ka namang pera eh!

diba boss kit?

hehehhee
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 03:01:21 PM »
Jepoy
actually it is a NEW TAMA kick pedal.. :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:28:29 PM »
WD-40.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 03:31:25 PM »
Iron Cobra?

belted or chained?

pics pls on highlight where exactly is the squeaking sounds.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »
Jepoy.. iron cobra na chained.. mahirap ma pinpoint kung saan galing yung noise eh..tingin ko sa main shaft ng kinakabitan ng beater malamang dun galing..kitC i was thinking more of " GREASE" kesa sa WD40 hehehe.. hindi kaya magtalsikan yung grease/oil sa kick pad?? me sensor pa naman yung kick pad.. :-(
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 05:31:38 PM »
Tongue-in-cheek lang naman reaction ko, Baldo, pero I was thinking if a teflon based grease would be better. In some cases, machine oil works better for axles and hinges, wag lang motor oil (SAE 40?  :-D ). YMMV.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 11:43:14 PM »
Baldo, when I was using an Iron Cobra, I used silicon based grease available for toy model RC cars. I picked a tube up at my local hobby shop and coated the chain axle of the pedal housing with it. However, since I made the jump to Axis pedals, I haven't had a need to grease coat the mechanism since it is much quieter than the Cobra. Hope this helps.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 09:49:36 AM »
ok thanks mga dudes..i try ko and i will let you know kung ok nga yung grease.. 8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 11:04:52 AM »

if it doesnt work, you can sell it to me... hehehehe....

im serious

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 04:42:59 PM »
What surface is the pedal mounted on? It could be the plate scratching over the floor's surface.

If it is indeed the kick squeaking, hayaan mo na, John Bonham did make a lot of pedal squeaks.   :-D

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 04:54:06 PM »
Skunky the floor is actually rubber mats like those used in gyms..maybe tomorrow i will try either silicone based grease or just plain grease..i just found out a better way to record the hi hat and cymbals thru the Focusrite ISA 428.. its because of the filter knob which of course FILTERS low frequency sound.  :-D.. accidentally found out while trying to record the snare..
OT na ito..
kitC thanks nga pala..i almost gave away that CAD Equitek II.. with the Grace as mic pre, it sounds Close to a U87  :-)..thats with the low pass filter engaged .. o bingi lang ako.. hindi kaya???  :?
Music is art in sound...

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 07:23:45 PM »
punta ka sa motorcycle shops...hanap kang chain lubricant...teflon based mga yan...walang talsik...we use that type of oil sa chains para di tumalsik ang oil sa gulong which is dangerous...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 01:07:16 AM »
OT na ito..
kitC thanks nga pala..i almost gave away that CAD Equitek II.. with the Grace as mic pre, it sounds Close to a U87  :-)..thats with the low pass filter engaged .. o bingi lang ako.. hindi kaya???  :?

OT din:
Low pass? Or do you mean low cut (high pass)?  :? 

It's insensitivity to high frequencies that's usually the first signs of hearing damage. If you know of someone with a hearing aid, check it out (you don't have to wear it because you can really it at a 12" distance), you will find it's mostly mid to high frequencies, no bass at all.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 01:22:45 AM »
OT na ito..

OT din:
Low pass? Or do you mean low cut (high pass)?  :? 

It's insensitivity to high frequencies that's usually the first signs of hearing damage. If you know of someone with a hearing aid, check it out (you don't have to wear it because you can really it at a 12" distance), you will find it's mostly mid to high frequencies, no bass at all.

OT supplement:

i've never had to deal with squeaky pedals but it would make sense that the low pass filter would be engaged. low pass (aka hi cut, treble attenuation, treble cut and a few other names...) basically lets BALDO tweak off the offending tweaking from his mix. just make sure to set the cutoff frequency shy of hearing the squeaking, otherwise, you might loose too much of the high freqs in your drums. Now, I don't know if there is a significant tradeoff between the dynamics of the drums in his case but this would be one way to lop off ambient high pitched noises like the stuff coming from fans and amp hiss, to name a few. Still, make sure to hunt down that silicone grease. EQing to get rid of mechanical noise might present some tradeoffs to make your kick as less lively as you want it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:23:47 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 01:28:58 AM »
Yeah, abyss. But it's very rare to find a mic with a low pass switch; I often find them on channel strips, some mic pres and mixers . It's usually low cut that's found on most mics so that you can attenuate rumble and handling noise.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 01:39:43 AM »
Yeah, abyss. But it's very rare to find a mic with a low pass switch; I often find them on channel strips, some mic pres and mixers . It's usually low cut that's found on most mics so that you can attenuate rumble and handling noise.

oh! i thought you were talking about the channel strip/ pre:) i didn't think you were talking about the Equitek.

i don't think i've ever seen a mic with a low pass filter. a bass roll-off, sure, but you are right on the low pass filter not being very common on mics.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »
IMO your TAMA IC is defective. its really impossible for an IC to get a squeaking sound. 2 of my friends  own a TAMA IC and they said your peds shouldnt create those squeking sounds.

try to bring it back where u bought it... maybe they'll have some answers

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 10:58:54 AM »
IMO your TAMA IC is defective. its really impossible for an IC to get a squeaking sound. 2 of my friends  own a TAMA IC and they said your peds shouldnt create those squeking sounds.

try to bring it back where u bought it... maybe they'll have some answers

+1.  These pedals are supposed to be as silent as not playing them...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »
Guys i just figured out what causing the squeaks.. it turned out medyo maluwag lang yung hex nut.. no need for the GREASE hehehe.. i took the time to test every linkage, chain and shaft and finally found the source..anyway thanks to you guys..problem solved!
ps
the source of the noise is the clamp that holds the beater.. if not tight enough, it creates that nasty noise..  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 01:21:21 PM »
lol

user este owner error pala hahaha

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 01:29:20 PM »