hulika

Author Topic: HELP re: rackmount preamps in gigs  (Read 1728 times)

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
HELP re: rackmount preamps in gigs
« on: April 20, 2007, 07:35:06 PM »
mga kapwa musikero, hehe.. magtatanong lang ako kung posible at maganda ba na gamitin ang isang rackmount preamp sa normal na gig? ano ibig sabihin ng normal na gig: yung mga amp eh tipong marshall na 30 or 60 watts na solid state.. tapos kadalasan, wla pang loop. practical ba yun? or dapat bang bmili pa ako ng power amp/cab para sa rackmount preamp? thanks a! :)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: HELP re: rackmount preamps in gigs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:21:36 PM »
mga kapwa musikero, hehe.. magtatanong lang ako kung posible at maganda ba na gamitin ang isang rackmount preamp sa normal na gig? ano ibig sabihin ng normal na gig: yung mga amp eh tipong marshall na 30 or 60 watts na solid state.. tapos kadalasan, wla pang loop. practical ba yun? or dapat bang bmili pa ako ng power amp/cab para sa rackmount preamp? thanks a! :)

usually, preamps need a power amp section to drive it UNLESS the preamp was designed to be able to stand alone and all you have to do is add a cab or pipe it straight into the PA/board at the venue. you will have to check with the manufacturer of the preamps you are looking into getting. Stand-alone units like the Sansamp PSA1 and the Line 6 rackmount guitar bass units can be used with or without a cab.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 11:25:23 PM »
oh i see. hmmm.. have you ever used an ADA MP-1 tube preamp rack unit? does it require a power amp section to function appropriately?

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:33:15 PM »
makikiraan lang po...

ot:
oist greg, kelan ka pumunta ng Laguna para kunin yung __??
naunahan mo ko parekoy

hahahahaha!!!

now back to regular programming

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 11:39:50 PM »
chits, naunahan ako ni liam (kanshooter) sa n2 eh. hehehe. so iba na lang ang binili kong n2.. meron binibenta si beng afterskul. 13k na lang. patusin mo na yun habang meron pa! yung kay whezlee reserved na daw eh! haaay! nga pala chits, meron ka bang experience sa pagpapastrip ng paint/finish ng guitar? pm mo ko or add mo ko sa ym cornedbeef7@yahoo.com thanks!

Offline beachhead

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 12:42:07 AM »
oh i see. hmmm.. have you ever used an ADA MP-1 tube preamp rack unit? does it require a power amp section to function appropriately?

uy...........meron kang MP-1? pag ayaw muna contact me.
Supreme Chancellor of the SD-1 COALITION
Due to the new policy, no graphics allowed, we are changing the style of the SD-1 coalition signature.
 http://beachhead20.multiply.com/

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 02:42:52 AM »
All preamps, even just by the mere definition of the word, will not have enough current gain to drive a load such as a speaker coil. This is where the power amp comes in. However, you need a power amp that is specifically designed for guitar amplification. Guitar specific amplifiers are not as linear and do not have as wide a frequency response as PA amps. You could use PA amps if that is the sound that you are going for. You can even use the return stage of a head.

You could plug the preamp's outputs straight into the mixer, however, you will need a form of cabinet simulation to get the best tone out. I did this for years before we were allowed to have amps on stage. If you have no cabinet simulation, the sound tech has to be good enough in EQing your signal such that what you'd hear in the house resembles guitar sounds that we are accustomed to.

Offline geetar_geek79

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 03:57:51 AM »
yung mga rackmount preamps are, in a sense, distortion/od boxes na rackmount yung chassis.

rackmount preamp + racmount power amp + speaker cabinets = a guitar amp.

kagandahan sa rack setup is pwede ka magpalit ng preamp/tone section na hindi nagpapalit ng power section or cabs and vice versa.

adding to that, you can basically plug a metal zone, or any other dist/od boxes, directly to a power amp + cabs for as long as pareho sila ng level, ie. line level or mic level.

also, you don't need separate power amps sa mga preamps.  kung yung mga amps sa gig ay may effects loop, connect ka lang sa effetcs return and make sure na naka set sa series yung effects loop if adjustable.  this is essentially the same as a preamp + power amp rack setup.

GO RACK!!!   :-D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 03:59:39 AM by geetar_geek79 »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 04:44:21 AM »

oh sure. the ADA MP-1 along with the Marshall JMP-1 are a couple I have tried in the past as far as preamps go. Personally, I would use a power amp with a preamp just to beef the sound a bit but I have seen others bypass the use of a power amp and either, plug it straight to PA or as a front end to an amp head. Depends what you want but I would use a power amp.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 05:19:13 AM »
YOng gamit ko ng MP-1 ko dati using tube power amp. I also used it with the ADA cab sim rackmount unit. Napansin ko kasi na medyo Anemic ang tunog ng MP-1 by itself. Every now and then I used a BBE Sonic Max unit to add life to the whole sound. Pede rin syang diretso sa harap ng amp pero mas trip ko yong tunog through power amp.