hulika

Author Topic: Riverhead Guitars  (Read 12269 times)

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
Riverhead Guitars
« on: May 25, 2015, 11:37:08 PM »
So Elegee shared a link and I opened it. I was surprised nun makita ko yung content and napa wow sa guitars.

Im not sure about the prices yet but I saw someone getting a custom jazz master sa GTP page sa fb.
He took a picture of two guitars, one is a fender and beside it is the riverhead both jazzmasters, and he didnt included the headstock, making people guess which one was the fender and andami nagcomment na its both. Then he unveiled that the other guitar is a Filipino made guitar.

Anyone here has or planning to score them?

I looked at the les pauls and its so awesome.

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Riverhead Guitars
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 11:20:21 AM »
So Elegee shared a link and I opened it. I was surprised nun makita ko yung content and napa wow sa guitars.

Im not sure about the prices yet but I saw someone getting a custom jazz master sa GTP page sa fb.
He took a picture of two guitars, one is a fender and beside it is the riverhead both jazzmasters, and he didnt included the headstock, making people guess which one was the fender and andami nagcomment na its both. Then he unveiled that the other guitar is a Filipino made guitar.

Anyone here has or planning to score them?

I looked at the les pauls and its so awesome.

I think that was me. Plays better than the Fender. Spend 5k on a new pickguard, knobs, and trem you have a better guitar than most Fender Japan Jazzmasters. Try mo yung sa amin ng best friend ko.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:43:36 AM »
20+ k...pricing
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 11:58:22 AM »
Here's my review:

Belated NGD. I finally got in touch with the guys who make guitars for Bacchus. They started distributing guitars locally under the name Riverhead. My best friend and I picked from the first batch of Filipino-made Jazzmasters. Priced higher than Squier, but lower than Fender Mexico. Here's some pictures and a review:

Here's my initial assessment for the Philippine-made Riverhead Jazzmaster from Freedom Music.

The neck on mine is a slightly beefier modern C (although my best friend's Riverhead JM has a soft-v, so it might vary from guitar to guitar) and has a really nice satin finish. Headstock is a vintage-accurate JM shape with Kluson-style tuners and the truss rod adjust is at the heel like a good vintage Jazzy.

EDIT: THE SIDE DOT MARKERS ARE RIGHT IN BETWEEN THE SLAB BOARD AND THE NECK WOOD. Really good woodworking there.

Here are some photos of the fretwork and side markers on my best friend's Jazzmaster:

Body shape is really close to FMIC spec and only varies in terms of screw placement and possibly the roundovers around the lead circuit's volume and tone controls. It is possible to get US/MIM/Squier Mascis pickguards to fit if you're willing to make new screw holes. I'm also a bit iffy about the neck pocket as it's a good 2mm shallower than the typical FMIC route. If they did a shallower pocket for break angle, I'd understand but I think an angled neck pocket would be a better option and wouldn't have you cranking the bridge up off the thimbles. IIRC the finish is lacquer.

Hardware is basically what you'd find on a Squier, but slightly better quality. No stamp or lock on the tailpiece, but the one I got floats smoothly and stays in tune. Doesn't snag like the trem units on the RJ Mustang copy or some Squiers. Bridge is a bit heavier than I expected, but the tooling for the height screws is a bit loose and needs a bit of nail polish to prevent slippage. Also worth nothing that the screw heads on the pickups are a bit too large. Significantly larger than most Jazz Bass/Jazzmaster screw heads and could be a bit problematic when lowering pickup height. It was an issue for me but YMMV. Also, in my photos I flipped the bridge around for ease of intonation but I tried setting it up with the bridge facing the right way and it works fine on my gauge/tuning.

The plastics on this thing are okay, but I still get iffy about people who don't match the colors of the trem tip to the pickup covers. Covers and switch tip are a nice cream color but the trem tip is stark white. Minor issue with the font size on the knobs. Right color, but that font size is huge. I thought the guard was photo tort at first, but upon closer inspection I found that it was real tort, albeit a very thin layer. Not vintage accurate though, it's black/white/tort instead of mint/black/mint/tort.

Haven't opened this thing up yet, but as far as electronics go that's where I find the most issues. No problems with noise, but the tone control on the lead circuit is absolutely useless. I think they used the wrong taper pot on the tone knob, so it only really rolls off your tone when you're close to zero. Minor issue since pots are easy to replace.

I set mine up with a heavy set of strings for B-b baritone tuning and plugged it into my gigging rig. Was definitely not disappointed. The pickups are surprisingly good sounding JM pickups. I mean, I wouldn't replace them if I wasn't looking for a specific bridge pickup sound. I'll probably end up keeping the neck pickup. Great example of how decent JM pickups should sound.

Here's a clean demo I did with all the positions on the guitar. All clean except for the rhythm circuit overdub which had chorus, delay, and reverb.

FINAL WORD:

• Generally better than Fender Japan in terms of feel
  • Get better pots
  • Get new knobs and a better guard
  • Swap for locking trem

That's well under 30k brand new including upgrades. It can hang with a Classic Series Fender or probably some American Standards. FMIC doesn't have a guitar with these specs in that bracket since it's above Blacktop and below Classic Player in terms of pricing.

It's not a modding platform, that's for sure. It's a solid guitar out of the box after setup.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:09:13 PM »
and youre supporting Filipino workers buying these stuff..

buy a new Riverhead than a used japan offset? same price din eh..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
Where can I see the catalog and who sells them?  :)

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 12:45:02 PM »
Where can I see the catalog and who sells them?  :)

Exclusively distributed by Freedom Music.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
Link doesn't work sir

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 02:02:28 PM »
meron po silang jaguar?
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 02:15:40 PM »
Link doesn't work sir

Oh man, sorry. I suck at the internet. They're called Freedom Music on Facebook.

meron po silang jaguar?

They don't under the name Riverhead. Bacchus Japan makes an HH one that really resembles a higher-end Blacktop. Just the Jazzies so far.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 02:16:58 PM »
Oh man, sorry. I suck at the internet. They're called Freedom Music on Facebook.

They don't under the name Riverhead. Bacchus Japan makes an HH one that really resembles a higher-end Blacktop. Just the Jazzies so far.

thanks!

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »
Here's my review:

Belated NGD. I finally got in touch with the guys who make guitars for Bacchus. They started distributing guitars locally under the name Riverhead. My best friend and I picked from the first batch of Filipino-made Jazzmasters. Priced higher than Squier, but lower than Fender Mexico. Here's some pictures and a review:

Here's my initial assessment for the Philippine-made Riverhead Jazzmaster from Freedom Music.

The neck on mine is a slightly beefier modern C (although my best friend's Riverhead JM has a soft-v, so it might vary from guitar to guitar) and has a really nice satin finish. Headstock is a vintage-accurate JM shape with Kluson-style tuners and the truss rod adjust is at the heel like a good vintage Jazzy.

EDIT: THE SIDE DOT MARKERS ARE RIGHT IN BETWEEN THE SLAB BOARD AND THE NECK WOOD. Really good woodworking there.

Here are some photos of the fretwork and side markers on my best friend's Jazzmaster:

Body shape is really close to FMIC spec and only varies in terms of screw placement and possibly the roundovers around the lead circuit's volume and tone controls. It is possible to get US/MIM/Squier Mascis pickguards to fit if you're willing to make new screw holes. I'm also a bit iffy about the neck pocket as it's a good 2mm shallower than the typical FMIC route. If they did a shallower pocket for break angle, I'd understand but I think an angled neck pocket would be a better option and wouldn't have you cranking the bridge up off the thimbles. IIRC the finish is lacquer.

Hardware is basically what you'd find on a Squier, but slightly better quality. No stamp or lock on the tailpiece, but the one I got floats smoothly and stays in tune. Doesn't snag like the trem units on the RJ Mustang copy or some Squiers. Bridge is a bit heavier than I expected, but the tooling for the height screws is a bit loose and needs a bit of nail polish to prevent slippage. Also worth nothing that the screw heads on the pickups are a bit too large. Significantly larger than most Jazz Bass/Jazzmaster screw heads and could be a bit problematic when lowering pickup height. It was an issue for me but YMMV. Also, in my photos I flipped the bridge around for ease of intonation but I tried setting it up with the bridge facing the right way and it works fine on my gauge/tuning.

The plastics on this thing are okay, but I still get iffy about people who don't match the colors of the trem tip to the pickup covers. Covers and switch tip are a nice cream color but the trem tip is stark white. Minor issue with the font size on the knobs. Right color, but that font size is huge. I thought the guard was photo tort at first, but upon closer inspection I found that it was real tort, albeit a very thin layer. Not vintage accurate though, it's black/white/tort instead of mint/black/mint/tort.

Haven't opened this thing up yet, but as far as electronics go that's where I find the most issues. No problems with noise, but the tone control on the lead circuit is absolutely useless. I think they used the wrong taper pot on the tone knob, so it only really rolls off your tone when you're close to zero. Minor issue since pots are easy to replace.

I set mine up with a heavy set of strings for B-b baritone tuning and plugged it into my gigging rig. Was definitely not disappointed. The pickups are surprisingly good sounding JM pickups. I mean, I wouldn't replace them if I wasn't looking for a specific bridge pickup sound. I'll probably end up keeping the neck pickup. Great example of how decent JM pickups should sound.

Here's a clean demo I did with all the positions on the guitar. All clean except for the rhythm circuit overdub which had chorus, delay, and reverb.

FINAL WORD:

• Generally better than Fender Japan in terms of feel
  • Get better pots
  • Get new knobs and a better guard
  • Swap for locking trem

That's well under 30k brand new including upgrades. It can hang with a Classic Series Fender or probably some American Standards. FMIC doesn't have a guitar with these specs in that bracket since it's above Blacktop and below Classic Player in terms of pricing.

It's not a modding platform, that's for sure. It's a solid guitar out of the box after setup.

Yeah, definitely you. I've seen LP's on the facebook page too and its also nice. Have you seen yhe basses when you visited them? Or was your gear delivered?

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »
^nice! hopefully there will be strat too.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 02:33:32 PM »
meron po ba silang non reverse firebird?  :lol:
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
medyo worried lang ako dun sa string saddles sa bridge :/

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »
Uy Emman. I haven't seen a strat. But they have a tele, sg and mostly likely LP's. Not sure kung my start yung seventy seven na brand.

Check nyo yung facebook ng freedom music. The jazz basses are awesome.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 03:35:53 PM »

They have Bacchus Strats.

meron po ba silang non reverse firebird?  :lol:

No Firebirds, but they do have an Explorer.

medyo worried lang ako dun sa string saddles sa bridge :/

Hindi yan problema. No slippage on mine in B standard, and no slippage on my best friend's guitar in standard/drop D. Dalhin mo lang sakin if you want some peace of mind. All else fails, Mustang bridges fit if you don't mind a slightly mismatched radius.

Yeah, definitely you. I've seen LP's on the facebook page too and its also nice. Have you seen yhe basses when you visited them? Or was your gear delivered?

I saw a demo video of the basses, and I like how they sound. I'll definitely get a black Jazz Bass somewhere down the line. I asked my best friend to get it from their store since I had work at the time. He's the Chinese guy on their page with the two Jazzmasters.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:25:21 PM by treblinkalovescene »
Offset guitars for life.

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
I've been lurking at Freedom Music FB page for days now, and I also sent a PM to them. Madali sila kausap and answers all my queries. Around 20-25k ata pricing nila. My next purchase might be a Riverhead guitar, either Telecaster or Jazzmaster. I think they are from Marikina pero as of now wala pa daw sila showroom, so you have to set a schedule with them bago ka pumunta.

Hopefully makapagpasched ako sa kanila, gusto ko matry Tele. But the headstock is different from standard Fender Tele na headstock.

I dig their neckplate!  :-D
"Accomplishing the impossible is all about seeing the invisible."

- Sun Stand Still

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 02:59:35 AM »
nice share, check ko ito mamaya when i get out.

@ jake

paps, shinare mo din ba yung page? para madali ko mahanap mamaya.  :)
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline putchazta_46

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 11:10:52 AM »
I am really intrigued now ko lang nabasa to :) I can't view their fb page since blocked yung fb dito sa office. Do they use local wood or they get their wood elsewhere? Would anyone know the specs of their jazzmaster, tele and lp (including electronics)? :) Baka pwede humingi ng favor pacopy and paste na lang dito sa thread hehe. Thanks!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 05:26:16 PM »
I am really intrigued now ko lang nabasa to :) I can't view their fb page since blocked yung fb dito sa office. Do they use local wood or they get their wood elsewhere? Would anyone know the specs of their jazzmaster, tele and lp (including electronics)? :) Baka pwede humingi ng favor pacopy and paste na lang dito sa thread hehe. Thanks!

Locally sourced alder among other woods. The Jazzmaster is standard Jazzmaster spec with full-size pots and slightly hotter JM pickups.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline CERamos

• Netizen Level
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »
Any review of Riverhead Stratocaster?

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 12:13:06 AM »
I think I saw Raphael Pulgar using a strat.

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 06:05:25 PM »
kita ko nga fb nito me nag post ng link sa fb group.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 06:22:17 AM »

naka-sale yata sila. pinagsama nila yung dalawang magaling na banda nung 90's sa pangalan nila
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian