hulika

Author Topic: The new SMASHING PUMPKINS ALBUM, "Zeitgeist"  (Read 5690 times)

Offline otistikako

The new SMASHING PUMPKINS ALBUM, "Zeitgeist"
« on: July 08, 2007, 10:59:09 AM »
Smashing Pumpkins without Iha and D'Arcy. What's your verdict?
All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The new SMASHING PUMPKINS ALBUM, "Zeitgeist"
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »
50% of the pumpkins? guess it would be better if darcy and iha is still around..

Offline James_Animagi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:31:20 PM »
its still sounds the typical pumpkins full of mystery and melloncholic as long as billy and jimmy are both in the band it will sound the same

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 04:09:01 AM »
Jimmy Chamberlain AWESOME drummer, Billy is Billy...irrreplaceable. Its an SP album for sure.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline free

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 11:05:56 AM »
it seems more like a reincarnation of zwan than the pumpkins.
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it". - Edith Sitwell

Offline otistikako

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 06:03:02 PM »
I miss the innocence of Billy Corgan..Now it seems like he's running out of steam, doing every desperate attempt to revive Pumpkins' career. After "Zeitgeist" what's next for Corgan.
 :|
All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline SuperWeak!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 12:20:39 AM »
ayos ba ung new album meron na bang out na cd??

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 01:27:39 PM »
gish and siamese padin:)

mp3's anyone?

http://www.bagofhell.com/zeitgeist.zip

Offline distrito45

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 03:36:37 PM »
i saw their performance sa live earth sa youtube. ang bilis ng version nila ng bullet with butterfly wings. may mp3 album ako ng zeigeist maganda naman, kahit si billy at si chambarlain adik na lang ang orig. in fairness anga ganda ng new bassist nila ma research nga kung cnu ung alam ko lang name ay ginger eh parang spice girls amp.. GINger spice nyuahahahahaha :evil:
THE PAGE YOU ARE LOOKING IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE. THE WEBSITE MIGHT BE EXPERIENCING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:55:41 PM »
I didn't like the album that much. their overall vibe has changed. "Siamese Dream" and "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" are still the quintessential SP albums for me. "Machina the Machines of God" is also a great album :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 05:47:38 AM »
Nawala yung soft/loud dynamics ng mga kanta nila.  Naging loud/louder na lang s'ya.  Yung compression sa mastering, contributor din sa pagsira ng overall sound ng plaka para sa akin.

Balik na lang sana sila sa tunog nila n'ung may buhok pa si Billy--gish tsaka Siamese Dream pa rin para sa 'kin.

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 05:52:24 AM »
its not gonna be the same without iha & d'arcy...its like a different lineup of ZWAN...

siamese dream is still their best album... 8-)
black moon creeping...

Offline edgarthewalrus

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 11:14:44 PM »
with regards to the lineup, smashing pumkins will always be smashing pumpkins as long as andun si billy and jimmy. parang siamese dream din, si billy lang halos lahat gumawa ng songs dun and si jimmy of course sa drums. same here with zeitgeist, jimmy on drums and billy on everything else :-D

i still like the album. heavy pa rin kaya lang after the track, usa, boring na yung songs. for now boring sila, who knows i might like it after a few years diba? hehe parang adore, it took me 2 years to like it, love it pala :-D
http://www.hyneriamosssoundscape.wordpress.com
SOLD ITEMS TO foresight, yearling, dread_head, reggaenursenikew, ramnem, child309, dom_pag0ng
BOUGHT ITEMS harkanie27,userzeroone, morphine

Offline foom

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 02:27:30 AM »
it seems more like a reincarnation of zwan than the pumpkins.

agree!!!
end is near. learn to swim.

Offline Paco_38

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 12:06:48 AM »
nevertheless, it's still nice to see that they alive and kicking again, i remember those times when i was in kinder garten listening to their hit songs, i'll never forget this band.
|B.C. Rich 1988 Class Axe Warlock | Ibanez RG350EX | Line-6 ÜberMetal | Line-6 PocketPod | Line-6 Spider III

Matt Skiba

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 11:12:27 AM »
this album really isn't worthy of being tagged as a pumpkins album. it's just different and mediocre. the original four members need to get back together and make us a REAL pumpkins album!

Offline blueplata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 05:57:48 PM »
yeah, 50% na lang yung pagkatunog SP nila... Iba pa rin talaga nung nandun pa sila Iha at D'Arcy
The killer in me is the killer in you.- Disarm, Smashing Pumpkins

Offline jhunterproject

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 03:02:02 AM »
with regards to the lineup, smashing pumkins will always be smashing pumpkins as long as andun si billy and jimmy. parang siamese dream din, si billy lang halos lahat gumawa ng songs dun and si jimmy of course sa drums. same here with zeitgeist, jimmy on drums and billy on everything else :-D

i still like the album. heavy pa rin kaya lang after the track, usa, boring na yung songs. for now boring sila, who knows i might like it after a few years diba? hehe parang adore, it took me 2 years to like it, love it pala :-D

pareho tyo... pinaka the best sakin album adore pero un ang pinaka ayaw ng karamihan... billy is full of surprise wala nang kagaya nya siguro s pwesto ng music n un... tsaka noon p man s kanya n galing lahat ng the best tracks ng pumpkins, so ok lang kahit may naalis para sakin... zeitgeist isa lang sa mga ordnaryong albums ng pumpkins n dumaan gaya ng gish... pero iba parin... galing.... cya lang lahat gumawa non... at si jimmy s drums.

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 08:30:20 AM »
Hey, Im an SP fan since college, I have the album and here's my review:

"The album from the newly re-formed band minus two of the original arch-members james iha (guitars) and D'Arcy (bass n boobs) has not really blown my ears off, it lacks sentiment to swoon the legions of fans who hold their music dear to their heart's ear. Knowing this first hand seems to establish that it is another one of Billy's wierd solo pursuits, considering that drummer chamberlain most probrably had a little involvement in songwriting as in other pumpkins' projects. BUT still, there is hope in the track "that's the way my love is" which seems to remind of the old mellon collie days. a touch of adore-ish techno embellishment was given in certain tracks, church organs/synths and the wierd vocal mixes will definitely throw them away from their hard-core army. The tracks "starz" has a fresh clean sound atypical to the convetion rockers are used to. The new guitarist is good, im telling you, whoever he is. He seems to play in a more saner way than james. Billy is still a songwriting genius, so he experiments in wierd instruments sound/arrangements but that's him, never a conformist. There are anthems song in the album like the tracks "doomsday clock", "tarantula" and "shades of black" that seems to follow the formulaic pumpkin sound which when mixed with other so so songs gives the album the same old menagerie of varied song formats and color that still, somehow rocks. Hey! It's the Pum'kins after all..."

-JMQU 10/17/2007

Also, an update:

Jimmy Chamberlain quit the recent line-up and now Billy Corgan is looking for a new drummer

Billy intends to go on under the name Smashing Pumpkins

Offline anamewashere

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »
this album sucks big time. it sounds like an angry zwan project for me.  buti na lang halimaw sa drums si jimmy kundi babasagin ko 'tong cd na to. i'm a big fan of the band. i've all their albums. but this one, i've got to say, is their worst *rephrase* billy's worst. mas panget pa sa adore. and i don't think this has anything to do with their line-up 'coz only billy and jimmy are the notable musicians in the band - james' music is more on the pop genre if you'd listen to his compositions sa mcis, mcis singles, pati na din sa pisces. ang alam ko nga he's currently in a band with one of those hanson brothers which only proves my point and si d'arcy naman, tama si sir marcus, kaylangan munang magpakita ng nipple bago mo mapansing kasama pala sa banda. for me their only album which contains some nice bass lines is that of siamese dream, which, by the way, was played by billy himself.

but i have to give props to billy for the consistency in this album. may context kasi, hence 'zeitgeist', and it stayed true to its name. read hegel or kung gusto mo i-wikipedia mo na lang kung gusto mong maintindihan ung sinasabi ko then correlate it to the time of the album's release. pomp and circumstances is the only song that i liked in this album and i liked it for its meaning and not as a song of the smashing pumpkins that i love because it clearly doesn't sound like one at all, as with the rest of the songs in this album. kulong pa din ako sa gish, siamase and pisces eras of the band i guess. mcis was ok for me and the rest are, well, panget, for the lack of a better term. such a shame nga lang na may tattoo ako ng sp hearts sa braso ko and the winged hourglass in my wrist and the band clearly couldn't follow up their first three beautiful albums with great new music.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:51:24 PM by anamewashere »

Offline inzsairis

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 07:18:39 AM »

nakaka-iyak nung napanood ko ung live at rockam nila... di na cla kagaya ng dati, pero halata mo na c billy din ay nalulungkot dahil dun.. basahin mo mga intervies nila sa internet mula noon hangang sa pinaka latest... mula sa galit-bati na awayan nila ni d'arcy... biglaang jokes ng tahimik na si iha.. issues ni jimmy.. at kung panu nila pakisamahan ung bawat isa at magplan ng pangarap nila...

...kaso dhan dahan nalagas...

d'arcy said shes unhealthy to be back to music and now living far away from chicago wer they all started... (nakatira sya ngaun sa isang farm w/normal life)
c james ay nag-d-dj s mga high-end na clubs, simula ng ndi na active ang APC... gumugawa ng project kasama mga pop musician, fountains of wayne at hansons
jimmy just quit this 2009... sbi niya hindi na daw makakatulong pa sa progress ng carrer nya ang pumpkins.. pero wala silang samaan ng loob ni billy

billy-magpapatuloy pa din daw...

:-(

Inter spem et metum... Inter arma carita

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 07:27:26 AM »
for me smashing pumpkins is 100% billy corgan anyway....ang alam ko pag hindi sya satisfied sa record inuulit lang nya at sya na lahat ang tumutugtog ng instruments...

favorite album ko is machina...machines of god

Offline PLESIM

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 06:36:29 PM »
smashing pumpkins is billy corgan.period!

Offline edgarthewalrus

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 09:05:47 PM »
a new song is now available on their website for FREE! i am very much looking forward to the entire kaleidyscope record. first song really sounds good to me.
http://www.hyneriamosssoundscape.wordpress.com
SOLD ITEMS TO foresight, yearling, dread_head, reggaenursenikew, ramnem, child309, dom_pag0ng
BOUGHT ITEMS harkanie27,userzeroone, morphine

Offline Delaware

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Zeitgeist supposedly was the 'going-back-to-form album' of The Smashing Pumpkins. Unfortunately they fell short of expectations. It is a fairly decent album but lacks the bombast and luster of earlier works (e.g. Gish, Siamese Dreams). The good songs hold their own but the bad songs stand out like sore thumbs. On a scale of 1 to 5. I'll give it a 3.5.  Happy New Year. :-D