hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296853 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #650 on: January 26, 2011, 08:32:57 AM »
bring up the gain on the mic first. set the channel fader to unity gain (0 dB) then adjust the trim knob (or preamp gain) for the best/loudest signal at the least noise. try to avoid adjusting fader levels above 0 dB.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline deathrose23

« Reply #651 on: January 27, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
sir kitc, ask ko lang, pano po ba matangal yun delay ng sound mula guitar ko papunta sa speaker ng
laptop, gamit ko behringer UCG102. If sa ucg102 ko na lang po ipuplug yun speaker mas mababawasan po
ba un delay tsaka mgagamit ko yun mga built-in fx nun record software ko?  Mixcraft po gamit ko software. tnx.. :-D

eto po set-up ko:

http://img89.imageshack.us/i/ucg102.jpg/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:18:45 PM by deathrose23 »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #652 on: January 27, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »
Plug your speakers/headphones to the UCG and monitor from there. You might experience latency (or delay) if you record with fx on. Just record dry and add fx during mixing.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline vinz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #653 on: February 08, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »
@ Sir Kit:

im trying to record some stuff at home, one problem is pag nagrerecord ako nag jajump jump yung playback parang sirang CD hehe (which is the first recorded audio) tapos pag nagrecord na ko ng bagong audio hindi na sila pag sabay ko plinay-back? is this has something to do with latency? im using acoustica btw for home use lang. core3 nga pala pc ko tapos onboard audio lang. yung gamit ko nga pala is a Zoom B2.1u tapos sa USB ang out at playback ko.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #654 on: February 08, 2011, 02:06:04 PM »
vinz, ease back on the latency settings in the B2's control panel until you get good playback. what is your OS, btw?

Offline vinz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #655 on: February 09, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »
vinz, ease back on the latency settings in the B2's control panel until you get good playback. what is your OS, btw?

copy sir, btw Win 7 ang OS ko.  :-)

enitnelav

« Reply #656 on: February 18, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »
hi, noob here, trying to record some guitar tracks. im having a bit of a problem with this annoying buzzing sound. im using a strat copy thru a multifx to the pc's line in. i've already tried connecting the multi to diff power points, changing the cables, turning off/unplugging everything except the pc/multi (ang dilim na nga dito eh), and using the multi's noise gate and filter/limiter/gate plugins, pero ganun pa rin. i've even considered having the guitar checked for grounding problem but when i plug it into an amp or connect earphones straight to the multi, okey naman. lumalabas lang talaga siya pag connected yung guitar sa pc. i can only eliminate it when i turn the tone knob on my guitar to zero, adn record at a very soft volume. of course, doing this, halos wala nakong marinig. any suggestions? thanks in advance.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #657 on: February 19, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
builtin sound cards are noisy...buy a better interface

enitnelav

« Reply #658 on: February 19, 2011, 09:07:32 AM »
but the noise isnt present when i connect other things (keyboard, etc) to the line in. also when i connect the guitar to other things. just when the two are connected.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #659 on: February 20, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »
Are you using an ordinary power adapter with the multi instead of the power adapter that was originally supplied with it?

enitnelav

« Reply #660 on: February 20, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
yep. is it something to do w/ the amperage or something?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #661 on: February 21, 2011, 09:10:32 AM »
Nope. Cheap power adapters often use half wave rectification plus are very poor in filtering out noise from our power lines. Either modify the adapter to full wave or use the standard recommended power adapter. If the multi can be powered by batteries, use that option during recording.

Offline JMedders

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #662 on: February 26, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »
Your interface cable could be a possibility, try using another one. And a good quality surge suppressor could also help. You can also try to use a UPS disconnected from the mains to power up your gears to check if it eliminate the noise. I am not sure on this one but you can also try to check the impedance coupling of your guitar and your multi equiptment.

Offline jepoy_esp

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #663 on: March 11, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
anyone here know where to buy a pci midi port? and how much?

Offline jepoy_esp

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #664 on: March 11, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »
I'm Looking for Edirol PCR-M30/ Edirol PCR-M80, kung meron po kayo alam please message me, Thanks!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #665 on: March 14, 2011, 04:20:34 PM »
anyone here know where to buy a pci midi port? and how much?

That would be the old mpu-401 interface. Better to get a usb midi interface.

Offline karlwilson

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #666 on: March 14, 2011, 04:27:59 PM »
i've been planning of  having a recording gears on my studio..this thread would really help a lot.  :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #667 on: March 15, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »
i've been planning of  having a recording gears on my studio..this thread would really help a lot.  :-D

This, and the other stickie about "What Do You Want To Learn About Recording".

Offline markezekiel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #668 on: March 16, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »
sir kitC hingi sana ko ng tulong in recording using my boss gt-10's USB connection...

im using Audacity.

gusto ko lng po malaman ung mga settings na dapat i tweak sa pc ko para makapag record na ko using usb connection. i mean the levels, dB and the settings...

hoping for your possitive reply sir...

thanks.

more power philmusic!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #669 on: March 18, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
gusto ko lng po malaman ung mga settings na dapat i tweak sa pc ko para makapag record na ko using usb connection. i mean the levels, dB and the settings...

I can't give you settings on levels because I don't know enough about your recording chain.

What YOU should do is this...

Set things up so that you are monitoring your input signal. It does mean that you are hearing what you are physically recording. It will require that a) the GT10 has an audio 'return' from the computer so that you can hear the levels going into audacity, or... failing that, you can hear a realtime output from another soundcard.

I'm not familiar with the GT10 but I expect some routing difficulties trying to do a realtime monitor from the computer/software output. To do that, you will have to set audacity so that the GT10 is the input and output audio device. If you can monitor your playing while recording, without hearing ANY latency, then you can properly record. This is VASTLY different from hearing the GT10's direct output since you would want to determine if the signal is distorting before going into the computer, which is something you would want to avoid.

Supposing you have a proper monitoring setup, the rule of thumb is to get the loudest possible signal into your computer without distorting the input converters or ADC, as we like to call it. Try to do a run through of your recording and listen to the loudest portions. Distorting the input almost sounds like bad transistor distortion. If you do hear distortion, before the next take, reduce your input levels by a few dB, taking note of the loudest part of the song. Play that part while adjusting levels until the distortion goes away. Once that is done, record to your heart's content.

Offline jinlucero

« Reply #670 on: March 18, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »
sir ano po ba ung the best na soundcard para sa sonar cakewalk? nagbabalak po kasi ako bumili ng desktop. thanks. :mrgreen:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #671 on: March 19, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »
sir ano po ba ung the best na soundcard para sa sonar cakewalk? nagbabalak po kasi ako bumili ng desktop. thanks. :mrgreen:

Any soundcard will work with Sonar, even the built-in audio in your computer. The caveat with built-in, however, is that it is often prone to high latencies even when using asio4all. Your best best would be to get a separate soundcard, either internal pci/pcie or a usb/firewire audio interface. I used to start out with soundblasters but moved on to higher performance cards when my ears noticed that the 'blasters were... "noisy".

You can try the various M-audio offerings at JB; Yupangco no carries Roland audio interfaces that are matched well with Sonar.

Offline jinlucero

« Reply #672 on: March 22, 2011, 01:07:38 PM »
Any soundcard will work with Sonar, even the built-in audio in your computer. The caveat with built-in, however, is that it is often prone to high latencies even when using asio4all. Your best best would be to get a separate soundcard, either internal pci/pcie or a usb/firewire audio interface. I used to start out with soundblasters but moved on to higher performance cards when my ears noticed that the 'blasters were... "noisy".

You can try the various M-audio offerings at JB; Yupangco no carries Roland audio interfaces that are matched well with Sonar.

Thank you sir :mrgreen:

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #673 on: March 23, 2011, 02:47:46 AM »
mga boss ano marerecommend niyo bilhin ko for home recording lang, baka kasi may bago this 2011 eh...

baguhan lang ako sa recording stuff and so far sa mga nakikita ko m-audio fast track yung maganda pero i could be wrong since noob ako dito hehe

I'm running a laptop lang na windows 7 32bit, it's capable of playing games so yung ram and processing power ins't really an issue I guess...

yung gusto ko po kasi mangyari direct guitar recording lang then gamit ng modelling software sa computer for effects/amps.....I've read na kailangan ng recording software na pwede gumamit ng vst plugins like guitar rig ? tama ba? anyway may cost efficient way ba kayo marerecommend? nakita ko din kasi yung pod studio stuff pero parang outdated na yata? tsaka wala na'ko makitang ganun sa yamaha/PP

thanks boss!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #674 on: March 23, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »
nakita ko din kasi yung pod studio stuff pero parang outdated na yata? tsaka wala na'ko makitang ganun sa yamaha/PP

Inquire with yupanks about their Line6 Pod usb interfaces esp. if guitar recording is all you are interested in. You might want to look at the Line6 interfaces that include mic preamps (Pod X3) should you decide to mic up an amp in the future (just make sure you have understanding family members and neighbors).

I'm not sure if the Pod includes recording software, but try considering Reaper. At $69, it's very inexpensive plus you get a full featured DAW.