hulika

Author Topic: Arnel Pineda, Journey's New Frontman A Filipino Coming to Manila! Comments PLS!  (Read 1737 times)

Offline styledog

• Philmusicus Noobitus
His story is both sad and happy but it is altogether amazingly inspirational!
Arnel Pineda was reared in the dark alleys of Metro Manila and has struggled life no end untill now.

Listen to his story live on March 14 at the MOA grounds!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:26:40 AM by styledog »

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
Just my opinion - he's great on the ballads and slower stuff like "open arms" and "faithfully". Fails miserably on hard rockers like "separate ways"- the diction shows.

I've been a Journey fan since the '80s - loved Jonathan Cain's synth lines.

Offline styledog

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Just my opinion - he's great on the ballads and slower stuff like "open arms" and "faithfully". Fails miserably on hard rockers like "separate ways"- the diction shows.

I've been a Journey fan since the '80s - loved Jonathan Cain's synth lines.

Very interesting comment-a constructive one.
Arnel is a go-getter guy. He'll catch up with the am diction in no time.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Siguro ang problema natin talaga, pilit natin gusto magkaroon ng diction ng mga onaks (yung iba naman gusto magtunog Brit-accent, kagaya nina... alam niyo na. :D) Sumabay ka sa elevator ng opisina ng isang Call Center, hwehehehe, you know what I mean.

I guess, the whole point why Arnel got hired was his voice... not the accent.  I admit to have been distracted by his accent a few times, but then again, why be ashamed of a "Pinoy" accent?  Kung pilit nagpapakutunog Jamaican ang mga ibang rapper na onaks, bakit tayo kailangan mag-tunog onaks?   

Offline styledog

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Actually, the problem here is not really the diction but it is the accent. Accent is inherent to the owner the tounge, and thus for me incurable. Take the case of Julio Iglesias or any other Hisspanic guy, like the Carlos Santana group for instance, doing an american song. The defect will always show off.

Speaking really about this problem no one is spared. Singing even one's own song you can still get the slip. Listen carefully on every tagalog song each Pinoy sings and you will hear a lot of these. Even the americans themselves on their own song, there are still a lot of such incursions especially when you lisen through a headset.

For me, what matters is where the voice is coming from in a singer. I listen to the heart and not to the toungue.  :-) :-)

Offline Glass Onion

• Veteran Member
Im just proud over the fact that he's Filipino, but if we're talking about skills or artistry I don't really think there's anything special about him. But then again that's just me and my opinion. No disrespect to his fans or whoever.

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
but if we're talking about skills or artistry I don't really think there's anything special about him. But then again that's just me and my opinion. No disrespect to his fans or whoever.
My opinion - I'm impressed with his vocal power. Walk the streets of Manila - heck, check out all the male pro singers we have -  and see if you can find someone who can sing like Steve Perry - who can hit melodic high notes without resorting to falsetto. I'm not a real Steve Perry (or Arnel Pineda) fan, but that voice has to be one of the most powerful, expressive and melodic in pop/rock of the last few decades.

On the accent - his is neutral, as is most Filipinos - the reason why the Americans like us a lot for call center applications (compared to US southern, latin american, Mumbai, etc).

What really bothered me was the diction. One example - how he sings  "Separate Ways" - my favorite Journey hit and the first song on their set. When he gets to the word "touched" - a high point in the chorus, the tension which leads to the resolution on the next line - he pronounces it as "tats".

Offline styledog

• Philmusicus Noobitus

What really bothered me was the diction. One example - how he sings  "Separate Ways" - my favorite Journey hit and the first song on their set. When he gets to the word "touched" - a high point in the chorus, the tension which leads to the resolution on the next line - he pronounces it as "tats".

That's a deep end for a diction for someone live on stage, bro. And these two specific words juxtoposed, I myself may not even notice or say the difference. But I believe you. This should really be given attention before "somebody" else bring it up to Arnel.

I hope they aready noticed this and included it among the concerns for which necessitated Arnel's training. I heard that Arnel is being give the workshop on pronunciation, and also may be on, as you put it,-diction.

:-) :-)

Offline styledog

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Im just proud over the fact that he's Filipino, but if we're talking about skills or artistry I don't really think there's anything special about him. But then again that's just me and my opinion. No disrespect to his fans or whoever.

Sagutin ko lang ito para gumalaw ang thread.  :-)

Mine is another opinion over Arnel Pineda's singing. For me he is not just skillfull but very artistic.

If the gauge for artistry is originality, maybe Arnel Pineda won't be able to pass the test. But we are now in a post-modern realm where originality in literal sense has long been obscured. Arnel's voice may be comparable to Steve Perry's but his singing and performance altogether is a rebuttal of the latter's own presence on stage.

Arnel Pineda stands out as Arnel Pineda in every stage-that's artistry!