hulika

Author Topic: Can I put an SM58 capsule on a PG58?  (Read 3102 times)

Offline rogy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Can I put an SM58 capsule on a PG58?
« on: February 08, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
Curious lang. I have a wireless PG58 system and a wired SM58. Tanong ko lang sa mga experts kung pwedeng iswap and capsules ng dalawa? If this is possible, then I can have the convenience of a wireless SM58 using the mics that I have on hand.

Thanks.

Offline noahgoode

Re: Can I put an SM58 capsule on a PG58?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
Shure say's you would be wasting your time.  Apparently,  the acoustic chamber behind the mic cartridge of a wired SM58 is not present on wireless systems.  This chamber defines an important part of how a wired SM58 sounds.

The PG series wireless mics are considered entry level systems while the SMs are mid level.  The SM series will have better frequency response, polar response, handling noise, transient response, etc.   

Are you looking at swapping cartridges because the SM58 sounds louder to you?  Shure currently has 10 RPW wireless elements (capsules) that are interchangeable with each other.  But, don't assume that an SM58 wireless mic element will sound louder on a PG transmitter.  It will not.  Although the output levels for each specific wired mic model may be very different, interchangeable wireless mic capsules are "normalized" (by placing an electronic circuit between the mic capsule and the transmitter section) so their output levels are essentially the same -- that's what makes them interchangeable.
Veni, Vici, Velcro....I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Offline rogy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 11:02:20 AM »
Thanks sir. It's not too much on the "loud" but on the output quality. I also asked around, but the responses were all negative. I just wanted ideas first before I go about breaking down 2 good mics for an experiment.

Offline dragwarz05

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 12:07:36 AM »
i wanna try this experiment too... I have a china wireless mic and an old rusty sm58 mic but capsules are working great.