hulika

Author Topic: Gibson J200 on EDSA!  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Wshad

Gibson J200 on EDSA!
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »
On the way to work this morning on EDSA, Manila’s most congested road, my eyes were drawn to a familiar shape -  a Gibson J200!  Sa likod ng bus!  Like the one The Everly Brothers and The Shadows used, and Cliff Richard uses!  So I whipped out my phone and snapped this photo.

With a J200, talagang awesome day.

Offline prince22

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Gibson J200 on EDSA!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
I think that's an Epiphone EJ200.

Edit: Yup definitely an EJ200.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:51:59 AM by prince22 »

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »
EJ-200 nga. :-)
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline DiMarzSiao™

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:14:32 AM »
linaw ah... anong model ng phone?

← ʍɐʎıɥ

Offline Wshad

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
How can you tell it's an Epihone?  Ang linaw ng mata niyo!  :)  I'll look more carefully.

I used a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.  I actually cropped the photo already, but the picture is still clear.  The Galaxy takes good pictures.  I am surprised; madalian lang young shot.

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »
Headstock shape. Epiphone headstock has a narrower bevel.

Truss rod cover. Epiphone has a different print on the truss rod cover.

Well.. that's my basis. Dunno how others tell otherwise.
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline kimhags

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 10:37:35 AM »
Epiphone EJ200CE to be exact. here's a pic:

Gibson J200.

Offline prince22

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »
How can you tell it's an Epihone?  Ang linaw ng mata niyo!  :)  I'll look more carefully.

I used a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.  I actually cropped the photo already, but the picture is still clear.  The Galaxy takes good pictures.  I am surprised; madalian lang young shot.

Epiphone EJ200CE to be exact.

Yup a CE because it has pickups/electronics (you can see at the left side there are knobs protruding)

It's clearly an Epiphone because of the headstock, you can see that the truss rod cover extends to the nut unlike a 2 screw TRC and the headstock itself is curved inward and the topmost part is not the traditional open book shape.

Also Gibsons usually have no inlays in the outer part of their "mustache" bridges.

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:58 AM »
definitely an ej-200

Offline Wshad

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Thanks very much, all.  I must confess I didn't know that, but I do now.  Thanks for taking the time to explain and post photos.  You know your guitars, and I learned something today.  I am very impressed and happy about the level of technical knowledge here.

Here's a J200 used at a show in 2009 at Hard Rock Cafe .  The only reason I was sure before is because it says "Gibson"!  But now I'll look at the telltale differences you mentioned.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:33:56 PM by Wshad »

Offline Wshad

Givson
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 01:17:42 AM »
I posted the photo of the bus in one of the offshore guitar forums and a member from England wrote:

"I spent four months working in Batangas, south of Mannila, a few years ago. Went in a shop selling only, what looked like Gibson guitars, turned out to be GIVSON guitars. Very acurate copies of all Gibson guitar model's. from a distance. Have you seen these or have the GIVSON company been closed down."

Mayroon pa bang Givson guitars?

Thanks,

WShad

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 01:25:31 AM »
Thanks very much, all.  I must confess I didn't know that, but I do now.  Thanks for taking the time to explain and post photos.  You know your guitars, and I learned something today.  I am very impressed and happy about the level of technical knowledge here.

Here's a J200 used at a show in 2009 at Hard Rock Cafe .  The only reason I was sure before is because it says "Gibson"!  But now I'll look at the telltale differences you mentioned.

Thanks again.

yan ba si dog whisperer ?  :-D

Offline Wshad

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 06:29:43 AM »
Si Roy Marinduque ng Glass Onion at Area One.   :)

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Givson
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
I posted the photo of the bus in one of the offshore guitar forums and a member from England wrote:

"I spent four months working in Batangas, south of Mannila, a few years ago. Went in a shop selling only, what looked like Gibson guitars, turned out to be GIVSON guitars. Very acurate copies of all Gibson guitar model's. from a distance. Have you seen these or have the GIVSON company been closed down."

Mayroon pa bang Givson guitars?

Thanks,

WShad
Seems like an Indian brand: http://www.givson.com/home.html

Though IIRC may mga nakita akong mga Givson dati sa Raon at Sta Mesa. Kaso hindi yung mga style na naka-lagay sa site nila ngayon. LP copies and acoustics were what I remember. Ewan ko kung meron pa ngayon.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »
the pickguard is a giveaway

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Givson
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
Seems like an Indian brand: http://www.givson.com/home.html

Though IIRC may mga nakita akong mga Givson dati sa Raon at Sta Mesa. Kaso hindi yung mga style na naka-lagay sa site nila ngayon. LP copies and acoustics were what I remember. Ewan ko kung meron pa ngayon.

lol..  :eek:

doh!!!