hulika

Author Topic: THE JAZZ GUITAR APPRECIATION THREAD  (Read 5701 times)

Chito

THE JAZZ GUITAR APPRECIATION THREAD
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 09:33:20 PM »
Deacon Blues, seems like we have something in common in terms of the music we both like. Obviously with your handle, you're a big Steely Dan fan. I am too. Too bad Fagen cancelled his concert here last month :( I am a big George Benson fan too altho, I thought his music has really gone commercial these days.

As for Pat Metheny,  I  also like the album you mentioned, Still Life Talking, one of his more mass-appealing albums, of course that's not to say that it is what you might call a "commercial" album. My favourite PM album is "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls".  

BTW, talking about guitar synths, I saw PM use the Roland Guitar Synth when he played here. I thought he and Lee Ritenour are the only guitar players that I know of that have managed to make music out of those instruments.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »
my favorite jazz guitarists:
joe pass
george benson
pat metheny

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 11:06:31 PM »
i'''m a big jazz/jazz fusion guitar fan.
here are my faves:
scott henderson
john scofield
jimmy bruno
jim hall
allan holdsworth
brett garsed
andy timmons(when he plays fusion)
pat metheny
pat martino
mike stern
joe diorio
joe pass
george benson
lee ritenour
and the list goes on and on...... :D

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »
markthevirtuoso: Yup, Wes is the man! ... or should I say ... the Thumb! Hehe! It's amazing how he can play those lines using just his thumb. Thanks to youtube.com, we can now get a glimpse of the man behind the myth

Chito: You got that right ... big Steely Dan fan here, and you can bet it's coz of the guitarists - led by Carlton. Now there's another giant! Fave solos: aside from Kid Charlemagne, of course, there's Peg c/o Jay Graydon, another under-rated axeslinger.

Surprisingly, their new guitarist, Jon Herrington, kicks ass as well. Saw the recent live dvd and man, he definitely takes over Carlton's chores very well. Becker fires up some tasty Strat fills in Josie too. I wonder what overdrive he's using there... definitely very transparent-sounding

As for Benson going commercial, well ... the cat's gotta survive, right? Let's just be thankful that he hasn't lost his chops

You saw Metheny? wow! lucky you! Yeah, him and Rit are just about the only guys I've heard of who've used the Roland synth, although I'm sure there's a lot more. I personally don't like THAT particular timbre though. It kinda takes away the 'guitaristic' nuances

What are you doing in Ontario, btw? Are you a gigging musician? I think I saw a recent post of yours about an overdrive review. Seems like you're another overdrive junkie too ...

Kawayan Strat: Geez, man! Your list reads like a who's who of the jazz fusion kingdom You're from Iloilo? Putting two and two together ... hmmmm ... could you by any chance be ... Gabe Ascalon? :)
"No static at all ..."

Chito

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 12:06:06 AM »
Deacon Blues: I just bought the SD 2 Against Nature DVD a couple of months ago. Yeah that guy Jon Herrington plays well. Not surprised tho, they always hired great musicians, guitar players in particular. Like Jeff Baxter, Denny Dias and they even had Mark Knoepfler playing in one of their songs. Reminds me when Rick Derringer was hired to do the solo for "ShowBiz Kids". He was in the studio for 2 weeks doing his parts which ended up 10 seconds long.  :lol:

Well Ottawa, Ontario is my home now. And yeah I've been giggin in here, playin' in bars for the last 12 years now, doing rock covers from the 70's to the present. Have not played with any other pinoy since I moved in here tho.  I think I mentioned in one of the threads that I only know of another pinoy, plays bass, who plays in a band here.

Not really an overdrive junkie, I just had an opportunity to get a Fulltone OCD and thought I'd try it. I'm actually not too thrilled with it as opposed to the Tonebone Classic I have. Maybe I'll sell the OCD. :)

Talking about concerts, I don't know if you are a Clapton fan, but EC is playing here in September.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2006, 12:28:10 AM »
Chito: Hmmm ... a closet jazzer doing rock covers eh ... kinda reminds me of Andy Summers or Alex Skolnick of Testament ...

That's cool, bro! So, I'm sure there's a Santana or Beck tune there somewhere in your setlist ... way to go! ..

I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Tonebone stuff, although I haven't had the opportunity to try one here ... I prefer to dig up those old, obscure brands that nobody pays attention to ...

Clapton? Nah ... I was never into his style - even when he was supposedly at his prime during the Beano years. I don't know why .. it just doesn't grab me. The only time I remember being impressed with him was when I saw an old, old video clip of him playing 'Layla' .. he got this thick, violin-like tone, and I was like "wow! this must be the stuff that Eric Johnson was raving about ...

But hey, isn't this supposed to be a jazz thread? ...  :D
"No static at all ..."

Offline darnel

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2006, 01:29:39 AM »
nicemusic: pede din siguro, part time lng, most of the local jazzers here, have day jobs..

Im a big Jim Hall fan... The guy has played with most of the jazz giants (Bill evans, sonny rollins, ron carter, freddie hubbard, paul desmond, joe lovano etc)..  most of the current jazz guitarists (Metheny, Scofield, Bernstein, Frisell,Abercrombie, Steve Khan, Mike Stern, Rosenwinkel, etc) look up to him for inspiration.. halos lahat sila may influence ni Jim Hall sa pagtugtog.. He really elevated the guitar as an integral part of a jazz ensemble

my favorite jim hall albums include Undercurrent and Interplay with Bill Evans, The Bridge with Sonny Rollins, Live! (Trio album), Live at town Hall,

kay pat metheny naman, Bright Size Life pa rin ako! :) then the album he did with Gary Burton, Chick Corea, Roy Haynes... Like Minds..  :)

John Scofield.. Enroute, Time is of the Essence and Works for me

+1 kay Peter bernstein.. the guy is keeping the old-school jazz guitar playing alive with touches of the more modern sound.. You can really hear influences of Wes, Grant Green and Kenny burrell in his lines pero unmistakeably original and fresh pa din

Pero ngayon anything that has Kurt Rosenwinkel playing, panalo sa kin..
Notes are clever ways of getting from one silence to another

Offline darnel

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 01:32:24 AM »
i know this is a jazz guitar thread, pero i just wanna hear if you guys also listen to other jazz players like Miles, Coltrane, Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett etc...
Notes are clever ways of getting from one silence to another

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 02:52:53 AM »
i love Miles and Coltrane and Charlie Parker. :D
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 02:57:29 AM »
Quote from: markthevirtuoso
I say i'd go for Wes Montgomery's 'Round Midnight and Yesterday because it really touches my heart. Talagang damang-dama ko sila whenever i listen to them. It's full of soul and substance and expression and it speaks in such a way that it touches me emotionally and spiritually. It strikes me in awe that i don't have to worry about the technical aspects of the song. I just wanna listen to the music at that moment and nothing more. :D

Four on Six, Mark. That's THE penultimate WM piece :)
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 03:09:01 AM »
Quote from: titser_marco
I say i'd go for Wes Montgomery's 'Round Midnight and Yesterday because it really touches my heart. Talagang damang-dama ko sila whenever i listen to them. It's full of soul and substance and expression and it speaks in such a way that it touches me emotionally and spiritually. It strikes me in awe that i don't have to worry about the technical aspects of the song. I just wanna listen to the music at that moment and nothing more. :D

I better check that out! :D Honestly, sa youtube.com ko lang napapakinggan yung mga pyesa nya plus some downloaded stuffs. Neto ko lang din kasi pinakinggan si WM. Pero i really find him fresh since nung una ko syang narinig.

Thanks for that suggestion anyway. :D
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 04:20:29 AM »
For clean-tone jazz, I like these people:

JOE PASS
GEORGE BENSON
PAT MARTINO
JIMMY BRUNO
LARRY CARLTON

and one bad motherfunker - CHARLIE HUNTER  :shock:

As for fusion I like these folks:

FRANK GAMBALE
AL DI MEOLA
GREG HOWE
RICHIE KOTZEN
BRETT GARSED
SCOTT HENDERSON

Maybe Tuck Andress falls somewhere here too...

PS Do you like the smooth jazz folks like Norman Brown, Chuck Loeb and some new Larry Carlton?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 05:04:02 AM »
Quote from: titser_marco

I better check that out! :D Honestly, sa youtube.com ko lang napapakinggan yung mga pyesa nya plus some downloaded stuffs. Neto ko lang din kasi pinakinggan si WM. Pero i really find him fresh since nung una ko syang narinig.

Thanks for that suggestion anyway. :D

No worries. I got a live CD of Wes (WM with the Wynton Kelly Trio) at odyssey for 50php! :) I got it without the sleeve though. But then again, who cares when you have such great musicianship on record. :)

Now here are my top jazz LPs:

Miles Davis:
Kind of Blue
Bitches Brew
In A Silent Way
Live-Evil
Tribute to Jack Johnson
Nefertiti

(Yeah, I know that these albums are on the purists' hate lists. I love the fusion era Miles. So [strawberry] amazing.)

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter - 2+2 (Goddamn. Piano and soprano sax and it sounds SO full and complete.)
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline levitate

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 05:16:08 AM »
"Our music is too rock for jazz and too jazzy for rock"-Allan Holdworth
"All night wrong" live is one of my faves.  Even his stint with MVP was incredibly beyond the realm of fluidity.hehe.
Frank Gambale's note worker had some owning tracks like High 5, snooze etc.
Shawn Lane's Esperanto and stint with Hellborg owns!!
John McLaughlin influenced me a lot, Mahavishnu orchestra's Eternitys Breath 1 and 2 has some of the finest lines I've ever heard.

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 08:18:42 AM »
are you guys checking out the suggestion section here in philmusic? mukhang ibabalik ni yung pinoy jazz forum, na may halong blues,, sana nga.. :D
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2006, 12:22:11 AM »
fave ko sila WES M, PAT M, LEE R, JOE P, at marami pang iba, just to share, i met a jazz great and teacher named Clifford Jordan ( may he rest in peace) and he was an interesting guy to talk to.. My mistake was to ask about Kenny G's playing hahahhaha..  kulang na lang batukan ako eh hahahaha hindi lang niya magawa kasi mahina na siya hehehe. anyway sa mga Jazz stations, Jazz critics hate his playing.. that's all.
ps.
i think he didn't get the accolades he deserved pero na feature siya ng KAUNTI sa Time magazine.. Isa din yung pinsan ni Riddick Bowe ( boxer ito remember? ) na isa ding Jazz great. I forgot his name pero Bowe din ang last name.
Music is art in sound...