hulika

Author Topic: do you connect your DAW to the net?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
do you connect your DAW to the net?
« on: June 27, 2007, 06:18:48 PM »
well, do you? are you brave enough? im nervous about it but i have kaspersky at the moment and windows firewall. should i pull the plug now?  :lol:

my internet rig isn't here as of the moment and i absolutely just had to download the new uad software which includes the la3a and the neve 88rs and if i werent such a uad fan id hold off till i get the internet pc back.  but no.

so, if you do connect your DAW to the net how do you protect it from malware?  thanks :)

Hazel
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: do you connect your DAW to the net?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:19:40 PM »
as a rule of thumb, none of my daws are ever connected to the net. my only net connection comes via a older Ibook that is too slow to do anything but surf, do email and type papers.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:51:31 PM »
Yes I DO!

hahaha parang kasal...

Anyway... I have 2 Profiles in my DAW. Ive already mentioned this to KitC on what i did with my PC.

I have a 3 programs that I use that disable and enable everything and anything i want on Windows. One is called TweakXP

here it is...

1st Profile:

Internet Galore! Office Applications, Instant Messengers!... in other words do what you want
BUT!
My Audio Drive for my DAW is disabled during this Profile
All hard drives are visible on Windows Explorer

2nd Profile:

Only Audio Drive, Video Editing Drive and Programs Drive visible on windows explorer
No Antivirus running or any programs running on the background (systray)
Internet Connection not running as well (LAN Restricted)
Only DAW Applications and Applications for Video Editing is allowed to run on this Profile

====

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:22:29 AM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline edgarthewalrus

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 12:28:14 AM »
i used 2 hdd. it's my pc since college so i have a 30g and 40g (jurassic na haha). 30g is used for internet and text documents. 40g is configured for daw.

they are multiboot so i can just choose on start up which hdd i would like to boot up.

mas practical ito instead of having another pc for internet lang. with this setup, you just need another hdd :-D
http://www.hyneriamosssoundscape.wordpress.com
SOLD ITEMS TO foresight, yearling, dread_head, reggaenursenikew, ramnem, child309, dom_pag0ng
BOUGHT ITEMS harkanie27,userzeroone, morphine

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 12:44:23 AM »
so, if you do connect your DAW to the net how do you protect it from malware?  thanks :)

YES!  i even got games installed.

i use AVG free and ad-aware SE personal for protection.  haven't got any problems whatsoever.  and i've only got a single windows installation.  pretty stable.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
hey niuce advice jeps :) salamat!

thanks for all the insight guys.

btw, doesnt virus protection slow down DAW apps?

another question is this:  lets say i have a dual boot system and i surf via linux can a virus enter my pc  and remain dormant until i switch back to xp where it will then wreak havoc on my precious files (and my life ultimately, haha)?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 08:41:55 AM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:33:57 AM »
no i don't.

except here in alabang, where every computer is connected to the net. well, i worry less, coz it's a mac. there was one time when our network was under attack, and every PC (hundreds) in the network was ill (had a virus). well, the computer geeks (a.k.a. geniuses, the likes of kitc) were able to contain the outbreak.

in my personal studio, where i use a pc, i don't. coz i can't afford to hire geeks, and i've bothered kitc quite a number of times already (and i suspect that i might be wearing him out already). haha.

@hazel, regarding virus protection, i'd always be willing to sacrifice cpu power and memory for a good night's sleep, knowing my work isn't likely to fall prey to a virus.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 10:42:11 AM »

another question is this:  lets say i have a dual boot system and i surf via linux can a virus enter my pc  and remain dormant until i switch back to xp where it will then wreak havoc on my precious files (and my life ultimately, haha)?

Technically Linux and MAC are invincible when it comes to viruses :D

Ang problem ko with multiboot. hassle mag reboot ng reboot para mag change ng OS. The best pa rin sakin ang multi-profile pero controlled mo lahat

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 02:21:48 PM »

very true sir jepoy!  think those programmers don't even bother makin viruses for OS.  just goes to show that a lot of people don't like bill gates.  hehe.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »

very true sir jepoy!  think those programmers don't even bother makin viruses for OS.  just goes to show that a lot of people don't like bill gates.  hehe.

just for the record... as of April 2005 there are 120 kinds of viruses that can infect MAC :D i have no idea now kung ilan na ngayon. less than 200 for linux and more than 60,000 known viruses for Windows naman :D

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 10:02:20 PM »
...and more than 60,000 known viruses for Windows naman :D

that's a lot of viruses.  hehe.  the latest internet explorer's pretty secure thus far, basta updated from the microsoft website.  never had probs with it.  it even looks like firefox now.  pero it's still not as secure as firefox or even opera for that matter.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:06:27 PM by x_taxi »

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 10:24:49 AM »
Hazel i used to connect it sa internet but not anymore, nagsawa na ako kaka format ng hard drive eh. now i use a slower pent 4 for surfing kesa mabura yung files sa DAW ko.. 8-)..
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 11:33:42 AM »
Hazel i used to connect it sa internet but not anymore, nagsawa na ako kaka format ng hard drive eh. now i use a slower pent 4 for surfing kesa mabura yung files sa DAW ko.. 8-)..

Ha! ni-retire na ung P4... wawa naman, relegated na to internet duties.  :cry:

Due to the nature of my work, my DAW has to be connected. Still working up the dosh for the C2D pc. The secret is to stay away from memory hogging anti-malware scanners like Norton and McAfee. These TSR proggies consume a lot of memory and cpu cycles due to their constant scanning of your drives.

I used to use NOD32, AVG, AntiVir but I'm now using AOL's free Active Virus Shield which is powered by the Kaspersky engine, one of the best in the biz. It's light on pc resources and the virus definitions are updated daily. It doesn't interfere with my DAW at all. We have a hardware router here which is our first line of defense; I also am using Comodo's free firewall, which is better than ZoneAlarm. I also do frequent scans with Spyware Blaster, Spybot and Adaware, plus AVG's Anti Rootkit proggie.

I've have never been infected by any internet virus ever since. I actually get more worried whenever my kids borrow my usb flashdrive, which usually gets infected with those usb viruses, something AOL finds and cleans easily.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline danleo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
Ako I don't use my DAW to connect to the internet. Delicado kasi, dami ko ng sad experience with DAW connecting to the net. Sa DAW ko walang anti-virus or other malaware protection since hindi ko naman toh kinoconect sa net. Mas faster ang booting and provides lots of memory space and cpu power for DAW applications. :)
You may say I\'m a dreamer. But I\'m not the only one. I know someday you\'ll join us and the world will live as one...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 10:59:45 AM »
Yes because I am too poor to own 2 PCs for separate applications.  But mine has a dual boot...  I scan my PC for viruses often.  And nothing beats being able to send your works to a mastering engineer or clients via internet.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 04:31:37 PM »
check this site www.faronics.com ...it freezes your hard drive to a frozen state and just thaw your drive if you want updates or install applications...recommended setup would be all applications in drive C and all audio data on D...also configure your temp drives of music apps to d:

i use this software for my internet/network gaming computer shop...maski ano gawin ng customers ko ok lang once i reboot the computer, it goes back to it's original state...no anti-virus needed...i even turned off my firewall...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 04:36:43 PM »
yep. i setup my folks' computer shop as well and i sued deep freeze too. however, im not to sure about installing it on my daw.  edge of illusion jepoy suggested a particular deepfreeze config on a DAW and i have yet to try it out :)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 02:57:41 AM »
uy.... napasama yata ako sa usapan :D

yeah pag may time haze ill show you sa DAW ko yung config ko ng DF :)

Offline lwnmwrman

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 04:08:27 AM »
yes, i do...

rackerol!!!! hahaha...

:-o
Don't judge a Injan by his pana!