hulika

Author Topic: Mother Earth reunion sa Strumms?  (Read 7441 times)

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
Mother Earth reunion sa Strumms?
« on: September 21, 2006, 07:33:29 PM »
just caught on RJ TV (of all places) host Harry Tambuatco (Drummer of Harrison Livewire- if you have to ask never mind) announcing a reunion of the Mother Earth band.  names he dropped were Louie Ocampo (moods of Tina?), Gabe Ascalon, Joey Puyat, Colby dela Calzada and Koko Bermejo.  not mentioned was Johhny Alegre..  on October 2 (same day as a scheduled monster jam by members of this forum)...

...ahh guys I think I will kinda go for this reunion gig pending confirmation of course....
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 08:15:53 PM »
I thought Mother Earth was a foreign acid jazz band. I have their tape at home.
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:25:43 PM »
Yup, there is a Mother Earth acid jazz group too.

But before them.. as in the 70s .. there was Mother Earth, the local blues rock fusion supergroup.. Hindi ko na nga sila naabutan eh ... hehehe

A reunion sounds great!
"No static at all ..."

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:37:10 PM »
OT: I'd like to know: Did Ryan Cayabyab ever put out a fusion album? I read it in a Sunday Inquirer article about a music photographer getting hooked on Mr. C's fusion album that led him into music photography.

Thanks, Sirs.
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 09:21:07 PM »
yep back in the 70's title was "roots to routes" or something... one of the cuts was "telebong" whose chorus sounded suspiciously like the chorus of weather report's "birdland" but we wont get into that...

at about the same time eddie munji's pinoy jazz album also came out.
consisting of native pinoy songs that were jazzed up including "Pandanguhan"  of which the intro vamp sounded like the intro riff from Jesus Christ Superstar's "heaven on their minds"....

but for me as a young kid both albums made an impression on me.

siguro a handful of other jazz albums came out along those lines also...
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 01:45:47 PM »
sayang! sarap non grabe! si kuya joey...licks galore nanaman yan!
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 03:11:45 PM »
Ummh... san kaya ako punta, sa Mother Earth reunion or sa EB Jam?  Sama ako kay 3650 kung san siya punta..
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 06:34:34 PM »
i think we have to split up to cover the bases, duon ka sa jam, since i voluntered you he he, ako naman kasi minsan minsan lang itong occasion na ito.. tagal pa naman yun eh.... schedules change.... ano kaya key ng "light my fire"? Am ba or G#m?

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 08:47:36 PM »
Quote from: 3650guy
i think we have to split up to cover the bases, duon ka sa jam, since i voluntered you he he, ako naman kasi minsan minsan lang itong occasion na ito.. tagal pa naman yun eh.... schedules change.... ano kaya key ng "light my fire"? Am ba or G#m?

heheheheh! nice question!!!

diba Am? oh well....
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 09:34:06 PM »
from listening to it, I thought it was a Gm. P_Sushi thinks its Am, so it must be G#m :D

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 12:19:04 AM »
from listening to the cd inbetween G#m and Am but closer to G#m.

we are talking about the verse ha not the intro..

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 07:02:06 PM »
Yep, the Mother Earth reunion is pushing through barring any untoward incidents that may happen to the planet within the next 10 days.

It's going to be at Strumms Jupiter this October 2.  

Will definitely watch.  Confirmed din yung personnel na nabanggit earlier. Plus a whole bunch of female vocalists who have been part of the group. I think the reason there was no mention of Johnny Alegre is because he was actually part of a different band - Phase 2.  (Actually phase two yun ng ME, pero iba pa rin ayon ke Senor JP).

See you guys there.  Actually I'm heading off to their rehearsals tonight.
Uusyoso ba, hehe.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »
they are actually rehearshing?  he he....
that's it, i'm definitely going....

probably some new works in the offing...

yeah i remember phase 2, yun pala yung "Last Refrain", saka "In love with you" with johnny alegre on vocals with joey puyat i think doing the solo's

thanks for the update...

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 07:17:44 AM »
Quote from: kedysanchez
Will definitely watch.  Confirmed din yung personnel na nabanggit earlier. Plus a whole bunch of female vocalists who have been part of the group. I think the reason there was no mention of Johnny Alegre is because he was actually part of a different band - Phase 2.  (Actually phase two yun ng ME, pero iba pa rin ayon ke Senor JP).

That's tempting Keds, it looks like a good lineup. My cousin Cherry Mapua (now known as Cherry Osmena) might be there if they get the old vocalists together. She was the vocalst on Mother Earth's "Trees" (based on the poem by Joyce Kilmer).

However if its on the same night as the PhilMusic EB/Jam at Purple Haze, it's off to the Haze for me... (3650 guy we need you!!) As you might have guessed, between watching and playing I'd rather play anytime. :)

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 10:34:06 AM »
mother earth----"jesse"  i have this song...are they the same guys? :roll:
X-DW user...SPAUN convert!

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 02:22:09 PM »
Alam ko ngang may conflict sa schedules.  was planning to go to the jam "incognito" baga - tipong observer status lang.  However, di ko mapapalusot yung ME reunion.  next time na lang ako pupunta sa next jam, ok....

You're right.  I don't know your cousin personally, but Joey mentioned Cherry, actually she was first from a list that's why I remembered her.  In fact, Mari Cancio seems to have met her.

Because of the suden strong downpour, I missed their rehearsals.

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »
Sorry Jim, was a little sleepy pa while doing my previous post.  Had to read your post again to fully understand....

Ah, so you're also playing in the jam?  Sayang, that would be a chance sana to play with you again.  Sali ako next time, okay lang?

Just to fill you in, though I missed the rehearsal of ME, I still had one of my lifelong wishes come true with being able to play side by side with THE Joey Puyat last night.

Aside from OD, we have this small group called WORKING STIFF and we're trying to play the music of our era, yung so-called pogi jazz ngayon.  We had a gig at Strumms and we featured Joey to play with us.  He jammed on tunes like Deodato's Moonlight Serenade, Spyro's Loving You, Jeff Gollum's Cold Duck Time, and traded licks on Carlton's Sleepwalk.

Dream come true, man.  Remember how I used to cut class from the Grade School just to walk to the HS Covered courts and listen to Joey play Pablo Cruiz and "Why Does Love Have To Be So Sad?".

Have to admit though that compared to him, nagtunog akong Miniong.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
and to drum up some interest...
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 04:29:46 PM »
from my worn out copy of Jingle Extra music mag no3 (circa 1978) at three pesos a copy.

Jazz Offerings for May. concert at the UP theater May 27 1978!!
article writer - Ces Rodriguez (excellent writeup indeed)

Band lineup :

1. Sunlight.  Ed Jose - keyboards, Gabe Ascalon - gtrs, Richie Quirino - drums, Tots Tolentino - sax, Ed Carino - bass
Performed : Lady Cosmic Dream, Wonderer, Kings of Cups, Mystic Joy, and Sunrise.

2. Mother Earth. Joey Puya - gtrs, Larry Martinez - keyboards, Uly Avante -percussion, Colby dela Calzada - bass, Harry Tambuatco - drums, Cynthia Patag - vocals.
Performed : Speedball, Mardi Grass, Great Stream, Samba de Sausalito.
(non originals ata).

3. UP Jazz Ensemble. Prof. Ed Robles - rhodes, Eggy Moran - drums, Ike liongson -bass, Tots Tolentino - sax, Ray Ama - flute, Tenor and Alto Sax, Rayben Maigue - trumpet, Uly Avante -perc, Pepito Bosch - bells
Performed 12 covers, Corea improvs by Prof. Ed Robles, and lastly Maiden Voyage (Hancock).

4. Phase II - Johnny Alegre plus the rest of Mother Earth (he he)
Performed : Alegre originals Wind above / Water Below, Hexagram, Hermes and Sphere of Light and Joy

a monster jam followed.

I really had to condense this well written piece, but believe me it was detailed, had insight and was opinionated! maybe if space permits and permissions are granted he he...

if the names mentioned mean anything to you then we would be a minority here of perhaps 10 philmusic members?

must have been a great night for pinoy jazz/ fusion...

---------------------------
yey Jingle!

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 04:36:09 PM »
nagtunog akong Miniong.

... tell me that you were not dissing Miniong (pinoy guitarist)...

gotta have respect for the elders bro...

ok back to the thread.

i really will try my best to catch up with the e.b. jam..
san nga ba yun  the Haze?

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 03:49:05 PM »
Quote from: kedysanchez

Aside from OD, we have this small group called WORKING STIFF and we're trying to play the music of our era, yung so-called pogi jazz ngayon.  We had a gig at Strumms and we featured Joey to play with us.  He jammed on tunes like Deodato's Moonlight Serenade, Spyro's Loving You, Jeff Gollum's Cold Duck Time, and traded licks on Carlton's Sleepwalk

When's the next time? I'll try to catch your group.

BTW, my colleagues in college called me Miniong because I was the club guitarist... di pa kasi uso nun mga digital synths e...

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 09:40:56 PM »
Dispensa.  Meant no disrespect to anyone. especially to Cafeteria Aroma musical director, Senor Villegas.  Had to chance to even watch him record a few songs at the former Greenhill Sound.  Even met her daughter when she was still trying out her vocal chords ages ago.

If there was a guitar player who wasn't worthy that night, it was me, not Senor.

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 09:44:48 PM »
Dispensa.  Meant no disrespect to anyone. especially to Cafeteria Aroma musical director, Senor Villegas.  Had to chance to even watch him record a few songs at the former Greenhill Sound.  Even met her daughter when she was still trying out her vocal chords ages ago.

If there was a guitar player who wasn't worthy that night, it was me, not Senor.

Purple Haze is the very first club you'll see if you're turning from E. Rodriguez to Morato.  Pagliko niyo, just look to your left.  Kita niyo agad yun.

3650guy, I guess I'm one of em 10 minority members....

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 02:08:54 PM »
sheesh good to be back, i was monitoring the forum on the tiny screen of a nokia n80.. mahirap ata mag post no...

anyway where was I? yeah see you guys tomorrow at strumms and at the "Haze" time permitting... and barring no power outtages he he...

@kedy no biggie / no problem...

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 12:40:57 AM »
Quote from: 3650guy
sheesh good to be back, i was monitoring the forum on the tiny screen of a nokia n80.. mahirap ata mag post no...

Hey we have the same phone :) And all the while I thought you were a Nokia 3650 kind of guy. At the height of the Internet outage at home (DSL lines were down) I succumbed to my addiction resorted to using Smart 3G (10 pesos per half hour, not bad!) and the N80 as a 3G modem and was able to navigate (and post in) the forum quite decently.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 11:36:32 AM »
first smartphone was a 3650 (still my fave though) then a 3230 then finally a N80. so you were still posting from a pc using your n80 for internet connectivity right? or you actually typed on the n80?