hulika

Author Topic: What do you want to learn about recording?  (Read 311013 times)

Offline RazrX

Re: What do you want to learn about recording?
« Reply #375 on: March 28, 2010, 06:57:12 PM »
Try to think of a compressor as an 'automatic volume control' but with more flexibility. Typically, we use compressors to catch peaks before it enters the interface so that we can prevent digital clipping. With the advent of 24-bit recording, the increased headroom has allowed us to record without needing a compressor because compressors sometimes add their own color and character to a sound. A good example is Urei/UA 1176 which has been used in numerous recordings, or the classic DBX 160.

In live sound, some engineers use a compressor after the master outputs to tame peaks before going into the PA system. This helps prevent burning out the speakers at times. Another common usage is 'ducking', commonly heard in broadcast voice-overs where music is automatically lowered whenever a DJ talks into a mic.

Thanks,, KitC!  :-D
Medyo nalito ako kasi yung pagkakaintindi ko dapat Compressor muna bago PreAmp.. Thanks ulit!  :-D

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #376 on: March 29, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
I remember someone asking about EQ frequencies and fixing the muddiness of his recordings and, since I had a saved copy of a frequency chart I got off the web somewhere, to help out I posted the pic for his perusal. Unfortunately, I had since forgotten where I copied it from. It may or may not have helped but I found the website again and am posting the link for everyone's benefit. I said it may or may not help because I'm sure the pros here don't need this as they can trust their ears to figure out frequencies for them but for some of us mere mortals, it should turn out to be an eye opener--or an ear opener for that matter. Be sure to hover your cursor over certain areas of the chart as there are bits of info that opens up when you do. Here it is:

http://independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline wratharrow

• Philmusicus Noobitus
PATCH BAYS!
« Reply #377 on: March 29, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »
can someone please kindly explain to me the concept of patch bays and how you use them?

Offline palaka

« Reply #378 on: March 31, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »
sir tanung ko lang po kung safe po ba yung gagawin ko presonus firestudio tapus phone connect ko sa peavey mixer para gamit ko na monitor ng nagrerecord.tnx

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: PATCH BAYS!
« Reply #379 on: April 04, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »
can someone please kindly explain to me the concept of patch bays and how you use them?

A little google wouldn't hurt...

http://homerecording.com/patchbay.html

A patchbay is useful if you have lots of gear and do frequent patching and re-patching of cables. Patchbays ease the wear and tear on the 1/4" PL connectors or XLR sockets by moving the connections to a panel closer to your mix position while allowing you to somewhat 'permanently' affix the connections to the rear of your equipment.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline wratharrow

• Philmusicus Noobitus
connecting a mixer to the digi 003 rack
« Reply #380 on: April 04, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »
the digi003 is a very interesting piece of hardware on its own but here's what i'd like to know: what are some compatible mixing boards/consoles (analog or digital, motorized or not - doesnt matter) that could work with the digi003 rack, and how do the 2 pieces of hardware connect with each other?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #381 on: April 06, 2010, 10:51:22 AM »
The 003 rack connects either via 1/4" PL to any analog or digital mixer, preferably an 8-bus. Examples of analog 8-bus mixers are the Mackie 32.8, Allen & Heath GL2800, Soundcraft GB8 or Live 8 series, Yamaha MG24, and many others. Most connection is via balanced or unbalanced 1/4" PL connectors; in some cases, the bus outputs also use balanced XLR connections.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #382 on: April 07, 2010, 11:58:25 AM »
For the longest time, I've noticed that a lot of guys coming almost exclusively from the more "mature" (is that politically correct enough?) group refer to TRS/TS plugs as "PL" plugs. Can anyone provide a brief background as to its etymology and meaning? What about RCA vs Phono? Just for completeness, what does XLR mean?
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #383 on: April 08, 2010, 09:41:24 AM »
PL actually stands for phone line since that connector got it's start in telephony (I was with the phone company for about 12 yrs). I actually referred to the PL plugs as TS/TRS, but it usually confused a lot of people so I reverted.

The RCA or phono plug, since it was regularly used with turntables (or phonographs), got it's name from it's maker, the Radio Corporation of America or more commonly known as RCA.

From wiki: The XLR connector is an electrical connector design. XLR plugs and sockets are used mostly in professional audio and video electronics  cabling applications, for microphones and line level signals. Home audio and video electronics normally use RCA connectors for line level signals generated by a preamplifier. Phone plugs are also used for microphones in home and computer applications.

In reference to its original manufacturer, James H. Cannon, founder of Cannon Electric in Los Angeles, California (now part of ITT Corporation), the connector is colloquially known as a cannon plug or cannon connector. Originally the "Cannon X" series, subsequent versions added a Latch ("Cannon XL") and then a Rubber compound surrounding the contacts, which led to the abbreviation XLR.[1] Many companies now make XLRs. The initials "XLR" have nothing to do with the pinout of the connector. XLR connectors can have other numbers of pins besides three.

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #384 on: April 09, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »
PL actually stands for phone line since that connector got it's start in telephony (I was with the phone company for about 12 yrs). I actually referred to the PL plugs as TS/TRS, but it usually confused a lot of people so I reverted.

The RCA or phono plug, since it was regularly used with turntables (or phonographs), got it's name from it's maker, the Radio Corporation of America or more commonly known as RCA.

From wiki: The XLR connector is an electrical connector design. XLR plugs and sockets are used mostly in professional audio and video electronics  cabling applications, for microphones and line level signals. Home audio and video electronics normally use RCA connectors for line level signals generated by a preamplifier. Phone plugs are also used for microphones in home and computer applications.

In reference to its original manufacturer, James H. Cannon, founder of Cannon Electric in Los Angeles, California (now part of ITT Corporation), the connector is colloquially known as a cannon plug or cannon connector. Originally the "Cannon X" series, subsequent versions added a Latch ("Cannon XL") and then a Rubber compound surrounding the contacts, which led to the abbreviation XLR.[1] Many companies now make XLRs. The initials "XLR" have nothing to do with the pinout of the connector. XLR connectors can have other numbers of pins besides three.

And now we know...Thanks, Sir!

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #385 on: April 13, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »
I have an inquiry about the practice of matching speaker and amp wattages. I know that one or the other should have a higher wattage but I don't know which one. I have a Yamaha NS-20M and the specs are: Impedance 8 ohms, nominal input 80 watts, music input 160 watts. Those are the exact words written on the model/sticker info at the back. From this, does my amp have to have more or less wattage than 80 or 160? How much more or less? Or should they be equal? While you're at it, could you please explain the reason behind it? Thanks!

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #386 on: April 22, 2010, 06:26:27 PM »
Sir I just bought Cakewalk Sonar7. How will I know which version (32-bit or 64-bit) to install? Is it related with my OS (Win7 64-bit)? Thanks!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #387 on: April 23, 2010, 11:47:27 AM »
Sir I just bought Cakewalk Sonar7. How will I know which version (32-bit or 64-bit) to install? Is it related with my OS (Win7 64-bit)? Thanks!

Use the 64-bit version as much as possible, but if you have a lot of 32-bit plugs you would like to use, you might have to use the 32-bit version. Supposedly, bitbridge takes care of the conversion to 64-bit, but most plugs are still 32-bit today. Still, it doesn't hurt to experiment, and 64-bit is beneficial if you have sampling software, lots of ram and a huge library of samples.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #388 on: April 23, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »
Use the 64-bit version as much as possible, but if you have a lot of 32-bit plugs you would like to use, you might have to use the 32-bit version. Supposedly, bitbridge takes care of the conversion to 64-bit, but most plugs are still 32-bit today. Still, it doesn't hurt to experiment, and 64-bit is beneficial if you have sampling software, lots of ram and a huge library of samples.
Tnx sir Kit!!!
Another question sir. Para saan yung Ableton and ano pagkakaiba niya sa Sonar? Noob question. :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #389 on: April 24, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »
Para saan yung Ableton and ano pagkakaiba niya sa Sonar? Noob question. :-)

Ableton is primarily a loop- or pattern-based sequencer. It operates on the principle of triggering midi and audio loops/patterns. Unlike Sonar, which is linear, meaning the sequence proceeds along a single time line, Ableton can trigger lots of loops as the sequence progresses. Ableton's strength also lies in it's pitch/tempo algorithm which allows you to modify, in real time, the tempo of the sequence while not affecting the pitch of the audio loops. It's one reason why DJ's and remixers easily took to this software - it takes a mindset that is familiar with pattern sequencing.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #390 on: April 24, 2010, 05:40:14 PM »
Ableton is primarily a loop- or pattern-based sequencer. It operates on the principle of triggering midi and audio loops/patterns. Unlike Sonar, which is linear, meaning the sequence proceeds along a single time line, Ableton can trigger lots of loops as the sequence progresses. Ableton's strength also lies in it's pitch/tempo algorithm which allows you to modify, in real time, the tempo of the sequence while not affecting the pitch of the audio loops. It's one reason why DJ's and remixers easily took to this software - it takes a mindset that is familiar with pattern sequencing.
Ah ok gets ko sir Kit maraming salamat!!!
Another question sir. Naguumpisa kasi ako ngayon ng midi. Medyo nahihirapan ako sir eh.Akala ko parang fruityloops lang.May website ba kayong mabibigay sir na pwede makatulong sa akin? Dami ko rin gusto matutunan about Sonar7. :-o

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »
Sir another question. Gamit kong usb interface is line6 POD xt. Kapag ginagamit ko yung Sonar7, may naiibang settings sa POD XT. May idea ba kayo sir bakit nagkakaganun?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #392 on: April 26, 2010, 10:09:50 AM »
Sir another question. Gamit kong usb interface is line6 POD xt. Kapag ginagamit ko yung Sonar7, may naiibang settings sa POD XT. May idea ba kayo sir bakit nagkakaganun?

Sonar likes to send 'local off' midi messages to attached devices that have midi capability. It usually assumes that you have a midi keyboard attached and if it doesn't send a local off, you may experience a midi endless loop where midi data is re-transmitted (echoed) by Sonar from the data it receives from the keyboard, which in turn transmits the data over and over... with me so far?

You can set Sonar to not transmit anything by unchecking some items in Global Options, but you might have to go deeper and edit the aud.ini or other .ini files that Sonar refers to during startup. The help file has hints on how to edit the .ini files.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #393 on: May 02, 2010, 11:41:46 AM »
Sonar likes to send 'local off' midi messages to attached devices that have midi capability. It usually assumes that you have a midi keyboard attached and if it doesn't send a local off, you may experience a midi endless loop where midi data is re-transmitted (echoed) by Sonar from the data it receives from the keyboard, which in turn transmits the data over and over... with me so far?

You can set Sonar to not transmit anything by unchecking some items in Global Options, but you might have to go deeper and edit the aud.ini or other .ini files that Sonar refers to during startup. The help file has hints on how to edit the .ini files.
Wow tnx sir Kit!!

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #394 on: May 11, 2010, 06:08:29 PM »
Sir tanong ko lang paano ba ako magmulti-track recording ng live example sa concert?

Offline melodic_claws

« Reply #395 on: June 02, 2010, 06:16:55 PM »
Hello mga ser,

Binabasa ko tong forum at nakakatuwa kasi ang dami kong natututunan though yung iba ang hirap i apply as iba iba kasi yung DAW at interfaces na ginamit. Just want to hear pieces(madami talaga kelangan ko kasi talagang baguhan ako sa field) of advices from the expert.

My set up is the just simple for multi track recording. A guitar/bass/mic-->zoom g2.1u-->PC(cubase LE4) Since wala po kaming drummer, we uses drum machine softwares na tinimpla ko rin according to my taste.

Layin nung mga mga tunog, ayus naman, all are sync according to my ear's satisfaction.

Here are my questions. Sana po masagot nyo mga ser

1. Yung drum machine, pano sya lalabas na real drums. Na satisfy ako nung na hybrid ko sya acoustic mixcraft5 by using compressor plugins. May iba bang teknik na pwedeng gamitin (metal pala ang genre ng tugtugan so more of malutong na snares and double bass drums

2. Pag kinocompare ko yung mga advertise professional CD sa ginawa kong output.. Parang payat ang tunog nung sa akin.. Tinaasan ko na up to 4-5 decibel gamit ang adobe audition ang output(sama ang mga hard limiting and many more efx na mapapalakas at mapapganda ang output ng recording). May settings ba ako na dapat i set sa cubase in terms of output production?

3. Say naka 3 songs ka na, pano mo papantayin ang decibel output nito kung i burn mo na sa CD. yung tipong pantay lahat.

4. Sa vocals, I am using Shure mic PG58, paano papaangatin ang tunog ng vox at pati na rin ang bass(by pass lang to walang efx para hindi maghalo sa tunog ng gitara)? May teknik din ba dito or efx or any hybrid utility na pwedeng gamitin?

Yan po muna ang aking queries. Sana po hindi kayo naguluhan sa mga tanong ko.. any suggestions, responses will be highly appreciated.

-Jas Wolf

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #396 on: June 03, 2010, 01:37:18 AM »
Sir tanong ko lang paano ba ako magmulti-track recording ng live example sa concert?
you need a multitrack soundcard. check if your mixer has direct outs.
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #397 on: June 04, 2010, 07:36:58 AM »
1. Yung drum machine, pano sya lalabas na real drums. Na satisfy ako nung na hybrid ko sya acoustic mixcraft5 by using compressor plugins. May iba bang teknik na pwedeng gamitin (metal pala ang genre ng tugtugan so more of malutong na snares and double bass drums

You can only go so far with a drum machine especially if the sounds are repetitive. Real drummers use dynamics and often add fills and flourishes that are not easily done with a drum machine. As for sound, eq and compression can get you close, refer to this: http://noise101.wikidot.com/metal-drum-guide

2. Pag kinocompare ko yung mga advertise professional CD sa ginawa kong output.. Parang payat ang tunog nung sa akin.. Tinaasan ko na up to 4-5 decibel gamit ang adobe audition ang output(sama ang mga hard limiting and many more efx na mapapalakas at mapapganda ang output ng recording). May settings ba ako na dapat i set sa cubase in terms of output production?

Again, try reading through the link above. Pay special attention to part 5, but by all means, read everything!

3. Say naka 3 songs ka na, pano mo papantayin ang decibel output nito kung i burn mo na sa CD. yung tipong pantay lahat.

Mastering is the key when comparing the levels of several songs. Stick to mixing your song the way you want it to sound, mastering can come later.

4. Sa vocals, I am using Shure mic PG58, paano papaangatin ang tunog ng vox at pati na rin ang bass(by pass lang to walang efx para hindi maghalo sa tunog ng gitara)? May teknik din ba dito or efx or any hybrid utility na pwedeng gamitin?

Again, eq and compression plus several other techniques that should be learned over time. Head over to http://bamaudioschool.com/ and start studying! It's free so try to pick up a few techniques.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #398 on: June 05, 2010, 02:04:03 AM »
Sir tanong ko lang, hindi ba advisable na gumamit ng iba't-ibang audio interface sa recording? Example: I'm recording using Sonar7. When I record guitar parts, POD xt ang audio interface ko. After recording all the guitar and bass parts, palitan ko naman yung audio interface ko to Samson GTRACK USB condenser mic. Pansin ko parang nagkakaproblema yung Sonar7 eh. :?

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #399 on: June 05, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
limitado pa alam ko sa recording pero nakapag compare ko jts tm969 saka shure sm57,
hindi ko lang sure kung ok nagawa kong comparison sa video  :?

post ko na rin baka makatulong kahit papaano  :lol:

strat>mambalaw>reverb>roland bc-30> mic > ux2

nasubukan ko na din pala same mic sa parehas na mic 1&2 input, magkaiba din sila ng volume level kahit parehas ng settings sa knob? :?
may problem kaya yung interface?

kaya mic input 1 lang din ginamit ko sa video (mas malakas s'ya compare sa mic input2)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 05:46:16 PM by arkeetar »