hulika

Author Topic: CLICK TRACK SLOWING DOWN  (Read 1007 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
CLICK TRACK SLOWING DOWN
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:59:22 PM »
what causes the click track to change in speed ? i have recorded a perfectly played performance in synced with the click track and after a day or two, have noticed the click track slowing down in certain parts. is it
caused by the computer's internal clock if there is one, the software's (Nuendo4) fault or the ad/da converter???  any remedy to this??  thanks.. 8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline Blueberri

Re: CLICK TRACK SLOWING DOWN
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:08:20 PM »
click track is midi?

i sometimes feel like this is happening too.

iI was once told that slight surges sa power supply can sometimes cause this. not confirmed though.

this might have something to do with the internal clock.

I hope someone can shed some light on this matter. :?

Offline banonie

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:07:07 AM »
sir tignan mo din yung tempo track ctrl + t lang baka meron tempo changes tapos erase lang using the erares tool. hope this will help! :?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »
Are you dubbing to the click or the recorded performance? If the click track is giving you problems, why not just mute it and lay in new tracks to the recorded drum tracks?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 03:43:41 AM »
Are you dubbing to the click or the recorded performance? If the click track is giving you problems, why not just mute it and lay in new tracks to the recorded drum tracks?
i was thinking about that - laying down new tracks to the drum tracks but the producer wanted to replace the drum tracks, and also for future recordings i dont want to have that same problem again.. do you think the click timing variation is caused by the computer, software or ad converter? i am thinking of using a clock or just slave it to another ad converter..
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »
Most tempo clicks in DAWs use an audio sample but I've heard of problems when using that method. Try midi instead using your Rolands. Midi is usually more stable as a click source. Did you change sample rates by any chance?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 12:38:09 PM »
Most tempo clicks in DAWs use an audio sample but I've heard of problems when using that method. Try midi instead using your Rolands. Midi is usually more stable as a click source. Did you change sample rates by any chance?
what about using the click on a drum machine? i am thinking of using that instead and recording that on a separate track..  i didn't change the sample rate... i was thinking it might be because i recorded it in win7 64 and now recording again in win XP.. i did it in win7 because the mackie controller was more responsive and loading was faster. i guess i have to stick with XP still.. :oops:
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
I'm not 100% sure about asio in win7 64-bit although my experience with Sonar has been very good; could be a Steinberg issue (as usual). AFAIK, the WASAPI protocol should have addressed any timing issues with win7.

I'm not sure about recording the drum machine although it will work. However, unless you start on the bar:beat, editing can be a problem. Slave the drum machine to Cubase to eliminate midi sync issues, but try recording audio of the click for the duration of the song then see if it lines up with the grid. (I hope I explained that right)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 02:31:54 PM »
yeah i guesss recording the click on the grid will be the best test to see if it really messes up the timing..thanks kitC.. will try that tomorrow, our good friend doc Eric will visit me to test his Neumann mic and also will audition his Ramirez guitar - i can only dream of owning this nice piece of instrument hehehehe..
Music is art in sound...