hulika

Author Topic: question for LP/SG users  (Read 1600 times)

Offline bembang_jones

• Veteran Member
question for LP/SG users
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:26:32 PM »
guys how do you align the bridge whenever you replace guitar strings? tsaka gaano ba dapat kakapal yung string na ginagamit sa LPs/SGs niyo?thanks!

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
question for LP/SG users
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:35:41 PM »
hindi necessary na makapal ang strings but it would make a diffrence sa tone, right now I'm using 10's, but jimmy page and angus young uses 9's on their guitars, but with alighnment, kailangan mo trust rod adjustment if your planning to change gauge, intonation pa and then string height plus pickup height din.

The Blues is the Roots, everything else is the Fruits.-Willie Dixon

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
question for LP/SG users
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 10:29:52 AM »
Quote from: tony2tone
hindi necessary na makapal ang strings but it would make a diffrence sa tone, right now I'm using 10's, but jimmy page and angus young uses 9's on their guitars, but with alighnment, kailangan mo trust rod adjustment if your planning to change gauge, intonation pa and then string height plus pickup height din.

you don't need truss rod adjustments and pickup height adjustments if you change from 9s to 10s and vice versa.

you'd only need to intonate.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline jinno

• Veteran Member
question for LP/SG users
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 01:33:10 PM »
yup, all you need is a tuner and a screwdriver for that.

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
question for LP/SG users
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 03:20:43 PM »
to intonate (rough way) just do a 12th fret harmonic and adjust the screw to make the freted note the same as the 12th fret harmonic. Make sure you use new strings when adjusting for intonation tho.

As for strings.. i use 10's to eb... sometimes i use 11's but it gets hard after a while. LP's "in general (not absolutely)" have very strong necks and can handle the higher guages plus the short scale makes 9's feel very loose so id suggest 10's. Post ka naman pics ng guitara mo :)

Offline bembang_jones

• Veteran Member
question for LP/SG users
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 11:09:51 PM »
ah thanks for the infos sir.. heheh i don't own 1 just a GAX70 lang....i'm frustrated to own an SG..hehehe

Offline manilacoke3

• Forum Fanatic
question for LP/SG users
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 07:05:13 PM »
i do a "tancha-tancha" (intonation b twag dun,hehe), whenever i change strings. im using ernieball custom 9-42 now on my LP copy. lagay strings tpos go tuning, then check for buzzes, then raise d bridge/saddles.yun lng.hehe. di ko alm kung tama but its how i do it. :wink:
1993 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
1996 Squier Pro Tone Series Fat Strat MIK
2011 Epiphone '59 ES-335 Limited Ed. CS

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
question for LP/SG users
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 07:31:31 PM »
the tension/stress applied to the neck changes when you change string gauge. you sure a truss rod adjustment wouldn't be necessary?
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
question for LP/SG users
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 05:33:03 AM »
Quote from: Al_Librero
the tension/stress applied to the neck changes when you change string gauge. you sure a truss rod adjustment wouldn't be necessary?

IMHO, it can be necessary although it'll be minimal. I have a guitar which I think has a soft wood for a neck so it really shows when the string tension increases and vice versa.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
question for LP/SG users
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 08:17:36 AM »
sa tingin ko necessary mag adjust ng neck ..kasi nag iiba yung tension depende sa string gauge e..

i got 10's on my sg.. but it doesnt match my pickups. medyo muddy..

for a long time ive been planning to change the pickups...hay..  :cry:
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline jinno

• Veteran Member
question for LP/SG users
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 11:26:26 AM »
IMHO kung galing ka sa 10's na gauge tapos kakapalan mo to 11's, you don't need to adjust the truss rod. pero kung medyo drastic ang change mo like from 9's to 12's - e pihit na yan.