hulika

Author Topic: Guitarists' view on Emo music  (Read 70765 times)

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Guitarists' view on Emo music
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 11:07:55 PM »
Hey, cool thread!
This Emo thing got me curious...From what I'm reading, Emo music concentrates on songwriting, lyrical content and loud guitar riffs...
Don't they sound like the resurgence of the Seattle-sound during the early 90's?
You know like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, Mother LOve Bone, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc...

Hey paengkee okay mga links ah! 8-)
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 11:10:42 PM »
Emo songs usually have those "scaling" mini leads. Mainly pagkatapos ng isang line ng lyrics.. biglang "wene-wenew" (scaling lead sound effect)

Pansin nyo din?
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline IncX

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 11:26:26 PM »

i like emo better than kupaw music....

although too much of any music genre does get me fed up.

i love Thursday... and dashboard confessional, hehehehehe.... i cant write songs like em though...

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 11:49:41 PM »
trip ko rin yung ibang kanta ng Dashboard Confessional pero i never knew na EMO pala sila ? di ko naman sila nakikita pumorma kagaya mga tipong hati yung buhok sa gilid tapos takip yung isang side ng mukha or naka eye liners or hikaw kung saan saan part ng mukha ?

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 11:55:52 PM »
Ok na ok ung EMO!!! (wag sana akong awayin ng mga metalheads!)

Mahaba din kasi yung istorya nitong genre na toh but for me its just an evolution of the pop-punk genre...
the guitar hooks, the catchy melodies... mrami lang siguro syang na-absorb na ibang influence like metal,hardcore,the cure, the smiths, glam and etc kaya nagkaganun.. hehehehe!!

I liked the post-hardcore stuff (Handsome etc) but FACE TO FACE really must be the link between punk rock and the "menaced" EMo genre...

there are some good practioners of the genre...which is a matter of taste... lets just listen to the ones that we like>>>  Yung mga gusto ko is Coheed and Cambria (happy brooding with proggy textures) at Taking Back Sunday (tearjerking heartache feelgood music)...
AYUZ!!!
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline cryingfreeman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
ok flame me for being an emo noob. but sir paengkee, tnx for the links! to be honest, its my first time to listen to that kind of music... no joke! haha! all the while i thought emo were bands like As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, etc..

Going back to the links, they sounded like a Sandwich-Pedicab jam... is that emo?

Seriously, is Sandwich-Pedicab jam an emo kind of genre?

Offline danleo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 12:10:46 AM »
Emo??? Just like nung papasok na sa music industry yung Grunge music which eventually put many hair metal bands out of commission. Dami ayaw sa grunge when it came bcoz of blah blah blah... Pero seriously emo is a great genre. I love emo the first time I heard it. Most of the lyrics speaks about love, life and family and I like it. I remember those years 1999-2002 were patok na patok yung mga rap metal bands like linkin park and some pinoy bands. I never listen to those stuff and I didnt gave it a chance. Those times I listen mostly Hardcore (Yung wlang halong rap), Punk, Alternative, Grunge, Metal and many others. I was more into a traditional rock music and I really hate those band integrating hiphop music to rock music that time. Pero it was after 2 years that I learn to appreciate the music. Ok naman pla and its not that crappy after all. I learned to respect every music there is and they are great in their own unique way. Now I don't call myself a rocker, mas maganda pala musician (kahit anong genre its still music). Nomatter what we do or hate this genre Emo we'll surely be here to stay in the mainstreme for a couple of years or more, just like as grunge music did...:) Peace lang tayo... hehehehhe
You may say I\'m a dreamer. But I\'m not the only one. I know someday you\'ll join us and the world will live as one...

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 12:20:10 AM »
ok flame me for being an emo noob. but sir paengkee, tnx for the links! to be honest, its my first time to listen to that kind of music...

Pre pareho lang tayo. Hindi rin ako familiar dito e. Kaya buti may thread na ganito.
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 01:04:34 AM »
No doubt that a lot of them are good musicians who know their gear and tone. What I don't like about the music are the vocals. Can't stand the whining.

amen sir
it's like emo kids are the only ones who endure suffering and sadness in this world...
and isn't the way you handle these problems define how much of a person you are...
so how much of a person is someone who whines and cries in front of all people to see...
time to sober up kids...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:25:37 AM by fraudulentzodiac »

Offline jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 03:46:10 AM »
ok lang emo...kanya kanya trip yan. pero tanong lang, bakit palagin sawi sa pg ibig sila? parang love song na pa cool? hehehe tanong lang po yan ha!  :mrgreen:
emo is short for 'emotional' kaya ganun.. dati hardcore punk sila na nadefine na emo kasi melodic at sawi ang lyrics.. thats in the late 80's i think with the band minor threat.. tapos nagkaron na ng ptomise ring, etc. nauso sa tao kasi nakakarelate sila tapos ngaun, ginagamit na ng major labels para kumita.. nagblossom ang emo sa mainstream music tapos naging baduy at iisa nalang ang tunog.. try listening to dashboard confessional, saosin, matchbook romance, etc, maririnig mo sa TYPECAST un.. walang pagkakaiba ung tunog nila.. pero to save dashboard confessional, maganda ung solo palang siya, pero nung naging band na, nyek.. at ang weird ng 'emo look' ngaun.. too bad almost all production nowadays are full of emo.. the only em band that i like is thrice because theyre different from the 'common emo sound' at chaka pala alkaline trio.. :-D
geeesh

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 04:14:27 AM »
No doubt that a lot of them are good musicians who know their gear and tone. What I don't like about the music are the vocals. Can't stand the whining.

Same thing.

And your point being?

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 04:28:19 AM »
Paengkee, I listened to the music that you linked to.  Pareho lang ang dating para sa akin.  Pero kanya-kanyang trip lang talaga yan.  Aegis ba kaya niyong sakyan?  Kinakanta ko pa sa videoke yon!   :wink: 

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 04:46:42 AM »
Kung makikinig nga pala ako ng emo, eto lang siguro: http://www.soundclick.com/odiephilippines

Enjoy shredfans!  :-D

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 05:28:22 AM »
very repetitive

all emo bands sound identical, guitar-wise

in short - ho-humm boring

I don't like emo but I beg to disagree. On a basic level, the same argument can be used against blues players, but no says they sound just the same. Qualify, please.

I was about to say the same thing. Mind-reader!

Anyway, emo is a just genre that will have its haters as in all types of music. All reasons for disliking emo are valid because they all subjective and personal to the person.

Emo is what the public wants and thats what makes money for the damn record companies. We just have to thank emo for making guitar "tones" popular or mainstream. A newbie will get interested in guitar because of what he heard in some emo band playing on the radio.

And if emo music gets the girls....... shouldn't we all embrace emo  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 05:35:12 AM by Letour »
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 05:51:42 AM »
emo is ok. ibahin na lang sana nila yung type of voice na ginagamit nila. parang kasing babae na lalake na.... :? parang lalake na gustong maging... babae... :?

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 05:58:52 AM »
Emo sucks.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 06:43:40 AM »
it still sounds like rock to me :lol:

makes me wonder what they're whining about, though. they're making a living playing music. their music. out here, the only way to make a living making music is by covering pop songs.

about calling it "the next grunge." for the sake of future guitar players, i'd rather not. having to go through grunge once is enough for me. good music, but not much candy for guitar players. i started playing in the grunge years pero if you look at my cassette collection, except for the RHCP bssm, collective soul and siamese pumpkin's gish, most of it is music from the 80s to late 90s. my friends called me a dinosaur. :lol:

if you're an average guitar player you cant pick a favorite player in one whole genre because none of them play better than you, something is seriously wrong.

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 07:52:01 AM »
it still sounds like rock to me :lol:

makes me wonder what they're whining about, though. they're making a living playing music. their music. out here, the only way to make a living making music is by covering pop songs.

about calling it "the next grunge." for the sake of future guitar players, i'd rather not. having to go through grunge once is enough for me. good music, but not much candy for guitar players. i started playing in the grunge years pero if you look at my cassette collection, except for the RHCP bssm, collective soul and siamese pumpkin's gish, most of it is music from the 80s to late 90s. my friends called me a dinosaur. :lol:

if you're an average guitar player you cant pick a favorite player in one whole genre because none of them play better than you, something is seriously wrong.

Thanks for the very informative site...

The "next grunge"?! Ohhhhh helllll no!!!! Boses palang malayo na...hehehehe...

Sir paengkee could you give me names of emo bands nung mga late 90's I'd surely love to hear them.

So bands like my chemical romance, fall out boy etc etc are called Mall Emo
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:23:54 AM by kurtcobainer »

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

sa lahat ng emo bands na yan, iilan lang nagustuhan ko like fugazi, at the drive-in at dashboard. heck i thought dashboard wasnt emo.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2007, 09:00:30 AM »
Emo?

Emo Philips?

You mean this guy?

Sorry, couldn't resist... I have no idea what emo is... the first time I heard the term, I was like, "What the faack?!?! Another new genre!?!?" from that point on I adopted just three genres: "Music that I like," "Music that I do not like" and "Music that I could care less about."

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2007, 09:16:11 AM »
EMO = NEW GAY :-D

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:29:41 AM by zasam_4 »

Offline Deep_Blue

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2007, 09:37:50 AM »
did you know that some band doesn't like to be labeled emo (e.g. taking back sunday, funeral for a friend) they consider themselves as post-hardcore.
"I don't know anybody that uses the damn tone control on a guitar, at least I don't. For me, it's all the way up, period." -EVH

"I like thin frets, that way it's more precise, the bigger, the fatter the fret is the worse the intonation is."-EVH

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
i wouldn't call Taking Back Sunday post-hardcore. Hard alternarock maybe...
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Vantage

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2007, 11:38:15 AM »
I don't like the vocals, that's all.

And especially the listeners, it's worse here in Canada. :cry:

/slits wrist

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2007, 12:05:44 PM »
I don't like Emo...but with all due respect, Emo guitar players are good.
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...