hulika

Author Topic: What if: 1 Guitar + 3 Stompboxes + 1 Amp ONLY!!! what will be your setup?  (Read 66704 times)

Offline Kulas

@ kulas

u two chose 2 gain/drive pedals, tell us how u use them in a typical gig, which one is for which?

2 drive pedals, 2-3 gain stages. the TS-9 for rhythm work, the DS-1 for heavier rhythm work, both at the same time for lead work, the TS-9 acting as booster for the DS-1.

Offline jam_nineworkz

@ kulas

cool info..mind sharing even just  the ts9 setting in ur setup?  :-) ahem that makes me think, of
course in ur setup  ts9 works as a rhythm crunch tone but if the same setting will be a booster (in this case to the ds-1) the gain will slightly higher i mean boosting is like almost turning of the drive and more level and tone so how can u get crunch without driving it for your rhythm tone?..i'm confused hehe..secret ba settings? i too have 2 gain/drive pedals but the one is not for booster i have them for different use kaya i'm curious...or is it dependent on the DS1 setting?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:57:12 AM by jam_nineworkz »

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
@ nathan

cool guitar,cool! 2 gain drive pedals again so tell us which one is for which? ei check out my earlier post why i chose 3 effects only..hehe madami na pala sau un :-D
the miaudio is the main crunch pedal providing medium to high gain crunch. the gain knob is usually set from 10 to 12 o'clock, depending on how much i feel i need. i turn it up or down in between songs. same goes for the tone knob.

the sobbat drivebreaker db3 is for light crunch. drive and tone usually set to 12 o'clock.

solo boost comes from the db3's boost mode. it adds a bit of extra dirt too.

i sometimes use them together for higher gain stuff.

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
1 guitar? it will depend on my mood. either its my rj strat or my franken-sg.

3 pedals? hmm it depends. gig-wise, i would need to know our set list in advance, then sort out what i need. pi guess staple na yung ts7 sa set-up ko. now that leaves me 2 more pedals (assuming other gadgets like tuners and psus dont count).

normally the 2 pedals would go to:
a. flanger
b. delay or chorus

1 amp? kung meron, fender bassman. yung tweed ah. kaso wala akong ganun. in that case, amps will depend on whats on the venue. kung sa bahay, yung maliit kong practice amp. yun na yun.

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Marshall Tube>>DD3>>TS7(TS9Mode)>>Bad Monkey>>Fender Telecaster 1952 re-issue

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline soryano

My setup as of the moment

Ibanez RG320fm-tl - Boss CS-1- Boss BD-2 - MI Audio Crunch Box- Peavey Practice amp

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
@ ubersam

tell us more about ur guitar choice and what kind of music, and ur choice of 3 stomps bro that's basic as it can get but at the same time i can almost hear it's heavy too!
Ok, the guitar I listed is the first Ibanez I ever bought. Of my four guitars, it is my fav go-to guitar. I have shielded the p-up and control cavities with copper tape, replaced the stock p-ups with Dimarzio p-ups. It has an Air Norton in the neck, VirtuAL in the middle, and a Steve's Special in the bridge.

I bought the Road King II around June 2006 as a simpler alternative to my rack setup. It is like having four different amps, or one clean amp and three different dirt/distortion pedals plus reverb.

I have not used a dirt/dist pedal ever since I switched to a rack setup around 1999/2000. I don't really need one now because of the amps dirt/dist capabilities. So I just listed the amp's controller as Pedal 1 because you can think of it as three different dist/dirt pedals plus reverb.

Pedal 2: The ISP Decimator is one of the best noise gates available. I used it in the past to feed my rack preamp a clean signal. I have not used it with the RKII though.

Pedal 3: The modded wah actually belongs to someone else who had me mod it for him. It is a Dunlop Crybaby which has been modded to true hardwire bypass, adjustable Q (voice), adjustable gain (which also increases the bass response), and selectable sweep range (from treble-y to low-midrange-y), a switchable taper mod (traditional Hotz-Potz taper to simulated Icar taper), and most importantly: an Ultra-Bright Blue indicator LED.

We play anywhere from soft ballad-y stuff to heavy hard rock stuff. We do not really play any brutally heavy type stuff but I have used the RKII's Channel 4 on modern setting on some songs. If I tell you where we play this stuff, you probably will not believe me. Are you ready for this? We play in church (check out dreamcenter.org or angelustemple.org).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:19:15 AM by ubersam »

Offline enceladus19

guitar.. yamaha pacifica

peds.. kung 3 peds lng ung pag uusapan, i think the most important for me is having a dist, delay and a wah..
sa tugtugan namin ganun lang.. and those would be mt-2, dd-3, and a crybaby wah..

amp.. yamaha f-20.. haha.. ang hilig ko sa yupangco..

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
kung one guitar lang...

a fender strat with a floyd and humbucker......doesnt matter where it's made basta dimarzio na double coil ang bridge.

3 pedals  crybaby, boss sd 2 and line 6 na delay modeler

amp...... fender hot rod deville.....gamition ko din ang channel switching non.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline TheEdge

• Forum Fanatic
hehe kung tutuusin sobra na yung tatlo na stompbox, pero cge

cguro sa akin

Guitar:
Kahit ano basta hindi mabigat, maganda action, floyd, maganda pickup tas 24 frets

FX:
MT2/CHORUS/EQ

AMP?
Kahit ano basta hindi sira
You won't get what you expect, You get what you deserve

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ibanez AXS42

China Made Wah available from Raon
Boss DS1 Distortion
Nobels ODR1 Overdrive

Peavey Classic 30

heheheheheh.....wala mashadong reason
the axs42 is what i call my "in-between" guitar (between my strat and LP)
the pedals...these are what i have currently (plus a boss cs-1) and i just around with what I have so i guess...this is already my main pedal setup habang buhay hehehe
the classic 30...dream amp hehe.
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline koji

my dream set up gear hehehe.. sana magkatotoo..

GTR: Gibson Les Paul Zakk Wylde model

F/X: BOSS OD-20 / CE-20 / DD-20

AMP: Roland JazzChorus JC-120
"mabuhay ang gitaristang pinoy rakenrowl.."

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
mukhang magkakasundo kami ni gjuanengo.:-D

guitar:
- Gibson Zakk Wylde Bullseye Les Paul Custom (mirror finish)

stomps:
- Jim Dunlop ZW-45 Wylde Wah
- MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion
- MXR KFK-1 10-band EQ

amp:
- Randall Warhead

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
wow sakto. yan lang set up ko ngaun eh.

Ibanez RG2550 -->> BOSS TU 2-->> Digitech bad Monkey-->> BOSS SD 2 w/ BOSS FS5L-->>Line 6 Spider 2 30w for delay and reverb.

eto lang talga set up ko ngaun. so far i have 3 gain stages. Rythm coming from BM, boost from SD 2 crunch channel and heavy chug chug from SD 2's lead channel.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
sali ako.

Guitar: Peavey wolfgang

Amp:  A.R.T. Attack module

Stomps: Arion Chorus
             Volume pedal
             Digitech Digidelay

Offline jam_nineworkz

@ ubersam

cool info there man, whoa really? u play that rig in church? i too sometimes play sa church namin here in baguio but simple setup lang overdrives and delay for most of the parts...ei nice config on the pickups man can u combine neck and bridge only on your guitar i mean air norton and steve's? curious lang as how's that gonna sound...u sure can rock with that rig man! cool!

@ spilled milk

u too have two overdrive units, tell us how u use them...cool guitar too...

@ koji

hehe hayup naman pedal choices mo hehe cool!  :evil:

@ vaisteen

another two flavors of drive stomps there (badmonkey and sd2)...tell us more about the tones coming from that hybrid amp!

@ Taoistguitarist

also tell us about the amp, and damn basic din stomps ah! nga pala that chorus is getting collectable na noh? u love that chorus?

@ snid

hehe..weapons of mass destruction yan ah!  :evil:

Rock On!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:51:18 AM by jam_nineworkz »

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
^^^simple lang naman set up ko. BM for lite crunch sound, PG rytthm tones, then boost with SD 2 with added gain for smoother legato-ish application, then for heavy rythm and lead tones, same BM set up but boosted with SD 2's LEAD channel.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
reporter mode ka jam_nineworkz ah hehehe... we all feel like rock stars now! :)

as per your request, eto pic ng current home rig ko:

nahawa na ako kay pareng leech, carpet na lang ang pedalboard ko hehehe :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
post din ako ng hindi akin ha..

Fender VG Stratocaster

Jim Dunlop Crybabay Wah Original
a reliable EQ (pangtweak or pangboost siguro?)
Boss Acoustic Simulator (direct to the PA)

Fender Cyber Twin SE

of course di pa ako nakakagamit nito pero looks like magagawa ko na lahat sa setup na ito (on paper at least)
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
Eto sa akin:

Fender Stratocaster Maple Fingerboard w/ EMG SA set,EXG and SPC

ProCo Deucetone RAT
Boss RV-3
Behringer EQ700

Fender Blues Junior

I'd go with this set-up since
-I love the stratocaster
-I love the bite of RATs
-I can't do solos without reverb and delay
-I don't like excessive highs even with the RAT filter(low-pass filter) turned all the way up
-I love the Blues Junior because of it's unparalleled fender tone(even beats the Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Deluxe! imho)and its small size/lightweight but can be very loud! :wink:

I have all of those btw except for the RV-3, I use a multi for my mod effects. :-)
lagay ako pics kapag may chance hehe.

Offline hamsterjamster

• Forum Fanatic
guitar: aria pro2 lp lawsuit
efx: boss sd2-ph1r-dd6
amp: fender pro185 (pero hindi sa akin to :D)

Offline jam_nineworkz

@ poundcake

ser grabe din collection mo ng guitars ah, suhrs! hehe cool carpetboard! and by the way that guitar stand at the left is way cool!!! i'll post mine as soon makuha ko ung cam kow!!!

hehe oo nga..bali sa topic na to kasi gusto ko makakita ng 3 pedal setups of other people and how they use it and stuff para magkaroon din ako ng ideas on how can i maximize this kind of limited setup, plus of course more knowledge about guitars and amps...nahihiya nga ako magtanong eh pero i really want to hehehe nagiging informative na rin at the same time and thinking twice before GASing for more gear hehehe... :-D

to all those who r posting thanks u guys!  :evil:

and sa mga setup na nacucurious ako be ready for questions hehehe :-D

keep them coming!

rock on!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:22:31 AM by jam_nineworkz »

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
@ cumbersome

yup of course pinaka limited ung no fx,pero i think mas limited ung 1 acoustic only no amp just going to gig with just it and micing it up stright to PA!!!! :evil: and of course i know majority of us here are electric players with average of having 1 or 2 guitars and then 1-3,4,55,6,7,8,9 effects pedals and 1 or 2 amps :evil: hehehe...kaya for many downsizing ur rig/setup into 1 guitar,3 stomps and 1 amp is pretty limiting,pero the thing hir is what if and can you still getaway with it? so if ever u will take a 2nd look @ ur rig and can say: kaya ko pala ng simple setup!!!

I actually prefer doing acoustic gigs with just the guitar and a DI box direct to the PA. As for your 'minimized setup', i'd use a Strat plugged into a Classic 30, with a TS808 boosted by an OD-3 and modulated by a DD3.

Offline IncX

this is easy.

Guitar = washburn dimebag darell signature

Stompbox 1 = MXR smartgate

Stompbox 2 = Fulltone Choralflange

Stompbox 3 = line 6 echopark

Amp = mesa boogie triple rectifier (of course i dont own this) ... footswitches arent counted as stomp boxes, right? im glad we have the gain problem solved, hehehe....

*thats my dream set up and i dont own any of them except for the guitar

-*-

realistically speaking:

guitar = washburn dimebag

stompbox 1 = BBE sonic stomp

stompbox 2 = MT2 bakemono

stompbox 3 = errr... believe it or not i dont have a 3rd stompbox in real life .. errr, century chorus na lang (wala ng iba eh)

amp = b52 2x12 LG ... it has reverb, chorus and 2 overdrive modes as a footswitch.

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Fender Jaguar (my new GAS)

1 MT-2
2 GE-7
3 DD-6

Vox AC30