hulika

Author Topic: MACKIE CONTROL SURFACE  (Read 7219 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
MACKIE CONTROL SURFACE
« on: July 04, 2007, 10:56:21 AM »
any user of mackie control surface here ( Mackie MCU pro) ? been eyeing on that product for weeks now.. sayang kasi yung Tascam control surface .. they discontinued it.. Is it really wortht it?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 10:57:44 AM by BALDO »
Music is art in sound...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: MACKIE CONTROL SURFACE
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 10:59:17 AM »
i would recommend the mackie even if it werre a little pricier than the tascam.  why? ELECTRONIC LABels.  this might seem like a trivial thing, but trust me it's not.  :lol:
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline astrobog

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 11:22:55 AM »
musta Baldo?
Bumili ka na lang ng Digi003!! hehehe :-D
Shinji
Sound Creation Studio
www.soundcreation-ph.com

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 12:06:39 PM »
i use it. i use the main unit with an extender (16 faders) and the C4 plugin extender. the unit is nice although i don't know how mine compares to the new version. I have the all grey unit and they have one that has white trim on it or something. the support for cubase and nuendo might be better. i don't have complain'ts about the MUC because its well made and gets the job done.

the only qualm i have about the unit is that i wish the 16 (or more faders) came together in a single unit like the tascam or my Control 24. It sucks having to buy 2-3 units just to get a better representation of your virtual mixing environment. however, the unit is well made, the faders are smooth-almost as smooth as the Control 24's-and the support for the software suites out there are pretty good.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:10:22 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:16:57 PM »
astrobog musta na pare ko!!! digi003? hindi na..happy na ako sa MOTU HD 192  ko... saka nde ko na kailangan pang mag aral ulit ng ibang flatform like PROTOOLS.. ito ngang Nuendo eh hindi ko pa alam ng totally eh hehehe..
Abbys, yeah i think it supports Nuendo and Cubase well..me mga Face plate para sa controls na para sa Nuendo, Cubase, etc..
Music is art in sound...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 01:43:03 PM »
astrobog musta na pare ko!!! digi003? hindi na..happy na ako sa MOTU HD 192  ko... saka nde ko na kailangan pang mag aral ulit ng ibang flatform like PROTOOLS.. ito ngang Nuendo eh hindi ko pa alam ng totally eh hehehe..
Abbys, yeah i think it supports Nuendo and Cubase well..me mga Face plate para sa controls na para sa Nuendo, Cubase, etc..

yeah, the MCU should support cubase well, that was the reason I got it because I wanted something that would emulate the hardware interface on Cubase a'la Control 24 or whatever was closest to it at the time. However, some firmware versions of my unit had Cubase glitches that people complained about and some units reportedly shipped with the older firmware versions on them. I suspect all of this has been ironed out with the new releases. I never had problems with my unit integrating with Nuendo and CSX3 so I can vouch for those programs but C4 may be a bit sketchy if you use that.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »
yeah abbys i was playing with penny /giles faders and it felt GOOOOODD.. hmmm july 4th na nga pala.. i see some good DEALS at their site..
Music is art in sound...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 04:19:01 PM »
I honestly still don't know if I should invest on real flying faders of a DAW controller if I can get a less-expensive analog mixer with a nice 2-channel ADC.  Parang ang dating sa akin ng surface controller parang mouse lang na nilagyan ng buttons.    :?  :?  :?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »
I honestly still don't know if I should invest on real flying faders of a DAW controller if I can get a less-expensive analog mixer with a nice 2-channel ADC.  Parang ang dating sa akin ng surface controller parang mouse lang na nilagyan ng buttons.    :?  :?  :?

pwede din, parang nag summing mixer ka nalang pag ganon.  if you have a lot of outputs on your audio interface ok din analog mixer instead of a controller.  however, a controller is really convenient when it comes to automating a mix.  plus you can't beat the "whoa factor" of flying faders ;)  hehe. 
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 04:45:51 PM »

pwede din, parang nag summing mixer ka nalang pag ganon.  if you have a lot of outputs on your audio interface ok din analog mixer instead of a controller.  however, a controller is really convenient when it comes to automating a mix.  plus you can't beat the "whoa factor" of flying faders ;)  hehe. 

For the longest time I gassed for a TASCAM US-2400.  But time and again, I end up buying something else over it.  Say, more modules for my Randall RM100?  :-D Or more outboard compressors?  I have an old DOD 1220 Mixer and it does fine.  Maybe at least my clients can see a bunch of faders that's why...  :-D

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 04:55:18 PM »

For the longest time I gassed for a TASCAM US-2400.  But time and again, I end up buying something else over it.  Say, more modules for my Randall RM100?  :-D Or more outboard compressors?  I have an old DOD 1220 Mixer and it does fine.  Maybe at least my clients can see a bunch of faders that's why...  :-D

personally if i could do it all over again i think i would do without the flying faders and invest the money elsewhere.  you know what made me REALLY decide to go for the US-2400? clients.  their perception of the studio matters.  i think they get the feeling that a studio is a real studio if they see faders.  plus they get wowed when the faders move by themselves  :lol:  i dont mean to undermine the client' intelligence, mind you. just that impressions REALLY matter.  they are more at ease when they see some sort of mixer on one's worksapce. 

to be honest, i could still work without it.  BUT i will still need a jogwheel, LOL.  i was spoiled this way. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:57:17 PM by starfugger »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 06:01:42 PM »

depends what you want to do. i bought the MCU because I got used to using faders to do my automation on my Control 24 that I'd be damned if I was going to go back to using my mouse to draw in automation when I needed something done on the PC. Sure, I don't rent out my studio but how fast I go through projects matters to me a lot so my purchase was based on how efficiently the gear was going to make a difference in my workflow. I rarely look at the screen when I mix and I ride the faders out of habit so the investment was a no brainer.

Investing in a control surface over outboard gear is dependent on what you exactly need and want to accomplish. If you have outboard gear that you've grown to trust, invest in something else. Why change things that work for you? I mean, it doesn't make sense (to me) to keep on investing in the same thing all in the name of upgrading when you haven't really tapped into the potential of a piece of gear. I stick with pieces of gear for years on end before I even make a move to invest in an upgrade and this is mainly because I find it useless to waste money on something I haven't fully learned.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 06:15:03 PM »
Mackie schmakie... I'm gonna get me an Alpha Track one of these days.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 06:15:51 PM »

hihihi

kaso walang jog wheel, hehe.  yun nalang kulang mabubuhay na ata ako dito. kaso i think i would mind pressing the bank button 45 times to get to track 45, LOL. may workaround naman siguro :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:30:50 PM by starfugger »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 06:26:36 PM »

nice and simple. can't be beat:)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 07:31:29 PM »

well i think dapat IBA naman.. me ok na akong mic pre at AD converter.. nakaka inis na minsan kasi yung mouse eh.. 8-) x3 pa kasi wireless yung mouse ko..
Music is art in sound...

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 08:53:41 PM »

that's how gerard describes the control24's we have at gc4. it's a very big mouse.

some people are pretty good mixing with a mouse, but i also can't deny how a mix wherein the fades aren't too linear sounds so much more musical to me. then again, that could just be me.

i'm also trying to save up for a good summing mixer. like the tl audio m3. even just the 8 channel version.

============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »
BALDO! CEZAR!!  bilhin mo na yan! heheehe

Im also eying for that :D

o diba matching yung onyx mo at MCU :D
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 03:34:52 PM »
ala na..nde na ako nagising kanina eh..tapos na july 4th sale ..haaayyy..iintay pa ng susunod na holiday..
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »
Cezar, you need something like this then:

Dangerous 2-bus
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline GerardSalonga

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 03:11:05 PM »

that's how gerard describes the control24's we have at gc4. it's a very big mouse.

some people are pretty good mixing with a mouse, but i also can't deny how a mix wherein the fades aren't too linear sounds so much more musical to me. then again, that could just be me.

i'm also trying to save up for a good summing mixer. like the tl audio m3. even just the 8 channel version.

hehehe.  I was just thinking about that.  The difference is, you can't just mute 6 channels at a time with a mouse (unless you make a group, pero gagawa ka pa nga lang ng group), or grab 5 faders at a time and pull them down, or mess around with pan automation in one hand and volume in the other.  After getting used to the control24, I can safely say that there's no way I'd live without a control surface if recording and mixing were my everyday tasks.  There's nothing like reaching out and grabbing a fader or a knob and use your ears more than your eyes.  Sure, wala siyang bearing sa tunog mismo, pero napakalaking bagay pagdating sa efficiency and "fun" factor....for me anyway...and that has an effect on the sound.  One day I wish to have a Euphonix System5 MC....that for me is the ultimate in control surfaces.  If you have the dough, the SSL Duality isn't bad either :-)
less is more
www.musikanatin.com
ASUS P5B Deluxe, Win XP Pro SP2/3GB switch, 4G RAM, 160 system, 250 x2, 160 Glyph, 60 GLyph, Cubase 4, Kontakt 2, GS3, all the Spectra stuff, EWQLSO, VSL, GOS, SAM, and lots more

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 11:12:26 PM »
Never saw so many Control24's in one place. Thanks for giving me, Jepoy and Hazel the grand tour, Gerard!  :-D

Offline forerunnertech

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 11:35:27 PM »
you could ask Mark lacay, their studio, Sweetspot, has a room of the Mackie MCU, Extender & C4 with a pair of HR824s
Forerunner Technologies Inc.<br />Tel: 9263630/ 9252597<br />email:  info@forerunnertech.com

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 12:11:11 AM »
sorry forerunner.. ala ako jan sa pinas... para makita ko lang yang Mackie na yan bibili pa ako ng ticket na napakamahal at wala pang mabili kasi peak season.. :x.. nadisgrasya vacation ko..
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2007, 12:13:52 AM »
BTW i dont like the Mackie HR824.. i have used one.. mas GAMAY ko ang tunog ng mura kong EVENT spkrs hehehe.. bingi na yata ako kasi malapit sa Genelec yung dinig ko..  :-D :-D :-D which i am THINKING of getting kapag me pera na.. GAS IS KING hehehe  :evil:
Music is art in sound...