hulika

Author Topic: Custom Acrylic / Carbon Fiber / Fiberglass Drums and Percussion Thread *merged*  (Read 62970 times)

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
LOOKS
you be the judge. sorry i still cant set it up properly since i dont have money to buy L rod arms and tension rods. the claws and tension rods attached are from my pink kit. i did get to buy the claws last sunday but the tension rods that came with it dont fit the lugs.

toms are 10x7 and 14x11
bass is 18x16

more pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/27185619@N00/sets/72157594417578694/

SOUND
the 10" and 14" toms are deep and full sounding. it resonates very very well and the suspension mounts really do help a lot. no need to wallop the drums make it sing.

the 18" bass drum lacks oomph and its the size that is to blame. all i get is a big boomy sound. im still trying to get a thud sound from the heads. if all else fails then i'll consider porting the resonant.

i paired the kit with a pearl 14x3.5 steel free floater and got a perfect match volume wise. i tried using my other 14x5 maple snare but its too loud for the small kit and i needed to control my hits to balance the sound.

if you are curious if what acrylic sounds like, my answer would be, there's no such thing as "acrylic sound". i for one cant distinguish it from wood. maybe if i change heads to something im very familiar with like pinstripes i might notice a difference but im not that anal and the drums sound good as they are right now. you can distinguish wood, steel and acrylic on snares but its not apparent on the toms and bass.

PRICE
NOT CHEAP  :x i know many guys would still ask so the price is 26000 pesos for the shell pack (for the uninitiated, shell pack is the term used when buying drums only without hardware). what you see on the pic is all the 26k got me. i bought parts and hardware in a span of 18 months before finally buying the shells last xmas.

NOTES
all the shells are 1/4" thick with 1/4" reinforcement rings. cutting the bearing edges on the shells was a biyatch due to the shear thickness. the reinforcement rings is necessary for strength, it helps the shell stay round and also hold the glued seam together.

aquarian drumheads are too heavy if you are used to remo ambassadors. for the toms, i used double thins for batter and classic clear for the resonant. the classic clear heads are very good but the double plies are too muffled the toms sound boxy. i personally like open tom sounds and i didnt like the double thins at all. the classic clear heads were perfect, no muffling needed, open sounding but not ringy.

evans emad on the batter side and evans resonant on the errr...resonant side. i wasted money here since i liked the sound of the emad without the external muffler. i should have just bought something else.

NOT FOR GIGGING
2 reasons really, first is that its too heavy to lift and second is that you'd be really ticked if somebody bangs on it or you make a mistake and ding it.

REGRETS
i drilled the bass spurs too high up on the shell. the result is that it raises the drum only 1" off the ground when fully extended. this kills the idea of using a bass drum riser on the pedal side so the beater hits the center of the drum. i may have to build a craddle or just buy another beater and cut it down, either way, i cant do anything now since im bankrupt.

i should have went with a 20" or a 22" bass drum but i dont have a choice since i already bought the 18" heads and hoops more than a year ago.

special thanks to wax_static for sharing the acrylic source  :-D

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
Re: acrylic drums review
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 02:52:34 PM »
bro mgkano kuha mo sa 10 at 14 na shell? 10x10 sana at 14x14 sana kung maisipan ko sumubok hehehe... salamat
matututo kaya ako magdrums? kelan kaya iyon...

need gear: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=28593

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 02:55:25 PM »
sorry di ko masasagot yung tanong mo bro. tinanong ko lang yung bass drum na 2900, yung toms di ko na inalam. basta total nila 6300 para dun sa 3 shells.

tsaka baka ibang price din ibigay sa yo nung owner dahil nanghuhula lang sya sa presyo. swerte mo kung mas mababa mo mabili

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »
sorry di ko masasagot yung tanong mo bro. tinanong ko lang yung bass drum na 2900, yung toms di ko na inalam. basta total nila 6300 para dun sa 3 shells.
26k for everything - 6.3k for shells = 19.7k for hardware+heads. Not bad! Matinong hardware na ito. Dalhin mo 'to sa sunod na EB ha?

Pa-share naman ng contact :)
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
dalin sa EB? sa mini EB lang siguro. medyo takot pa ko pagamit dahil fragile yung shell at brand new yung heads  :-D well kung may madadala kayong batter heads why not

andito lahat contact info http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php?topic=32228.0

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »
when's the next mini-EB?
hehehe..
good job pao!

Offline Miggleness

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 11:34:30 PM »
nice review pao! At sobran ganda talaga tignan.  Tama ka, nakakatakot dalhin sa gig.  Baka hindi mapansin ng mga naglalakad tapos may bass drum na pala at nabangga na sila. :-o

hm. about sa bass drum try mo higpitan yugn batter ng konti.  nung bago kit ko kasi boomy sya at walang thud sound. Pero nagtagal parang balanced na yung tunog.  Baka kailangan lang mapalo yung head for a few weeks.

Matapos na sana ang project mo soon! :mrgreen:

Offline wax_static

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
alam ko tol matindi ang dinanas mong pagod at sakit ng ulo dyan... pero worth it naman!!!
job well done talaga... idol :D

thanks for mentioning, glad to be of some help and being part of your project... hehehe
pao... wag ka mag alala... hanap tayo mas mura na magiging source natin... :evil:

sama ko na dyan snare ko... hehehe
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:01:20 AM by wax_static »

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 08:15:34 AM »
when's the next mini-EB?
hehehe..
good job pao!

sa 13 gusto mo?

nice review pao! At sobran ganda talaga tignan.  Tama ka, nakakatakot dalhin sa gig.  Baka hindi mapansin ng mga naglalakad tapos may bass drum na pala at nabangga na sila. :-o

hm. about sa bass drum try mo higpitan yugn batter ng konti.  nung bago kit ko kasi boomy sya at walang thud sound. Pero nagtagal parang balanced na yung tunog.  Baka kailangan lang mapalo yung head for a few weeks.

Matapos na sana ang project mo soon! :mrgreen:

yup ginagamit gamit ko yung bass pero dahil sa size hindi talaga makapag produce nung thud na gusto ko. masyado na tunog plastic para dun sa acceptable thud tapos pag nilagay ko yung external muffler nagiging flop naman

alam ko tol matindi ang dinanas mong pagod at sakit ng ulo dyan... pero worth it naman!!!
job well done talaga... idol :D

thanks for mentioning, glad to be of some help and being part of your project... hehehe
pao... wag ka mag alala... hanap tayo mas mura na magiging source natin... :evil:

sama ko na dyan snare ko... hehehe

may naka line up pa kong sakit ng ulo ulit  :-D antay lang makabawi sa sweldo. need to replenish my pockets first then i'll do an evil wood thing  :evil: dami ko pa kasing parts sa bahay e

Offline wax_static

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
am I smelling a hybrid??? Bwahahahaha  :evil:

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 09:54:02 AM »
^^^ sshhhhh  :-P

kagabi ginamit ko sya together with my pink kit bass drum...swabeng swabe

notice the tom arm  :-D its a gibraltar clamp, kinabitan ko lang ng straight na bakal para para maging L arm hehehe improvised lang. mas gusto ko yung ganitong style kesa bumili ng L-rod na may ball and socket. i dont need infinite adjustment anyway and no memory locks needed

benta ko kaya yung 18? hmmm

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »
eto pala yung clamp na ginamit ko

Gibraltar SC-CLAC Cymbal L-Arm Adjustable Clamp

nabili ko lang ng 2.50 dollars sa US noon kasi missing yung L-rod nya.

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 01:59:42 PM »
Still waiting for Saturday.  :-D

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 09:28:31 PM »
hehehe sige text mo ko agad pag natapos na para mabuo na yan

test drive agad natin  :-D

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 09:56:29 PM »
by the way, was at yupangco earlier. jp and bea tested the 10" tom side by side with a session kit.

my observations:

- acrylic 10x7 is louder than 10x8 maple
- acrylic has more sustain even with a dead sounding head
- the session tom has controlled sound while my acrylic has more spread, its like playing inside a cave without having echoes
- my double ply head sucks tone, pearl protone single ply > aquarian double thin
- my 10" sounds like a 12", i guess its because of the double ply head again

hands down, the session tom owns my acrylic tom on recording. live playing without mics, the acrylic owns the session since the acrylic projects more

hope jp and bea post their observations as well

*fishball at rc cola sa gilid ng yupangco ASTIG! or maybe coz i missed eating them  :roll:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 10:00:04 PM by peeves24 »

Offline Miggleness

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 10:44:39 PM »
kulas is all over the map!

kitakits bukas!  Ano pala plano nyo ni Gep? baka pwede makasama jan! ehe

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 01:26:45 PM »
How the hell did you get that?
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 08:30:06 PM »
snare drum ni gep! sabay kami bumili ng shell sa MAC. na delay nga lang kasi natanggal yung pagkakadikit ng seam nya nung nag cut ako ng bearing edges. katatapos ko lang ngayon

eeewwwww yucky yung pagkakarepair ng MAC!!!

its on the kit and you know what happens afterwards...TEST DRIVE!

didnt have much time to play with it coz its already quarter to 8 when i got it set up...sounds like a steel snare without the metallic pang. its bright, it has lots of crack but it lacks body. maybe a heavier batter head will give it what its missing.

How the hell did you get that?

bigay sa kin ni santa  :-D but i was a naughty boy last year so he asked me to pay for it  :x

bought parts and built the kit myself

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 09:26:44 AM »
WOOHOO!!! Kitakits mamaya!

Hulaan mo kung sino ang nag-repair niyan sa MAC.  :-D

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
syempre si bespren, sya lang naman nagrerepair dun

namuti yung part na yun dahil sa smudge ng glue. di napunasan ng maayos kaya ayun natuyo. di ko na matanggal e

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 09:53:43 PM »
what's a review without a soundclip  :-D

http://www.raketship.com/drumblog/test4.mp3

doodles lang kanina...listen to the bass drum, just the bass drum...not the playing hehehe dont expect a solo coz i cant do that

recording setup:
1 pair behringer c2 condenser in XY config above my head
behringer ub1202
behringer uca202 usb interface
adobe audition
monitored thru 1 pair of tiny speakers built inside [gooey brown stuff] laptop

no eq or any processing

*medyo ngayon ko lang din narinig na masyado pa pala maluwag yung reso head kaya medyo basag yung dating sa mic

Offline PALO

• Netizen Level
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 11:02:43 PM »
nice one sir peeves!!!

Offline Miggleness

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 10:49:36 AM »
Nice one Pao!    Mukhang OKs naman ang bass drum, parang tama lang for its size.

Aling snare gamit mo?  Acrylic nga ba, bright kasi ng tunog.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 11:29:06 AM »
steel pearl free floater pero bright yan dahil sa pangit tunog ng drums sa kwarto ko. di ganyan tunog pag nasa ibang lugar.

isang problem ko lang sa 18" e mahina ang volume. di nito kayang sumabay kahit sa 60 watt guitar amp samahan mo pa ng bass amp

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »
first time kong na setup sila as a kit ngayong gabi. wala pa rin L-rod kasi wala talaga pambili. kanina ko lang naiisip na ikabit na lang yung old tom mount nung maya drums ko para magamit din yung pearl-type tom arms. kaya ayan:

problema ko pa rin yung 5 lugs para ma tune ko na ng maayos yung drums. very promising yung tunog at very wide ang tuning range, from deep to bright sound