hulika

Author Topic: Davao!---Interesting Stuff to see and do....  (Read 10227 times)

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
Davao!---Interesting Stuff to see and do....
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:48:08 PM »
Any tips and tricks to enjoy the city? Architecture? Food? Band Scene..what to buy for pasalubong..where to buy? Onli in Davao sights and sounds...beache resorts..hotels..cool hip places..  :-P

Share your thoughts here..

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Davao!---Interesting Stuff to see and do....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:49:47 PM »

Duterte
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 03:34:55 PM »
to be honest, davao isn't very nice when you think of it in a tourist point of view. the basic spots to go are:

1.) crocodile park - kind of a bad zoo

2.) phil eagle sanctuary - again, a bad zoo

3.) talikod island/samal - it used to be full of underwater life, but for the most part, they are gone now. but if you enjoy quiet beaches, you can find some in samal. also add, "paradise resort" ... the expensive version of the experience is Pearl Farm.

4.) eden nature park - kind of a nature resort. a relaxation or a bf-gf date kinda thing. as a tourist spot, it is not very exciting

5.) zipline - i do not know where, cause believe it or not, i havent tried it, despite it being just 20 mins away. dont worry, crocodile park will hook you up

6.) rafting - this is actually kind of fun. not very intense too. any sedentary person can enjoy it. again, croc park can hook you up

Food (note, food in davao is cheap, not exactly unique, but hella cheap):

1.) tsuru resto's buffet every 15th and 30th of the month - well, not that awesome when you are used to the HK's and the Singapore's, but this resto is probably not in manila, so it would be cool to eat here.

2.) Coco's Bistro - a cheaper version of restos like Chilli's and TGIF. try the cajun shrimp chowder

3.) Spirale - i am not sure if it is in manila... it's an italian resto. try the Sea Bass in White Wine (not the instrument lol), you will thank me for it.

4.) La Toscana - a small italian resto. it isn't corporate, so yes, try it before it eventually closes down.

5.) Burger Chef - a small burger resto owned by a french guy. again, indie stuff, not corporate. also, have you and your family's order taken by Pearl, an 8 year old girl that is very smart (she memorizes the specials and knows her food server basics)

6.) Ah-Fat Seafood House - most tourists visit this place. order the slipper lobsters. they are expensive but well, i dont think many restos serve it. this is a chinese restaurant btw

7.) Balik Bukid - its an organic resto. they serve stuff like blue rice and that really good tasting lechon kawali that goes by a different name

8.) Dexter's Pizza - a cheap pizza place. if you are tired of the corporate pizzas, well, this is a good alternative. this place is so cheap, its not somewhere you'd bring the whole family. its more of a barkada thing

9.) Lachi's - again, a resto tourist spot. its ultra small, but they have their versions of pinoy food stuff. however, they are very famous for their desserts. good luck finding a seat there during peak hours, cause this place is ultra small and personal.

10.) Dencia's - its a good breakfast place. its basically an institution. try their arrozcaldo and tokwa't baboy for breakfast. again, this is non corporate

11.) Bistro Rosario - the first fine dining place in davao city that is still alive. i have been eating here since i was 9 years old. they serve steaks and they play those frank sinatra songs. the cool part? it is hella cheap by manila standards.

anyway, enough with food. if you noticed, davao is a nice eating place just because of the price :)

Music. now, you will be disappointed ... davao music scene is not happening at all. i can count all the good drummers with one hand ... but just for the heck of it, if you really wanna check out it out:

1.) Sa'Less Bar - its the only place that allows independent music. it is so close knit that everybody knows everyone there. if you are not from davao, the people will know. as for the bands, they range from not being good, to terribad. you are blessed if you can hear someone sing in the right key. you can check out the original music scene via this webpage:

http://davaomusicnation.com/

you might say that, that page has the best orig music davao can offer.

2.) Matina Town Square (MTS) - this is where you check out the higher pay showbands. depending on your luck, this is where you usually find the talented musicians ... playing 90's hits or Bon Jovi ... which is kinda moot cause you won't get to see what they can really do with their instruments. but hey, at least in here you will get to hear someone sing in-key.

3.) Bogsers - this is a resto grill place near the beach ... and this is where the low pay showbands are. the music is hit or miss, one thing consistent though is that it is always outdated.

i think one of the best reason to be a tourist in davao is if you go the adventure route. i can recommend:

1.) Mt. Apo

2.) Caving - you can choose from a variety of trails and caves. just go to a nature shop you can find in: MTS, Madrazo Fruit Stand, Gmall

however, i think you should have a level of physical fitness to enjoy those trips. if you are sedentary, you'd only be in a bad mood.

Finally, malls!

1.) Gaisano Mall - check out the red carpet cinemas ... lazy boy recliners for only 200 pesos. this is a "student mall" ... expect a lot of people

2.) SM Ecoland

3.) SM Lanang - expensive mall food can be found here

4.) Abreeza - its an ayala mall

that's about it.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
to be honest, davao isn't very nice when you think of it in a tourist point of view. the basic spots to go are:

1.) crocodile park - kind of a bad zoo

2.) phil eagle sanctuary - again, a bad zoo

3.) talikod island/samal - it used to be full of underwater life, but for the most part, they are gone now. but if you enjoy quiet beaches, you can find some in samal. also add, "paradise resort" ... the expensive version of the experience is Pearl Farm.

4.) eden nature park - kind of a nature resort. a relaxation or a bf-gf date kinda thing. as a tourist spot, it is not very exciting

5.) zipline - i do not know where, cause believe it or not, i havent tried it, despite it being just 20 mins away. dont worry, crocodile park will hook you up

6.) rafting - this is actually kind of fun. not very intense too. any sedentary person can enjoy it. again, croc park can hook you up

Food (note, food in davao is cheap, not exactly unique, but hella cheap):

1.) tsuru resto's buffet every 15th and 30th of the month - well, not that awesome when you are used to the HK's and the Singapore's, but this resto is probably not in manila, so it would be cool to eat here.

2.) Coco's Bistro - a cheaper version of restos like Chilli's and TGIF. try the cajun shrimp chowder

3.) Spirale - i am not sure if it is in manila... it's an italian resto. try the Sea Bass in White Wine (not the instrument lol), you will thank me for it.

4.) La Toscana - a small italian resto. it isn't corporate, so yes, try it before it eventually closes down.

5.) Burger Chef - a small burger resto owned by a french guy. again, indie stuff, not corporate. also, have you and your family's order taken by Pearl, an 8 year old girl that is very smart (she memorizes the specials and knows her food server basics)

6.) Ah-Fat Seafood House - most tourists visit this place. order the slipper lobsters. they are expensive but well, i dont think many restos serve it. this is a chinese restaurant btw

7.) Balik Bukid - its an organic resto. they serve stuff like blue rice and that really good tasting lechon kawali that goes by a different name

8.) Dexter's Pizza - a cheap pizza place. if you are tired of the corporate pizzas, well, this is a good alternative. this place is so cheap, its not somewhere you'd bring the whole family. its more of a barkada thing

9.) Lachi's - again, a resto tourist spot. its ultra small, but they have their versions of pinoy food stuff. however, they are very famous for their desserts. good luck finding a seat there during peak hours, cause this place is ultra small and personal.

10.) Dencia's - its a good breakfast place. its basically an institution. try their arrozcaldo and tokwa't baboy for breakfast. again, this is non corporate

11.) Bistro Rosario - the first fine dining place in davao city that is still alive. i have been eating here since i was 9 years old. they serve steaks and they play those frank sinatra songs. the cool part? it is hella cheap by manila standards.

anyway, enough with food. if you noticed, davao is a nice eating place just because of the price :)

Music. now, you will be disappointed ... davao music scene is not happening at all. i can count all the good drummers with one hand ... but just for the heck of it, if you really wanna check out it out:

1.) Sa'Less Bar - its the only place that allows independent music. it is so close knit that everybody knows everyone there. if you are not from davao, the people will know. as for the bands, they range from not being good, to terribad. you are blessed if you can hear someone sing in the right key. you can check out the original music scene via this webpage:

http://davaomusicnation.com/

you might say that, that page has the best orig music davao can offer.

2.) Matina Town Square (MTS) - this is where you check out the higher pay showbands. depending on your luck, this is where you usually find the talented musicians ... playing 90's hits or Bon Jovi ... which is kinda moot cause you won't get to see what they can really do with their instruments. but hey, at least in here you will get to hear someone sing in-key.

3.) Bogsers - this is a resto grill place near the beach ... and this is where the low pay showbands are. the music is hit or miss, one thing consistent though is that it is always outdated.

i think one of the best reason to be a tourist in davao is if you go the adventure route. i can recommend:

1.) Mt. Apo

2.) Caving - you can choose from a variety of trails and caves. just go to a nature shop you can find in: MTS, Madrazo Fruit Stand, Gmall

however, i think you should have a level of physical fitness to enjoy those trips. if you are sedentary, you'd only be in a bad mood.

Finally, malls!

1.) Gaisano Mall - check out the red carpet cinemas ... lazy boy recliners for only 200 pesos. this is a "student mall" ... expect a lot of people

2.) SM Ecoland

3.) SM Lanang - expensive mall food can be found here

4.) Abreeza - its an ayala mall

that's about it.

thanks man!!! really appreciate this!... he food places are AWESOME!!! Im drooling! hahaha and afforadble by manila standards!

which is better paradise or chemas?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:49:45 PM by gandydancer123 »
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 03:50:33 PM »
i havent been to chemas (not a beach person) ... Paradise is pretty OK though. nice cottages, food is decent enough, the activity centers are enough to keep you occupied

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
i havent been to chemas (not a beach person) ... Paradise is pretty OK though. nice cottages, food is decent enough, the activity centers are enough to keep you occupied

roger that! thanks thanks!! really appreciate the tips.. food trip  places are awesome!!!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 02:48:49 PM »
Good morning - maayong buntag
Good afternoon is maayong hapon
Good evening is maayong gabii
Welcome is maayong pag-abot or just say welcome they all know
Please is palihug
Yes is oo or shake your head up and down twice
No is dili or wala or shake your head left to right and back
Thank you is salamat
Where is asa
Why is ngano man
What is unsa
Why is ngano
To tell taxi or jeepney driver to stop say lugar lang
Enjoy!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 07:44:35 AM »

^ nice! informative  :-D
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
Good morning - maayong buntag
Good afternoon is maayong hapon
Good evening is maayong gabii
Welcome is maayong pag-abot or just say welcome they all know
Please is palihug
Yes is oo or shake your head up and down twice
No is dili or wala or shake your head left to right and back
Thank you is salamat
Where is asa
Why is ngano man
What is unsa
Why is ngano
To tell taxi or jeepney driver to stop say lugar lang
Enjoy!

or you can just speak tagalog. davao is pretty much OK with tagalog, it is cebu that would rather speak english than tagalog lol

if you speak tagalog, you'd get the chance to listen to davao's version of bis-log. a visaya and tagalog hybrid.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 12:15:50 AM »
This thread is where I appreciate someone being negative (spin: realistic and honest hahaha).  The food did it for me. I'm going there!

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 12:16:27 AM »
Basta libre mo ako Reuel ha! Hahahaha

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 08:18:02 AM »
Basta libre mo ako Reuel ha! Hahahaha

lol sure ... just tell me in advance so i can set my sched

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 09:05:46 AM »
lol sure ... just tell me in advance so i can set my sched

Hahaha me too! Me too! !!!!

Going soon...lets see if we could meet up! And talk bass gear in the flesh.. :drool:

sayang if only francis was back home too..and may gigs pa band mo..anyway ill keep in touch!woot!

Again..

Thanks for the tips!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
foodie guy here!

sa description ni reuel about davao ---> sounds interesting and inviting  :)

mt.apo lang naman ang interesado ako , ngayon pati food tourism davao has to offer.
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 10:46:12 AM »
heard taxi drivers are good and give the exact change..unemployment is low and people take pride of their jobs...

hoping for a "faith in humanity restored" experience..when I visit..hehehe  :-D
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »
concern ko sa davao e --> i smoke a lot , baka mabagansya ako ng di oras hehe

though i believe may designated smoking area naman pero very limited nga lang

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »

read before, na lunch time ka nalang at tuwing gigs ka nalang nagyoyosi..nabalik uli yung habit? :-(
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 11:28:21 AM »
oo e hehehe since nabalik ako sa site para mag assist sa take off ng structural

pero next week balik head office nako sa makati baka mabawasan na ulit  :-D

Offline avatar

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 11:49:33 PM »
@gandy if you want peace and quite then chemas is the better option...paradise is cheaper though and more accessible.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »
@gandy if you want peace and quite then chemas is the better option...paradise is cheaper though and more accessible.

thanks avatar!

actually.. that was my first impression when I saw the pics on the web...I prefer that vibe versus the too many kids and families flocking aura of the other one..(based on the photos ha) hehe
anyway we booked chemas.. hehe

Thanks Man!! really appreciate it..quite relieved to find out na tama nga yung hunch ko..haha

cheers Avatar!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline avatar

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 12:49:07 AM »
you're welcome...btw just to add to Reuel's list

1. Tio Cococ's - I just recently discovered this restaurant...small place, awesome food.
2. Ellen's Tuna Queen - Lutong-bahay type of place. Try their Tuna sisig, laing, halo-halo and a few other takes on local delicacy. You can ask they owner for recommendations (she's almost always there).
3. Pidok's - They sort of rebooted the franchise and came up with even better food and service this time. If you order the bamboo rice the staff will announce its arrival  :-D
4. Red Corner - extremely small (cramped even) Boxing-themed burger place.
5  Cafe Tavera - the menu is a bit expensive compared to most local restos but the salted shrimp  and dragon balls are really good.
6. Lachi's - I know Reuel listed this already but I'll mention it again...don't forget to reserve a slot in advance so you can avoid the queue (082 224 5552)
7. Huckleberry Southern Kitchen & Bar - new place, haven't tried it yet but seemed to get good reviews from friends...try mo na lang ;)

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 07:48:14 AM »

lol the "smoking areas" are also the same places where there's no chance a patrol would see you

hope to see you in davao though, hehe

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 09:06:37 AM »
lol the "smoking areas" are also the same places where there's no chance a patrol would see you

hope to see you in davao though, hehe

soon bro! haha or brah?  :-P  pag nag gig ka na ulit, as in solo bar gig, balitaan moko gawan ko ng paraan.

BTT:

gusto ko makakita ng totoong philippine eagle

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 04:55:55 PM »

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 03:06:16 PM »
now eating at marina restaurant...hehe
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *